The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I know this is a tired subject but: workstation vs software/samples? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

I know this is a tired subject but: workstation vs software/samples?

First off, I know this must be a tired topic, I did do a search but didnt find anything that answered my questions,

Yeah like the topic said, we all know what type of sounds motifs and tritons have, but what is the better sample libraries/software out there that are simlar to these types of workstations?

I personally feel those 30gb string dvd's are way to big and also sound TOO realistic, and while realistic is great I want to be able to have that slick, polished sound sometimes that I've yet not stumbled upon. I guess what I'm looking for is those bread and butter types of sounds that you would expect from a workstation. Preferably as a VSTi.

Any suggestions about this?

Thanks alot.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Are you asking for suggestions on a workstation or vst
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Good question, I guess I wasnt clear enough in my first post. English isnt my first language so I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself clearly.

Im basically looking for software or sample libraries (I got a mpc4000) that sounds more like workstations like the ones I mentioned. What I'm not looking for is huge sample libraries that goes all the way out to sound super realistic but sounds thats useable in pop/r&b/hiphop.

Even more specifically, stuff like r&b strings, guitars, etc. Basically sounds that mimics real instruments but is more suited for pop/r&b/hiphop productions. I dont need stuff like analogue synth sounding stuff, like moog basses or pads etc, I got that covered. Oh Im also not looking for ready made loops, thats often found on sample cd's, I need to be able to be creative myself and not loop someone elses work.

Thanks for your reply btw.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It's still confusing

I kno what your trying to decide on is weither to get a workstation or VST so let me help you

VSTs need a computer program and a midi controller to record insturments/sound so you can make a beat

Workstations have the ability to help you make a beat but you need a computer program to track it out in

now this is even easier do you want to use hardware or software
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah thanks for your reply. Im fully aware of all of what you said though. I already use my MPC4000 in conjunction with Nuendo and several softsynths.

To be clear: Im NOT looking to buy a workstation or any other hardware. Im looking for either softsynths or sample cd's I suppose.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

ok,

There are alot of free synths on the net, but as far as sounds, I suggest

Hypersonic 2, Sample Tank, Spectrasonics Trilogy Total Bass Module Software, Reason 3 or Reason 4 when it comes out, Miroslav Philharmonik, Vienna Instruments Symphonic Cube,

those are some good ones, everything up their I plan to get besides Hypersonic cause I already got and Sample Tank because I dont need it
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

i think i can give a little perspective here......

i own cakewalk dimension pro, and it's a decent VSTi rompler. it has sounds similar to what you're looking for.

however for a couple hundred extra, i just picked up a korg micro-x and i'm feeling the sounds on it a little more. you might look into that board or the X-50 (same sound engine). both come with a VST editor that plugs right into your DAW so you can recall patches easily for your songs.

plus, the micro-x makes a cool little controller - and can be used without the computer if you feel so inclined.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

i own cakewalk dimension pro, and it's a decent VSTi rompler. it has sounds similar to what you're looking for.

however for a couple hundred extra, i just picked up a korg micro-x and i'm feeling the sounds on it a little more. you might look into that board or the X-50 (same sound engine). both come with a VST editor that plugs right into your DAW so you can recall patches easily for your songs.

plus, the micro-x makes a cool little controller - and can be used without the computer if you feel so inclined.
he doesn't want a hardware
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Powell. View Post
he doesn't want a hardware
thanks, but i passed reading for comprehension. looks like you didn't......i mentioned a vsti as the first thing in my post.

he said _preferably_ a vsti. the micro-x/x50 i feel give the best of both worlds.

now **** off.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

plus 1 on the dimension pro.

its llike a romplayer so its orcchestral samples dont sound real or polished as u said.
and it has all around samples not just orchstral. for hiphop its a very good vst,
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronut View Post
Good question, I guess I wasnt clear enough in my first post. English isnt my first language so I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself clearly.

Im basically looking for software or sample libraries (I got a mpc4000) that sounds more like workstations like the ones I mentioned. What I'm not looking for is huge sample libraries that goes all the way out to sound super realistic but sounds thats useable in pop/r&b/hiphop.

Even more specifically, stuff like r&b strings, guitars, etc. Basically sounds that mimics real instruments but is more suited for pop/r&b/hiphop productions. I dont need stuff like analogue synth sounding stuff, like moog basses or pads etc, I got that covered. Oh Im also not looking for ready made loops, thats often found on sample cd's, I need to be able to be creative myself and not loop someone elses work.

Thanks for your reply btw.
Get a rack version of triton/motif, or get a roland JV 1080. You will get all those sounds, and you will be able to tweak 'em anyway you want to. Just hook it u to your MPC with a MIDI cable
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

It's going to be hard to find anything at all geared towards "pop/r&b/hiphop" that isn't mostly synth. The reason is because a violin, or cello, or guitar sound just like they should - like violins, cellos and guitars.

That being said, I would suggest you look into a VST library called Colossus. Another one, with more ethnic instruments is called Quantum Leap RA.

