The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking to get some tracks mixed professionally
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Looking to get some tracks mixed professionally

I feel my mixes are pretty damn good for a non pro or at least good enough but every once in a while I just wonder what someone else's ears would do with my stuff. I always like hearing another persons take on tracks so I thought it would be interesting to get something mixed by a pro and try to get details as to what was done so I can take that and compare to what I did.

I'm already going to have some stuff done at 8121 here in DC but I'm wondering if theres any online spots or someone here that would be up to the task at a reasonable price (or free if your less of a pro and more of a person that just loves music and is bored lol Id return the favor)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

holla at t.dizzle.
He's on this board.
Old 5th September 2007

What are you offering for compensation?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm interested... fill me in as well...
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyntime View Post
I feel my mixes are pretty damn good for a non pro or at least good enough but every once in a while I just wonder what someone else's ears would do with my stuff. I always like hearing another persons take on tracks so I thought it would be interesting to get something mixed by a pro and try to get details as to what was done so I can take that and compare to what I did.

I'm already going to have some stuff done at 8121 here in DC but I'm wondering if theres any online spots or someone here that would be up to the task at a reasonable price (or free if your less of a pro and more of a person that just loves music and is bored lol Id return the favor)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyntime View Post

man...go to the best studio in your area that deals with you type of music. pay them the money. experience is the best teacher. online stuff is fun....but you learn much better live and in person. hands down!

you'll get nothing out of your music if you put nothing into it. $$$$
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
man...go to the best studio in your area that deals with you type of music. pay them the money. experience is the best teacher. online stuff is fun....but you learn much better live and in person. hands down!

you'll get nothing out of your music if you put nothing into it. $$$$
Hands on for some ppl is sometimes the best way to go when learning .

I doubt that there is gonna be anyone here that would be willing to do mixing for you for free, or without having a price negotiated beforehand. I would have to agree with the ideal of finding a place down by where you live that mixes hip hop, and wouldn't mind taking the time to explain to you the process of what they are doing...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Sounds to me that he wants a $0-$500 range?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I like this board a lot but it seems like a lot of times theres a bunch of replies to threads with questions and comments that were addressed in the original posts...

As I said in my first post, I'm already going to a pro studio to work on some tracks and get a few tips here and there.

As I said in the original posts and then quoted and highlighted in red Im not expecting anything for free (unless its a kid in his moms basement thats bored and wants to play around with someone else's stuff)

I have gotten a bunch of PM's and am getting good responses, I just want to make sure misinformation doesn't derail my original reason for posting.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

na...the problem seems to be people creating so many useless threads and then end up not liked the replies they get.

you already solved your problem within your own original post. Now all you have to do is keep going to studios to learn more. Or PM some folks that you think might be interested
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I don't really think I had a "problem" to be solved??

I wanted to see who on this site is interested in doing some mixing work with a brief overview of what was done in exchange for money. I cant just randomly go PMing people.

I appreciate all of the replies I have received but after 2 or 3 comments referencing that I'm going to have to pay for such work I'm left thinking to my self "no ****, thats why I put "for a reasonable price" in the original post"

Then after seeing a couple comments saying that the best way to learn is to "go to the best studio in your area that deals with you type of music. pay them the money." Again I'm puzzled as to why I would receive that kind of reply when again in the first post I stated that I was already planning on going to a studio and of course paying them money.

Perhaps I got too complex with my first post. Maybe I should've just kept my reasoning to myself and just said "I need someone to mix my ****. Who's down?" and left it at that. I'm new to posting on the board so I guess its a feeling the board out thing.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page. I want to give someone some United States currency in exchange for one of my songs to be mixed with a couple notes on what was done to the tracks so I can compare against my own mixes IN ADDITION TO going to a studio to sit in with an engineer to watch. Some may just pick a way to learn stuff and only take that one route.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

heres 2 songs (beats made by me, with my mix) I might like to have mixed by someone else.

greenline - the realness.mp3 - 6.08MB

greenline - nothing else matters.mp3 - 4.84MB
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Overall i think the vocals are to low compared to the music and it seems that
you panned your lyrics out to the left n right without any middle channel thus
the vocals almost dissapers if you listen in Mono or on a boombox.

At least on this one

greenline - the realness.mp3 - 6.08MB
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for checking them out!

Yeah "The Realness" vocals sounded a bit too loud to me when I did my normal leveling took them down a lil bit, perhaps too much. I'll def go back and check that out.

Even though its pretty much fundamentally wrong... Lately I have been tracking vocals backwards from the norm because I just like the way it sounds. I do 2 different takes and pan each one hard left and right and leave ad libs and stacks in the middle. I've never listened to any of my tracks through a mono source so I never thought to take that into consideration however I do have a ****ty walmart boombox with which I use to listen to finished stuff with to see how it sounds on crap systems and everything sounds pretty good to me (as good as it probably can on a piece of crap boombox lol)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
ately I have been tracking vocals backwards from the norm because I just like the way it sounds. I do 2 different takes and pan each one hard left and right and leave ad libs and stacks in the middle
The affect of that is that your track will sound crap on TV , Radio etc.
There´s a reason why Vocals almost allways are in the middle.Doing it your way leaves a gap in the center field and
it dont sound good.It didn´t sound that exiting in stereo either cause the adlibs n stacks sound much louder than the actual vocals.
But it´s a easy fix , do one more track and leave that in the middle.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

i have a nice soundsheme in my head related to your music...if you are interested PM me here, i don't want to PM cause i think your inbox is full and you maybe will oversee my message, hehe. (yes, i can do it for a reasonable price right now!)

i really dig how your music rolls!

bye ches
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

First and second cut

I am one who took on justyntime's song: The Realness
  • I made a 1st cut version of the song, located here. This is the 2nd cut.
  • I can't hardly get back up with him, so maybe this will work.
  • I'm not completely done with this song, in my mind, I have to take out about 170Hz on a sample-loop in the verse.
  • It's not very loud, but it might be limited slightly, for a radioesqe-type nostalgia experience.

In my mind, I redone a lot of the arrangment. I also tracked and added a electric guitar that you might catch. I think it puts some realness in it.

Okay, that's it.
Attached Files

rearrangedTheRealness.mp3 (3.37 MB, 102 views)

Old 24th September 2007
Gear Addict

Name one engineer out of 8121 whose mixes you like...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search