The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
compressor settings Single-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

compressor settings

ive been looking at buying a compressor latley but just realised my preamp has one inbuilt (it has a lot of stuff i just decided to read the manual today)

anyway i was wondering what are some nice settings for compressors (vocals) as i have no idea wat will do wat. I have threshhold ratio attack release and level options. hope that is enough info
Old 7th September 2007
What is the Pre-amp you are asking about?

A little more info might help us to help you
peace
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

for vocals i would go with a fast attack and a fast or medium release. for bass or percusive sounds i would back the attack off so as not to loose your punch. since hip hop vocals can be really percusive they might benefit from backing the attack up too. experiment! that is half of the joy of recording!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

its an roland mmp-2 preamp

does fast attack mean a higher number as opposed to a low number for slow release?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

well the attack knob usually works like this- all the way to the left is fastest attack and all the way to the right is the slowest. a fast attack setting might be .02 ms and a longer attack might be 20 ms. (miliseconds) you should be able to hear a difference between the two. the best way to experiment would be lay down a dry vocal then go back and run it through the compressor and adjust the attack and release while the track plays- you will hear what it does.
Old 7th September 2007
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search