The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Dr Dre Record His Drums To Tape ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Does Dr Dre Record His Drums To Tape ?

Does Dre record his drums on to analog tape to get that warm crispy sound?

Anyone noticed a lot of new guys in the game (eg. most of the unknown producers on Curtis) are starting to have similar sounding drums to Dre; could be they are sampling from Dre or using the same technique as Dre.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Moin schönen Mittag und willkommen zu GS.com!
Aight I can give you a easy instruction to get THAT DRE DRUMSOUND:

1. Start with a great sound. Sample ,layer ,sample ,layer ,record a real drumset ,sample and layer...

2. Use the right drums in the right context. (IMPORTANT!)

3. Now call someone like Jimmy Douglas.

4. Go to someone like Bernie Grundman for mastering.

It's not really the Tapesound you're hearing,it's great production + great mixing + great mastering.
Mainly great production.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
Moin schönen Mittag und willkommen zu GS.com!
Aight I can give you a easy instruction to get THAT DRE DRUMSOUND:

1. Start with a great sound. Sample ,layer ,sample ,layer ,record a real drumset ,sample and layer...

2. Use the right drums in the right context. (IMPORTANT!)

3. Now call someone like Jimmy Douglas.

4. Go to someone like Bernie Grundman for mastering.

It's not really the Tapesound you're hearing,it's great production + great mixing + great mastering.
Mainly great production.

yess sir

to kinda elaborate on what he is saying. Alot of people think that the major producers are using drum kits outa a mpc or a triton or reason. but when it boils down to it, most of the time they are using a real drum kit. not excluding synth drums or sampled drums which can always be thrown into a mix but these guys are having real drums played and they are picking the right drums for the beat which is more important than the dude above me stated,lol. and they have strait beast of producers to mix and master it. if you think dre sits in the studio by him self and makes all these beats you hear you have it confused. cause in a normal session there can be anywhere from 1 to 8 persons involved with a mix at atime, depending on the studio and the number of interns. for instance dre will create something creative and leave or move on to another project , leaving all of the producers to edit, mix and master his creativity. hedoes the same for his vocals. they hire good engineers to eq that platinum vocal sound
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

there was a time that i remember hearing he DID actually record onto tape to get the warmth thing goin on, but nowadays, i think the beat is made however the producer he signed decided to make it. I seriously doubt he's sittin there programming the hi hat
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
yess sir

to kinda elaborate on what he is saying. Alot of people think that the major producers are using drum kits outa a mpc or a triton or reason. but when it boils down to it, most of the time they are using a real drum kit. not excluding synth drums or sampled drums which can always be thrown into a mix but these guys are having real drums played and they are picking the right drums for the beat which is more important than the dude above me stated,lol. and they have strait beast of producers to mix and master it. if you think dre sits in the studio by him self and makes all these beats you hear you have it confused. cause in a normal session there can be anywhere from 1 to 8 persons involved with a mix at atime, depending on the studio and the number of interns. for instance dre will create something creative and leave or move on to another project , leaving all of the producers to edit, mix and master his creativity. hedoes the same for his vocals. they hire good engineers to eq that platinum vocal sound
I think you are exaggerating here. It doesn't take that many people to make a drum track. Not that I am saying anything can make Dr Dre drums, but all if you have access to some good drum sounds (eg Battery 3), decent plug-ins (Waves SSL, Vintage Warmer) and a good ear, I think most people can get pretty close.

The point I was trying make is that Dre's got that tape saturation in his drums, if you listen closely - I just wanted you guys to confirm this and I was not just hearing things.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Do you got a tape machine ?
I mean a real one ,a studer or something like this.
If not what is your reference?

You can't get Dre drums with a tape machine.
You can get Dre drums with Dre.
I think you don't understand what we´re trying to say:
It's mainly about production.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenscohen View Post
I think you are exaggerating here. It doesn't take that many people to make a drum track. Not that I am saying anything can make Dr Dre drums, but all if you have access to some good drum sounds (eg Battery 3), decent plug-ins (Waves SSL, Vintage Warmer) and a good ear, I think most people can get pretty close.

