The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
9th Wonder - Does this man have the worst mixes ever? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

9th Wonder - Does this man have the worst mixes ever?

I been listening to a lot of this guys stuff after hearing he uses FL to produce his stuff. Something that hit me straight away after listening to the beat CDs was how incredibly bad his drums and mixes were.

It seriously sounds like he sampled 1 shot drums sounds from low bit-rate Mp3s and then looped them in Fruity Loops. The sound quality is just terrible. How do you guys rate 9th Wonder? To me, he could be one of the wackest producers in hip-hop.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

You're trippin for real.
It's supposed to sound like that ,that's his style (I don't even agree with this "sounds like mp3" stuff).
That's just some raw-beats. Personally I really dig that sound.
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Not trying to sound like a hater, but I really don't understand what people see in this guy's beats.

I mean apart from his appalling mixes, there is no dynamics in his drums at all. He just samples one kick and one snare from a old soul record - puts it on to Fruity Loops drum sampler and then thats it.

Compare him with someone like Dilla and you will see a huge difference. Dilla always samples multiples kicks and snares from records - although they sound similar, there are a lot of dynamics going on in his drums - which is why a lot of people say it sounds like he is using a real drummer.

All the "sampling" producers such as RZA, Just, Kanye, Pete Rock have that lo-fi sound that 9th Wonder is going for, but the difference is their beats actually bump and don't sound like it was mixed on a $500 laptop running $50 software.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

lets hear one of your beats

i really dont see anything wrong with his beats. I am a big fan of the work that he does for sean price. all of the monkey bars album was hot as **** and 90 percent of thebeats are ninth wonder. the kid actually has some production skill as well and i guess when it all boils down to it , talent speaks with proof. like 9th wonder works with major artist, you dont. i have a gold record on my wall for selling sound tracks in europe , you dont, 9th wonder dont put down things that in all actuality are good, you do. that why your on gear sluts woofen and he is making tracks and getting payed.
no disrespect bu the proof is in the puddin, it is what it is
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Terrible

Of course its sounds like sh-t. He uses FL Studio! FL Studio has the worst rendering engine on the planet plus the fact the guy doesn't know how to master for sh-t, you have the perfect combination for a terrible sound.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Of course its sounds like sh-t. He uses FL Studio! FL Studio has the worst rendering engine on the planet plus the fact the guy doesn't know how to master for sh-t, you have the perfect combination for a terrible sound.
The FL engine is cool.
It's funny how ppl blaming always the program/gear...but I guess it's always like that...if someone can't make it happen with a specific tools ,the tool is wack not the operator.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

his mixes sound good to me, but his beats are garbage the only one I heard that is dope is the one he did For Jay
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I DID THIS BEAT ON FL

I MADE THIS BEAT IN FL MIXED IT AND THEN RAPPED OVER IT THEN MIXED IT AGIN TO GET WHAT YOU HEAR. NOW I DID THIS BACK IN 2004. YOU WILL PROBABLY KNOCK THE SONG BUT THE QUALITY IS ALL THERE SON CHECK IT
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
The FL engine is cool.
It's funny how ppl blaming always the program/gear...but I guess it's always like that...if someone can't make it happen with a specific tools ,the tool is wack not the operator.

CHUUUUCH

<--- me jumping to shout music...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
I MADE THIS BEAT IN FL MIXED IT AND THEN RAPPED OVER IT THEN MIXED IT AGIN TO GET WHAT YOU HEAR. NOW I DID THIS BACK IN 2004. YOU WILL PROBABLY KNOCK THE SONG BUT THE QUALITY IS ALL THERE SON CHECK IT
IT WONT ATTACH. I DONT KNOW WHY I WILL KEEP TRYING
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

guess i shoulda read the postng rules dumb me

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
IT WONT ATTACH. I DONT KNOW WHY I WILL KEEP TRYING
im a ******
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

9th Wonder is the kind of producer who is his own brand....like Pete Rock. He isn't about sounding big or getting big. He does it for the love of it.

I read on hear he is a full time school teacher. I personally respect him 100X more for that.

Anyway, I haven't ever heard anyone say his mixes or masters were the best around, just that his beats were good.

Who really gives a **** about mixes and masters anyway? An incredible beat will display its potential even with a **** mix and a **** master.

If you think a better mix or a better master is what will take your beat to the charts than you are way mistaken.