There are lots of others out there, like Synful Orchestra (synths, but sound good for padding and etc.) and Garriton Personal Orchestra (actual samples). Even more out there dedicated to just winds, strings, etc. but the ones I've mentioned so far should keep you more than busy, and they all have a great selection of sounds to choose from.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

there are a lot of good options out there for you. First 3 soft synths that come to mind are Sonic Synth, Reason and Hypersonic. All of which can output the quality that these machines do. Vst has caught up to modern hardware and at this point its really all about preference. software is the future but hardware is where my heart is at. I use both for that reason and I plan to add more hardware to my setup.
Old 7th September 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Powell. View Post
ok,

Spectrasonics Trilogy Total Bass Module Software, Reason 3 or Reason 4 when it comes out, Miroslav Philharmonik, Vienna Instruments Symphonic Cube,

it
Exactly what he DIDN`T want.

I think Nexus with the Dance Orchestra expansion is OK. reFX - VST/AU Instruments - Software Synthesizers and Effects
Check out the demo song.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for all your replies, I will check into some of your suggestions. If anyone has any more tips please post them!

And AON is quite correct, I dont want that super realistic sound like the Miroslav stuff etc but thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

.......one to check out as well is the Halion 1 VST, which comes with (and only works with) cubase 4. haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but it uses the same sounds as in the motif. so it might be exactly what you're looking for.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Do you mean Steinbergs Halion? Isnt that just a sample player? Are you saying the sample library it comes with is the same as in one of the motif models? If so then yes, that sounds very interesting. It would surprise me though, even if Yamaha owns Steinberg.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronut View Post
Do you mean Steinbergs Halion? Isnt that just a sample player? Are you saying the sample library it comes with is the same as in one of the motif models? If so then yes, that sounds very interesting. It would surprise me though, even if Yamaha owns Steinberg.
"halion one" is different from "halion"

VST :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Quote:
With HALion One Steinberg adds powerful sample playback synthesis to Cubase Studio 4. Based on Steinberg's award-winning HALion 3 architecture, HALion One is optimised for use with SoundFrame™. It comes with more than 350 brand-new ready-to-play sounds devised from MOTIF waveforms covering acoustic and electronic instruments, as well as synth timbres and drums. This extremely versatile sound set is optimised for lightning-fast preset switching and low memory consumption.

HALion One plays one single VST3 preset at a time and provides one pair of stereo audio outputs. Sound and effect parameters can be tweaked using eight convenient Quick Controls. Edits can be saved as user presets. SoundFrame™ manages all of HALion One's presets, user presets and track presets. So finding the right sound is equally convenient and fast.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Aha.. interesting! I wonder if that will be in Nuendo 4 aswell?? I really hope so... Anyway, thanks for the info cynic!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'd echo the comments about Colossus... I really dig that. The pianos, EPs and ethnic percussion are fantastic.

Personally I think the strings suck big time but it's still worth checking out IMO.
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

ya, the strings arent the best... but the Guitar patches in Colossus are probably the best I've heard out of any library.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Go with a Neko or a Meko. Make sure you have the Mimik software. And mimik every hardware piece you can get your hands on. Therefore you would have the best of both worlds!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Go with a Neko or a Meko. Make sure you have the Mimik software. And mimik every hardware piece you can get your hands on. Therefore you would have the best of both worlds!
I think I'll buy a Miko soon.
Looks pretty good , I like the concept.
I think the Neko is a lil too xpensive for what it is
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
he was software
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

don't take me wrong.. but...

Quote:
Hey Ace, don't take me wrong.. but..., I can only read this thinking about your endorsement. Don't get mad yet! Really dude, I don't mean to but an ass.
I think miko /neko things are overpriced and FOR SURE are NO SOUND MIRACLES !
Even the poor demos on the site are SAD ! Actually maybe you should get a little extra pay to get those demos done right, WHAT A CRAPPY JOB !!!!

At least they are smart to get hiphop names under their endorsement thing, they know how to pick people, even you though, who is not widely known, you know your stuff, and you are a smart guy..
I respect you dude, and as I said on your endorsement thread I am happy for you, but to suggest a neko/miko for a guy who is looking for a VST sampler is a little ... I don't know ... too much?
Peace
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Am I the only person who finds the meko/neko boards to be overpriced and overhyped. Just buy a laptop its the same thing. Its just an overpriced midi controller/computer combo.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

not the ecxatly the same thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
Am I the only person who finds the meko/neko boards to be overpriced and overhyped. Just buy a laptop its the same thing. Its just an overpriced midi controller/computer combo.
not the ecxatly the same thing....but close. Overpriced ? of course !
I admit the layout and the mimik software seem cool.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hahahahahaha it's all good man. But seriously, with or without the deal, I would have one. Like I've said before its all about preference. I'm not saying that it's the best thing since cooked food, but I do believe it gives us producers "options" to step out side of the norm.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

if you want to follow the current "pseudo-retro" trend, I would go with the Korg M1, included in the Digital Edition of Korg Legacy Collection.

been raving about it last year. first sound in the module found on Nelly Furtado's "All good things".
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

I thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with Hypersonic 2 and possibly Dimension Pro. No Neko for me thanks, I already have a computer

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search