The point I was trying make is that Dre's got that tape saturation in his drums, if you listen closely - I just wanted you guys to confirm this and I was not just hearing things.

not a drum track but a entire project . the drums are a small section of this only requiring 1 tech in the studios i work in i was just refering to the entire creative process from start to finish
you can also watch major studio session on you tube if you dont believe me check out ryan leslie for example and the people it takes to create magic when he is producing for a major artist. lotaa people ambelling around those sony studios fondling that beautifull ssl. mmmmmmmm ssl.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
mmmmmmmm ssl.
One Project of mine is mixed on one right now at this moment.
And I can't be at the studio.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
One Project of mine is mixed on one right now at this moment.
And I can't be in the studio.
THAT SUCKS. there are so many little tricksand secrets about the ssl.
wycleft as i call him, figured out something with the cuircity. He quoted in a mag that he made some changes to customize his. switching transitors and what not maximizing his to the fullest........me....i just envy those who are blessed to have a ssl as apart of there project
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
wycleft as i call him, figured out something with the cuircity. He quoted in a mag that he made some changes to customize his. switching transitors and what not maximizing his to the fullest........
WAAHHHH I would never touch a SSL.
But sounds damn cool.

Next track will be mixed on a Neve V3 yay.
I feel like boasting today^^

Where are you from?
I read in another thread that you worked with a european artist and the project went gold! Congratulations!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
not a drum track but a entire project . the drums are a small section of this only requiring 1 tech in the studios i work in i was just refering to the entire creative process from start to finish
you can also watch major studio session on you tube if you dont believe me check out ryan leslie for example and the people it takes to create magic when he is producing for a major artist. lotaa people ambelling around those sony studios fondling that beautifull ssl. mmmmmmmm ssl.
Ryan does most of his trax in his apartment, entirely on his 001. Sometimes he'll get one one other guy to mix it, but thats it.

Those trax he did at sony couldve been done anywhere, except for the live drums. I'm guessing he went to sony simply cuz he was slated to release an album, and well, he COULD. Most of those guys in that studio are there to get you cofee, lunh, fruit plates, candy, etc. Have little to do with creativity

you have a 'tech' that works on drum trax?? Thats pretty snazzy
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

not his tracks

i said when he is produceing for a major artist. he does produce at sony and i am not taking about his video diary. but a actual sony session. look it up
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i said when he is produceing for a major artist. he does produce at sony and i am not taking about his video diary. but a actual sony session. look it up

cant find anything

i punched in ryan leslie sony session

nothing except for the video i referred to
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

i will find it for you .

brb
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
brb
YouTube - Ryan Leslie - Clip from Sony Studio Sessions.. wow i found it in two seconds
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
of course it is edited to prevent you from learning there techniques but you get the idea if i count right at the end there are about 5 people in that room mixing his **** wen he walks in
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Ryan leslie really isn't all that, about 95% of the instruments he uses are just Triton presets. The piano and drums might be real in one or two of his tracks, but the rest is just Triton presets - overwashed with the usual reverb and delays (Korg's trademark sound).

Not to go off the topic, but now I have mentioned workstations, has anyone noticed that most of Dre's recent work sounds like it was made using Colossus. I mean the guitars, pianos, bass, strings and even the drums sound like they were straight off Colossus.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

yea thats for HIS own project. Those dudes in the room weren't there to help creatively (exceptt the engineer and POSSIBLY an assistant). There weren't any techniques to hide!! what did he do?? he recorded an organ, a live drum fill, and put some synths on it.... the end.

Sorry dude i'm not bashing you or trying to make you look bad, but everytime i see people try to say so and so producer has these 'studio secrets' and all the best gear and a team of studio scientists to get their sound, i feel i have to say something. These producers , although they have access to the best of everything, make most of their trax the way anyone does. Thats why so many people are surprised when things come out like 'oh this beat was made on a single synth and an 001' or 'Scott Storch uses two faders on his ssl to moniter his protools' (just like me!)

Its the PERSON's MIND and SOUL that makes the trax. No gear, No secret, and no assistant is gonna make your trax hot. My brother can tell a hot track being played at low volume out of laptop speakers. Its the IDEA of the beat that makes it what it is, and you dont need any gear to come up with an idea
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenscohen View Post
Ryan leslie really isn't all that, about 95% of the instruments he uses are just Triton presets. The piano and drums might be real in one or two of his tracks, but the rest is just Triton presets - overwashed with the usual reverb and delays (Korg's trademark sound).
[...]
has anyone noticed that most of Dre's recent work sounds like it was made using Colossus. [...] even the drums sound like they were straight off Colossus.
Aha.
Can we hear some of your beats pls?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

thanks mix it well

Quote:
Aha.
Can we hear some of your beats pls?
spoken by a wise man
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why does it matter? Dre does his thing, and you should do your thing.
Being redundant and derivative doesn't get you far.

