The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i have a mixing delema and i need great advise please help!!!!!!! DAW Software
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

i have a mixing delema and i need great advise please help!!!!!!!

Ok i am recording for this one cat who insist on using this beat he obtained from some early fl studio producer from like 3 years agO. I advised him to not use the beat but he insist. my problem is is that the beat is not mixed good at all but the song is alright. what can i do to make this track more professional seeingas how i do not have any original files to remix the beat with. should i eq the beat, multi ban it, eq the vocals different or is it a lost cause . i need help
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

By "beat" do you mean that you have multiple drum stems?
Can't you guys just reopen the file in FL Studio if needed?

It doesn't sound that bad to me. It's not great, but if the artist/producer is fine with that... then that's their call.

My problems are that the high hats and the other high frequency things sound horrid. Maybe it's the MP3. The vocals are really sylabant as well.

If anything, why don't you just replay the parts? It's just a simple drum beat, piano and a few other things. Not that hard. Or just sample replace the drums.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
By "beat" do you mean that you have multiple drum stems?
Can't you guys just reopen the file in FL Studio if needed?

It doesn't sound that bad to me. It's not great, but if the artist/producer is fine with that... then that's their call.

My problems are that the high hats and the other high frequency things sound horrid. Maybe it's the MP3. The vocals are really sylabant as well.

If anything, why don't you just replay the parts? It's just a simple drum beat, piano and a few other things. Not that hard. Or just sample replace the drums.
the guy is long gone and in another state. this is a beat the guy had when i met him. believe me if i had the project files i would work magic on it but i dont have itso i have to make due with what version came on the scratched cd he gave me. thats why i am asking for advise, the only thing i can edit is the vocals and a mp3 of a old beat. its probably just a lost cause
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's a hard place. It's too bad that you guys just can't give the guy a call and get the session files. Yet again, a strong reason for documentation and extra backups of all session documentation. However I realize that this is a problem on the client side, so moving on for how to fix it.

First of all, what's the guy's budget for fixing it? Is he ok with another 20 hours of your studio time to remake the track? OR is he sitting there wanting a 20 minute fix for the piece of poop he brought in.

If he's got a budget, then it's to your benefit and to his to remake the track as much as possible. Replaying the piano parts and stuff isn't a big deal. It's just a quick progression. There's the little stabs in the back and are easily replacable or you can sample them out of the song. You can keep some things like the harpsichord at the beginning. The beat itself shouldn't take any time to remake. If he doesn't want to remake it, you could go through and just do some sample augmenting and replacing of the kick and snare.

I also think some of the vocal delay things that you're doing could be made a little better.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

i might try remaking it

sound like a good idea.. as far as the delay on the vocals. for some reason in sonar it sounds right but when i render it it has this chop skip feel to it. could be my cpu processor skipping a beat but i have no clue why it does that when its rendered. i am running a delay though a send and slightly panning the return.
the dudes budget is decent. he is not rich but mixed with alittle friendship his money goes along way with me. i can even take it to school and have it mastered in a nice pt studio but then i wouldnt be learning anything and i would not get credit for the project. i am trying to score points with it as well for being able to fixsomething that was broken but mostly to get his song done right caus he is in love with the version on that cd. its just my ears go crazy when i try to mix it cause its a horrible beat
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

any one else

anything will help. the quality of the mp3 is rendered very low cause i was having trouble uploading it so that raspy tube sound on the vocals is much cleaner in the full version and the esss es are not that dramatic in the real version either
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i was in the same situation when some guy brought me a FL stereo mix and it sucked, i told him i can do my best, i put a multiband comp, the renEQ and the L2 on it, it came out decent, i would say get an EQ you are familiar with and sweep through the bands, when you find the problem frequency, use a narrow Q to start and widen it until you feel like it will sit well with the rest of the mix, i hope this helps
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Is it fruity loops fault are your just trying to make the program look bad?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee702 View Post
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
seems like a trend on this board today.................. :p
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm pretty sure the guy meant no derogatory statement towards FL. He said the stereo mix was **** and "matter of factly" mentioned it was made in an old version of FL Studio. Calm down guys..i like FL too
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
i'm pretty sure the guy meant no derogatory statement towards FL. He said the stereo mix was **** and "matter of factly" mentioned it was made in an old version of FL Studio. Calm down guys..i like FL too
Yea guys, let's not play the game of 'Jump to conclusions'.