9th Wonder is a brand. If you don't like it shop somewhere else.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Who really gives a **** about mixes and masters anyway? An incredible beat will display its potential even with a **** mix and a **** master.
Check out all the theads on how great Dre's or Tim's or the Neptunes or fill-in-the-blanks mixes sound. THAT is a very small sampling of who really gives a ****.

Mostly, the people who don't give a **** are people that don't know **** about music.

Most of the people reading this post gve a **** about mixes and masters.

A great sounding mix won't help you sell many more records, but ****ty sounding mixes don't become the stuff of legend very often either.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post

Im not even sure that 9th Wonder renders using FL. If im not mistaken I think he rewires it to another DAW program like PT to bypass having to export seperate files out, which wastes a lot of time.

Think of it like this though.... The last time I can remember what he was doing with his setup, the dude was using an Art Tube MP as his preamp for tracking vocals, and even with that he is recording artists at his setup and assisting in making songs that music lovers are willing to bump all day.

How much of you guys hating on the man, who happen to have access to even better equipment can say that you have even one other person besides yourself bumping any of your tunes, at any time of the day?

Get at us with a straight up answer and some proof

Stop watching other dudes so hard and go do some real work...
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Im not even sure that 9th Wonder renders using FL. If im not mistaken I think he rewires it to another DAW program like PT to bypass having to export seperate files out, which wastes a lot of time.

Think of it like this though.... The last time I can remember what he was doing with his setup, the dude was using an Art Tube MP as his preamp for tracking vocals, and even with that he is recording artists at his setup and assisting in making songs that music lovers are willing to bump all day.

How much of you guys hating on the man, who happen to have access to even better equipment can say that you have even one other person besides yourself bumping any of your tunes, at any time of the day?

Get at us with a straight up answer and some proof

Stop watching other dudes so hard and go do some real work...
I just don't understand

I mean this guy 9th Wonder is probably a millionaire many times over, and he is still using FL studio and an Art Tube. Is he just lazy or so ******** he doesn't know how to step up his game. I remember when Just Blaze first came out, he sorta had that low quality [mp3/9th wonder] sound, then he actually invested in some decent equipment - and look at him now, his stuff is nearly on the same level as Dre.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

doesn't mean he mixes in fl.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

please spare us the "FL sounds like crap" argument..........................

.....just saying tho.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenscohen View Post
I just don't understand

I mean this guy 9th Wonder is probably a millionaire many times over, and he is still using FL studio and an Art Tube. Is he just lazy or so ******** he doesn't know how to step up his game. I remember when Just Blaze first came out, he sorta had that low quality [mp3/9th wonder] sound, then he actually invested in some decent equipment - and look at him now, his stuff is nearly on the same level as Dre.
Damnit ,I know ppl who got their money right and still driving around without a 7er BMW or a Porsche.

Why`? Because they are cool with their old car.

At first it's not low quality mo3 sound ,you maybe only got his records as low quality mp3. IT'S A SOUND: HIS SOUND.
So why are you hating man?
He got a big fanbase.
PPL who love his music ,who feel it.
He gotta do at least SOME things right.
And in my humble opinion this guys does a damn lot right.

And whats wrong with FL and the Art Tube if he can make a hit with this equipment?
I don't get your point.

Anyway since you are judging the sound of all those Producers out there:
Show us your beats pls ,I'm curious to hear them.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't understand

I wouldnt compare Just Blaze to Dr. Dre, that comparison makes no sense. Their styles are totally different from each other, and they both kick ass on every production they work on. Equipment wise, they are both in the same league, and they both use basically the same vocal chain to record their vocal work.
They are both at the top of their game, and they happen to be two out of my top 5 for most fav producers of all time.
Now if you wanted to say who the better produer was overall, in terms of what they contribute to a song other than banging out a sick beat, thats when I would clearly rate Dr. Dre over Just Blaze.....

9th Wonder using FL Studio and Art Tube MP, has nuthin to do with being lazy, he just knows what he wants, and he is satisfied with the results he gets from what he currently owns. Some ppl just dont like change, and you cant hate on the man for that if he is still getting good results out of what seems to be mediocre gear.