I love Radiohead, but I could care less about how they captured their drum sounds. I do my own thing. I don't have the time, money or effort to go chasing down the way other people do things (Which they would likely do better if they had the time).
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

in response to those that want to hear my stuff:

Yeah sure, I'm gonna submit an instrumental album on itunes (via tunecore) soon, I'll post it as soon as its ready.

Heres my setup:

Mac Pro Quad, Logic 7 (hopefully Logic 8 by the end of this month), Colossus, EWQL Gold, Battery 3, Apogee Ensemble, Triton Extreme, Kurzweil PC2 + bunch of other stuff and vsts. edited: (oh yeah how could I leave this out, Reason 3 - its got that tape emulation effect (scream) on it with gives a cheap Dre sound)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

You don't got a single beat to show us and you're judging ppl like Ryan Leslie ,Dre ,9th...you can't be serious. You don't got a myspace site ?
And then you come up with this:

"oh yeah how could I leave this out, Reason 3 - its got that tape emulation effect (scream) on it with gives a cheap Dre sound"
You gotta be joking man.

I mean ,I don't know you ,your stuff might be cool and I wish you great success with your instrumental LP.
Hope it will be cool ,I'll give it a listen for sure.

But you're reducing Dre to a tape machine and Ryan Leslie to a keyboard.
And as I know how hard it is to come up ,to invest endless time to develop a own style ,to find the tools that work FOR YOU ,to get in touch with labels and so on ,getting ripped of all that.
And you come in and say 9th sounds like **** (you haven't exactly wrote it that way but content-wise it#s the same) ,dre's kicks sound like he took them straight from a VSTi ,Ryan Leslie is not as great as we might think because he uses presents...that's just not right.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dre is not using tape anymore. Pro Tools at 88.2 and the SSL 9000.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

mix it well

you just have to realize that cats dont care. music to them is cool because all there friends do it or cause they are chasing a dream that will never happen for them. when it comes to music either you are creative or not the rest are engineers. either you have a ear or you dont you can fine tune a talent but you cant give some one one. IMO when it comes to production. for some one like you ,who has invested hard work, thought, man hours into music i understand you completely but this cat will never get it cause he dont have it. any confident musician, even at a sucky level woulda posted a myspace link. so thats your proof. his claims are that of talk and talk is cheap. like the idea of a tape machine giing dre his "sound" hahahahahah sorry but it is what it is and mix it well is right so since this has become a thread of the wise frustrated by the ignorant i willnow leave it. peace to all and to all a good day chaps
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
I mean ,I don't know you ,your stuff might be cool and I wish you great success with your instrumental LP.
Hope it will be cool ,I'll give it a listen for sure.
Thanks man, I'll also set up a myspace page to promote it since everyone has one, don't know whether I'll do a soundclick page though.

oh yeah, I was kind of half-joking about the Reason thing. I don't know if you have used Reason before, but you can hook up the Redrum to a Scream distortion module, and set that to a tape setting, and it gives the drums a sort of tape-saturation like mid 80s NWA Dre drums (nothing like the stuff he does now)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post

I love Radiohead, but I could care less about how they captured their drum sounds. I do my own thing. I don't have the time, money or effort to go chasing down the way other people do things (Which they would likely do better if they had the time).

Now if at least half of the GS population thought like this, imagine how much more we could learn during our time spent on here.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Being redandant and derivative are not the same thing at all... Everything great was derived from something that came before it.

Music is an evolution, not a crapshoot.
Old 9th September 2007

Quote:
wycleft as i call him, figured out something with the cuircity. He quoted in a mag that he made some changes to customize his. switching transitors and what not maximizing his to the fullest........me....i just envy those who are blessed to have a ssl as apart of there project
The console he owns contains no transistors in the audio path... You're probably thinking of integrated circuits (ic's)...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The console he owns contains no transistors in the audio path... You're probably thinking of integrated circuits (ic's)...
yeah i remember something about that. i know nothing about anything ove 2000 so you would know more than me all i know is he figured something out and you can tell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search