He had a clip of it up there, and it didn't sound great. I could see how the client would have been happy enough with it when they got it initially, but how it wouldn't hold up in the long term against other better material.

He took down the clip (i'm guessing so it wouldn't float around and back to the client) which is reasonable. Let me just say, he's not just bashing FL. The clip could have been made in Logic, or whatever else, but just poorly done.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

I just want to point a few ting out that may help in the situation...

SADLY... this is a much more common occourance than one might expect.. even in many major label situations. Even on some Singles. I do alot of remix work and Ive gotten mix session from more than one camp (and I do mean major here I just dont want to name names) where they had mixed to a 2 track. I would say maybe they had mixed the beat and flew in a mixed 2 track to the vocal session but the 2 tracks in question all had like 4 EQs on them and usually a little content was added.. Like a pad in the Hook or live bass or whatnot.

But that was Not your problem...

It sounds like you problem is more that the 2 track is complete garbage.. Also because your saying FL Im going to guess there is probably some sample content that is the bulk of the track? (I realize this a BIG assumption, Im not trying to say ANYTHING by it, just a trend I have noticed) In the past I had much success in mixdown by finding the area of the track thats Broken down the most, and looping that and then just re doing the drums, which can USUALLY be done pretty fast. I use Logic for this and Its been widely successful to me.. Good Luck.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

sorry guys i took down the mp3 i posted

some guy up top gave me some advise and i decide to remake the beat and it worked far better than trying to mix a beat i could not edit.
i meant no harn to fl studio. i actually stand by it with a iorn fist. the sequencer is standard and it may not be the best program out but as long as you have your own sound banks and techniques the program become a means or organizing sounds you have. im not a pro so i have no need for a pro program. but i jusrt started my beats making and i prefer sonar for midi. like through the triton or mp7 but fl studio ok in my book. if your good it will shine through a program as bad as acid......(remember i was the one who bashed acid) which i take back cause i thought the dude was recording vox in it. he was using it for a sequencer which i never have so i take back all my mean and nasty speaches about acid. lol
if you all like i can re up load the mp3 but it is pointless cause i fixed the problem...peace
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Ummm...

How bout you make a beat in FL Studio and I'll do a whole song in Acid and we can compare?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

ok

i am always down as well. how aout we both make a beat in acid and i will record vox in my daw and you use acid and we will compare.
cause i like to think i kinda know what i am doing. I dont completely know and never will but with that simple of a program how could you lose.....
see im **** talkin tryna toget you pumped up for a challenge. is that spelled right....challenge. it looks weird......nevermind. i am up for it. lets do it and let the fine people of gear sluts decide
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Heres a song that was finished a lil while ago. Recorded completely in Acid 6 Pro

greenline - the realness.mp3 - 5.65MB
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I AM AT WORK NOW.....

I GET OFF AT 7 SO I SHOULD HAVE MINE POSTED BY TOMMOROW MORNING
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I CLICKED ON YOUR LINK

AND GOT THREE POP UPS TRYING TO SELL ME SOMETHING....WHAT IS UP WITH THAT
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I DID A TRACK

WITH ACID ON THE BEAT AND SONAR FOR THE DAW. AND I ALSO DID ONE WITH FRUITY LOOPS ON THE BEAT AND SONAR FOR THE DAW.

IN THE MEAN TIME FEEL FREE TO CHECK THESE OUT.

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/FEEDBACKPRODUCTIONS

OHH I WILL POST A MP3...NOT A LINK TO MY MY SPACE OR SOUND WHATEVER. I DONT NEED THE SONG PLAYS
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
AND GOT THREE POP UPS TRYING TO SELL ME SOMETHING....WHAT IS UP WITH THAT

Its a typical zshare link... I dont get any ads... Weird.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

HERE IT IS PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR MP3 NOT A LINK

THE SMALL CHALLENGE WAS TO MAKE A BEAT USING THE SAME PROGRAM(ACID) AND TO RECORD A TRACK TO THAT BEAT USING OUR OWN DAWS. I WAS TOLD THAT ACID COULD PRODUCE THE SAME SOUND I GET FROM MY DAW.....SO....LETS SEE WHICH ONE DOES A BETTER JOB .