Give him the same things you have in your studio and he'd probably whoop your ass with it lol...
So why should you care what he does? He is your competition. If you have better gear, and you think you can do better, than you should feel happy that he chooses to use what he uses.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

check it

Also something to consider. Alot of up and comming artist who really study there equipment find that aot of cuircitry designs closley resemble thatof other big names in equipment with the exception of a transistor or tube brand. so artist who are savvy find ways to replace these transistors and tubes creating a unique sound basically only using the art for its design and replacing the quality makes it great plus depending on where you order your parts from you may be ale to achieve a sound that no one else can or a sound 20 times the cost of you r equipment. this producer i work under took a beringer unltra gain pre amp and replaced the transistors in it and the tubes and paired it up with a nueman 103 and it souns awsome. i think he side chaines a dbx compressor as well but the sound it incredibal and it was cheap if you have common knowlege of a cuircit board. i dont so i must suck hahahahaha
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
A great sounding mix won't help you sell many more records, but ****ty sounding mixes don't become the stuff of legend very often either.
I think you are TOTALLY wrong with that assumption.

I think with the exception of basically those 3 super high profile beat makers you mentioned (DRE, Neptunes, Just Blaze) and some others most of the legendary hip hop is pretty damn lo-fi. You do NOT need much to make a hit rap record if you have a stellar beat and a good rap.

The stuff of legend to me is: Pharcyde, Pete Rock, 9th Wonder, Blockhead, El-P, Souls Of Mischief, Hieroglyphics, RZA w/ Wu-Tang, DRE, Blaze, et cetera. That is pure and simple great music without a lot of studio tweaking. Some of those projects have HUGE budgets and some had zero $ on the line.

DRE is a major perfectionist, Neptunes are all about technical work and ultra-equipment and Just Blaze has sky high budgets. That is a plus for them but they are major talent as well. They could make hits with an MPC1000 and a turntable...Do you disagree?

I think if you look at hip hop history, the stuff legend is usually made by a hungry beatsmith or MC in their bedroom.

I understand the importance of good mixes and masters but I think if you look around here people spend more time talking about technical **** than music because this is the GEARSLUTZ baby!

Don't let this place make you think any of this high priced gear is essential. Nothing is critical.....you think Grandmaster Flash had an SSL!?!?

Also, I think a lot of this super produced stuff coming out these days is NOT the stuff of legend. In ten years my Pharcyde records will still be cherished and those 50 Cent records will be forgotten even though they may "bang" or have outstanding "low end" or whatever phrase people use to describe a million dollar budget project.

The hungrier artists will always make the best art because they HAVE to. I often sit in my 10,000$ studio and miss the days of just messing around with a Roland sampler and turntables. I made some of my best stuff back than and it was simple to work through. I would never go back but I don't kid myself that any of this newer gear has opened up new doors for me. I still ain't making any real money with this ****. I am still just as talented as I ever was which is to say I am definately no Mozart.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

do yall think 9th is a millionaire?
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideawakE View Post
do yall think 9th is a millionaire?
Well he definitely doesn't spend any money on equipment (Fruity Loops costs like 50 bucks and doesn't exactly need a super hot computer to run it), so he probably has a lot of money.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

those records are all timeless classics

but on the average listeners ears they like the garbage track better if it's overproduced with good pro sounding sound over a really well written classic type track made on ****ty equipment
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

HATER'S

who got beats on jay'z albums ???

SAY!!! than we can discuss....

peace
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hating is such an over used word, if someone has an opinion about something and its negitive , someone is always hating, why? I personally think 9th wonder is ok at best, does that mean im hating or that i really just dont like it?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

whats the big deal. he has his thing. you either like it or you dont. hes not my fav , but the "the listening ' is a classic!!!!!btw, the full fruity is about 350$ i think, and its very capable. funny thing is i were just starting out, trying to make beats today, i would get fruity loops.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't understand

I hate fruity loops probabaly more so than anyone else but this is total ignorance lol. If it works for him who cares. The beats sound good to my ears. You sound like a hater
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
9th Wonder is the kind of producer who is his own brand....like Pete Rock. He isn't about sounding big or getting big. He does it for the love of it.

Yeah it would be just that, potential. Potential to have a great quality song, is not the same has having a great quality song.

Poor Mixes / Mastering = Ear Fatigue = Less listens = Lost Potential.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

as far as 9th is concerned, don't even mention what he uses to get his productions done. anyody complaining about his productions based on his use of FL is pathetic. as far as his drums go...that's hip hop, he's sampling drums off records, not using drum sample cd's. come on man, do your thing and let 9th do his.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search