The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Internship Question Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Internship Question

Whats poppin people? I got a quick question....

Im currently in school for audio engineering and Im about to graduate next June (hopefully) My recording and mixing skills are decent, but they do need to sharpen up. My barber once told me to start looking for internships a year prior to graduation. I took the advice and I've been thinking of where I want to start. The first studio I wanted to intern for was Circle House Studios...They are based out in North Miami....I tried looking for them on the internet (Google, Myspace, etc.) and I've got no info whatsoever. The second place I was considering was The Hit Factory out on Miami Beach. But I heard from other people that they be dealing wit a lot of politics over there. The third place I was intrested in was Patchwerk Studios out in Atlanta. I havent emailed them yet....

What do you guys think I should do? Especially if I cant find no contact info on these studios...

Do think Im making the right move by starting out in Miami?

Ya'll be helpful now....EaZY
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

lol....Circle House? even some of the best engineers in the world might not get to work there.

but keep looking. There might be a few good spots left. even if it means looking in other cities. But you can always buy your own gear and work with local artist just to keep your skills in learning mode unitl you locate a good spot.

and beware...at some places interns get treated like ****. Which I never understood why. Maybe its just hateful people in gerenal.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
lol....Circle House? even some of the best engineers in the world might not get to work there.

but keep looking. There might be a few good spots left. even if it means looking in other cities. But you can always buy your own gear and work with local artist just to keep your skills in learning mode unitl you locate a good spot.

and beware...at some places interns get treated like ****. Which I never understood why. Maybe its just hateful people in gerenal.
Yea man, Thats what im trying to do...Im already working wit a ****load of local artists but I feel that I gotta get an internship that could get my career started in the right place....After a while, u get tired of recording tha same ol artists...Especially here in Tampa...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunDLeZ View Post
Yea man, Thats what im trying to do...Im already working wit a ****load of local artists but I feel that I gotta get an internship that could get my career started in the right place....After a while, u get tired of recording tha same ol artists...Especially here in Tampa...
Depending on the direction you want to go in with your career, working with locals can be the best deal period.

If you can produce songs, you should put together your own lil crew and produce for that crew and see if you can start earning some credits from the work you do that actually makes it out there on radio, or into the hands of the right ppl.

Internship is a good way to go, but its also one of the slowest ways to go in my opinion. I myself never bothered with internship, but then again, I am my areas best local artist, so on the side of rapping, I would hit up each studio I recorded at and learn what I could about engineering, without actually applying to be an intern.

Surpisingly, while I might not know every single lil technical detail there is to know about engineering and mixing, I now got my own studio going and Im giving those same local studios that I use to record at a run for their money. Im also gonna be opening a bigger commercial studio late this year, hopefully everything goes great with that. I find it to be a real blessing and a great opportunity to be doing something like that.

Basically what I am saying is that if you got a love for more than one aspect of the music bizz, dive into as much things as you can, because you never know which one might take you that much closer to doing big things.
I believe in this approach because its working out well for me, and might work out well for you if you just keep working at it, and be confident in what you do. Dont ever make anybody make it seem like you are lesser than them, even when applying for internships...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

co-sign thee above.

too many people worry about "DOING IT BIG" they forget about how much income can be generated from local artists. They are more ready available then any major artist will every be to you at this point....or at any point in the near future.

And you'd be very surprise at how much most engineers are making on a yearly basis. Very surprised! Even some of the ones with gold, platinum, grammy awards under their belt.

But i wish you luck...there are some good folks out there that will help you. You just have to dig through all the "I'm THE MAN, YOUR JUST AN INTERN" attitudes to find them.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Depending on the direction you want to go in with your career,
What career? Dude is still in school. Get an internship at the studios that need interns, if you have a choice, the most successful one of course. Be humble, show up on time, do as they ask quickly and efficiently. And most important.....SSSHHHHHH...

The big leagues takes years to achieve. Local bands are fine, but if your just starting out, aim higher. Do both, intern and local bands..

The key for you at this point is to log studio hours.

No need doing too much contemplations at this stage. Just get in a studio.

Sorry bro, your not even at the starting line....yet. thumbsup
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
What career? Dude is still in school. Get an internship at the studios that need interns, if you have a choice, the most successful one of course. Be humble, show up on time, do as they ask quickly and efficiently. And most important.....SSSHHHHHH...

The big leagues takes years to achieve. Local bands are fine, but if your just starting out, aim higher. Do both, intern and local bands..

Werd, Thats how I feel....Good looks for tha input...
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post

Smart ppl start planning for their careers before they even reach the starting line. Maybe it didnt work that way for you, but not everybody is gonna approach the situation the same way you did.

You are right, it does take years to move up into the big leagues, which is why its very important to plan out your route properly to make sure you dont waste any time. If you have no real studio experience at this point, then you will want to intern right away and get into one and learn.

Internship is great, if studio engineering is the only thing you want to get involved with at this point. I personally would never count on internship alone to do anything for me as far as advancing my career is concerned, unless you are able to intern at the top studio in your region. Its still key to get some experience running your own lil home setup at the same time and record those local artists, especially if you have hopes of owning your very own studio some day.

Im not a fortune teller, so I cant predict what could happen for you if you choose to go one way or another. The important fact is to just plan out your approach, and dont just sit around waiting on anything or anyone to put you anywhere. At the end of the day, your worth will be dependant on what you can offer to other ppl. The more you are able to do, the more ppl will be interested in wanting to work with you, dont concentrate all your efforts into one basket this early on in your career.....and yes start thinking of it as it being your career that you are dealing with here, because it is, the wrong or right moves will effect you later on down the line.
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunDLeZ View Post

you gotta start somewhere man, i live down here and let me tell you, your talking two of the most popular studios in miami, and the odds of getting in them studios is like 1 and a couple million.
sometimes the best bet is to work with local artists beacause A. you can generate some sort of revenue to cover your expenses and B. if your the **** like you think you are you can take anyone and make a hit!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search