I DID NOT PAY TO HAVE THIS PRODUCED. THE TRACK WAS MADE FOR THIS THREAD AND NO REAL POINT IS IN THE TRACK OTHER THAN TO SHOW OFF THE DAW
Attached Files
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

YO I JUST GOT YOUR LINK TO WORK SON

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyntime View Post
Heres a song that was finished a lil while ago. Recorded completely in Acid 6 Pro

greenline - the realness.mp3 - 5.65MB
THE TRACK IS DOPE. I AINT A HATER YO. SOUNDS LIKE VOCALIGN THOUGH. THATS A PROTOOL EXCLUSIVE.....SO YOU RECORDED THAT TRACK IN ACID???? LET ME KNOW
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Undo your caps lock button and stop yelling.

The drums dont' sound bad in the new one, but in "I got something to say" the drums just sound soft. Maybe i'm just used to the massiveness of my machinedrum going through distortion boxes and filters, but they don't wake my neighbors upstairs.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I couldnt do anything in PT even if I wanted to as I dont have any compatible devices.. Guess that explains why I dont know what vocaline is lol

Heres a screenshot of the Acid session.

http://www.choccity.net/crap/Screenshot.jpg
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
THE SMALL CHALLENGE WAS TO MAKE A BEAT USING THE SAME PROGRAM(ACID) AND TO RECORD A TRACK TO THAT BEAT USING OUR OWN DAWS. I WAS TOLD THAT ACID COULD PRODUCE THE SAME SOUND I GET FROM MY DAW.....SO....LETS SEE WHICH ONE DOES A BETTER JOB .

I DID NOT PAY TO HAVE THIS PRODUCED. THE TRACK WAS MADE FOR THIS THREAD AND NO REAL POINT IS IN THE TRACK OTHER THAN TO SHOW OFF THE DAW
Actually the challenge was for you to do your track completely without Acid and me completely with to compare end results. Its OK if you used Acid for the beat though... Very good choice to do so

I dig the track, it sounds really good. The beat is tight but I do think the drums are waaay far back in the mix (not that that would have a whole lot to do with the object of this challenge, just an observation)

Basically my main point is that its not so much what DAW your using, its whats going into your DAW and what you do with it once its there.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually the challenge was for you to do your track completely without Acid and me completely with to compare end results. Its OK if you used Acid for the beat though... Very good choice to do so

I dig the track, it sounds really good. The beat is tight but I do think the drums are waaay far back in the mix (not that that would have a whole lot to do with the object of this challenge, just an observation)

Basically my main point is that its not so much what DAW your using, its whats going into your DAW and what you do with it once its there.
well like i said im no hater and that track was hot. good****
i officially have no stigma against acid. not that i really did to begin with and creating the beat in that program was different but not bad. i guess im just used to my ****
whats your myspace.
anytime you wana colab hit me up i like your presence on that track

what vocalighn is is a program that takes your overdubs,marks the transiets and lines up your over dubbs perfect to your lead track.
so i guess you could take that as a compliment cause if your overdubs are that on....its a good thing right. anyway this thread has died. ill see you around...peace
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

MySpace.com - Justyn Time - HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - Rap / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/greenlinetime

Vocalign sounds like a time saver lol I do that **** by eye if I hear something off... So theres nothing like that that works outside of pro tools?
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm still trying to understand the benefits of using vocalign vs just getting the signer to have any skill or tightness. That's your job as a producer and vocal coach.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

nope

Quote:
MySpace.com - Justyn Time - HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - Rap / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/greenlinetime

Vocalign sounds like a time saver lol I do that **** by eye if I hear something off... So theres nothing like that that works outside of pro tools?
vocalighn i believe is a pro tools plug only...... i have a tool called audio snap in sonar 6 producer that does the exact same thing but if the artist is off alot tehn it kinda adds a small time stretch to the vocal creating a unnatural sound to it. even though i just want it to mark transiets and move em you can achieve better effects with doing it by hand but like you said it takes forever but it a art of time right

MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search