The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2000XL/GURU/Battery 3 Drum Pad Controllers
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

2000XL/GURU/Battery 3

I have been thinking about using my 2000XL as a controller for softsamplers rather than importing the sounds as wavs into the mpc, then tracking out to the DAW . (i.e. tweaking and loading the sounds in Guru or battery and using the pads on my XL to trigger those sounds as a VST in Cubase).
For those of you who do this, do you record the sequences/song onto the XL as midi first, and then play and 'record' that sequence/song onto the DAW? Or do you just record a sequence as you are playing it and loop it then sequence it in the DAW?
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

well you would either setup your MPC as the master, or the computer. Since i think the MPC sequencer is far better than any other, I would just use it as the clock, and then record everything into the DAW.

But really, unless you are going to be using the MPC as your master for timing, I would just get a trigger finger or mpd
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

I guess I am thinking of doing it like this:
Use the XL as the controller for the pads, timing and sequencing and stuff, but the drums/samples will be loaded into software and elicted from the DAW through VST's via midi.
I am wondering if people who do it this way record sequences/loops in the mpc as midi first then run it through the daw, or if they do the sequencing within the daw.
Sorry for asking such a noob question yall!
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

well, it would work like this:

the MPC acts as the timing master, but you will want to record the actual MIDI notes in the software, not the MPC, as long as you always use the MPC as the timing master.
Old 7th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by trioptic View Post

the MPC acts as the timing master, but you will want to record the actual MIDI notes in the software, not the MPC, as long as you always use the MPC as the timing master.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

ya...want he said.

It would work, but why would you want to do it that way. "only use the MPC as a controller"

when I started playing with Sampletank(in protools) I use the ASR-10 as a midi controller and recorded the midi sequence(notes) inside of protools. Everything worked great.

But if I wanted to, I could have recorded the midi sequence into the ASR(or other unit) and had it playback(midi out) into Sampletank.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

do it! connect mpc with daw via midi, sync them via mtc just that they start at the same positions (no timecode follows project) and sequence drums with the mpc.

i open up a midi-track in nuendo with midi out -> battery 3 and midi in -> mpc midi

then just go into record mode on the midi track (red button) to let the track get the midi-data from mpc and start playing.

you have to tell battery cells ones via midi-learn which pad will be responsible for which cell. save it all as a reference project and start making music.
Old 8th September 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trioptic View Post

I think you should record the midi in the MPC to keep the mpc´s timing, no?
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

you can, if the MPC is the timing master, you could also record the midi to the DAW, as long as the DAW quantization is off. Plus, its much easier to edit than the MPC's step editor.

Once all the notes are correct, you would mix that track down to audio, that way you wouldnt need to keep the mpc as master if you didn't want to.

I would still prefer to record all MIDI into software, instead of the mpc. MPC is great at timing, and having pads. That's about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search