The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
graduation? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
its not easy lacing synths on these old soul samples!
Don't give Kanye the credit for that because I am a sure he has a HUGE team working with him.

I know he has a couple musicians.

And several people digging samples for him.

It is crazy how beats are made these days.

That being said I just gave the album a third listen and I think "Falshing Lights" and "Everything I Am" are the best not hype, not hos and drinkin', tracks.

Those 2 have some soul.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
i'll give it a couple more spins before i decide if it's hot or not.
Man, some of my favorite records weren't all that special at first...

This ain't McDonald's people!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

i know what you'r saying but for the last 20 years (even though i'm open minded) very few albums or singles grew on me.
haven't heard it on my system yet, so the engineering might blow me away and change my opinion
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I think "Falshing Lights" and "Everything I Am" are the best not hype, not hos and drinkin', tracks.

Those 2 have some soul.

i agree man flashing light and everthing i am also homecoming and good life are the best to me. i also like the concept of stronger.
Old 5th September 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linndrum9000 View Post
Loving this album. Cant wait till the 11th. Im really liking Kanyes new sound with all the synths. I know its a cheezy question but does anyone know what kind of synths were used on this album and who played the synths? Im just wondering how he went about incorporating all the synth into his music.
Fellow Gearslut Mike Dean played a Juno 106 on "Stronger". Do a search on the board... he posted about it a few days ago. He also wrote that they used soft synths.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

EDIT: For those not wanting to read my long-winded post, to summarize I will be buying two copies on Tuesday.

On first listen I was concerned, mostly due to him talking too much about fukkin clothes and **** (of course there are exceptions, like "Everything I Am"), but also due to the beats being so different (not John Brion dark or Dropout soulful). I think Kanye is the best rapper around these days, so I was hoping for more lyrical depth. (Argue all you'd like. I stand behind my opinion about him being the best.) While it's true this album doesn't focus on lyrical depth, I'll be god damned if he doesn't rap about money and clothes better than everyone else. On second listen my concern was gone, but I wasn't sure it would hold up as well as the first two albums. On third listen I was starting to really like it. By the fourth listen I was in love. This album is fukkin serious and will definitely hold up over time. I am at peace with the lyrics, because I see this album as kind of a celebration - just like graduation is with school. If this was Ye's only album ever, I'd say the lyrics could have been a bit less superficial. But it's not his only album. It's his celebration album and in that context the shallow **** works fine with everything else. As far as the music is concerned, I got over that by the second listen. It's not what I was expecting, but I can still spot good **** quick whether I'm expecting it or not. I can't stress enough how much I like this album and how important Kanye is to rap and hip-hop sans bull**** like soundscan and money. 5/5 from me.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
i know what you'r saying but for the last 20 years (even though i'm open minded) very few albums or singles grew on me.
haven't heard it on my system yet, so the engineering might blow me away and change my opinion
I was agreeing with your approach of listening for awhile before making a judgement.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AON View Post
Fellow Gearslut Mike Dean played a Juno 106 on "Stronger". Do a search on the board... he posted about it a few days ago. He also wrote that they used soft synths.

Thanks, Mike Dean is a beast!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
HUH this is out yet?!
The leak is out the official release is Sept. 11. It is very worth the purchase I suggest everyone buys this first thing Tuesday morning
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I think it's pretty mediocre, bar 3 songs - stronger, can't tell me nothing, and barry bonds. I still think he can't rap very well.

Wish he would stop going on about louis vuitton and versace,etc , too

Just not impressed.
i dunno i really like every song except for barry bonds and even tho song is ok. there aren't very many singles I will give you that. my favorite song by far is Champion then the song with T Pain and Drunken Hot Girls is hilarious
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i mainly think the beat is cool in that barry bonds, kanye's rapping never really sets my ass on fire, it's just not for me

while you guys are listening to this stuff, i'll be waiting for the saigon **** to drop... now that's the **** that i can really feel: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KgRdiDZ7nAw

that's the real ****.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i i'll be waiting for the saigon **** to drop...
I feel you. I have been waiting for that for a long time. Just Blaze is doing the whole thing too...I think. Could be a classic.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i mainly think the beat is cool in that barry bonds, kanye's rapping never really sets my ass on fire, it's just not for me

while you guys are listening to this stuff, i'll be waiting for the saigon **** to drop... now that's the **** that i can really feel: YouTube - Saigon - C'mon Baby (Feat. Swizz Beatz) (Exclusive)

that's the real ****.
Saigon is a beast
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

This album is pretty good at times...

but Chams Ultimate Victory is soooooo dope.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile255 View Post
i hate the fact tha its just 13 songs on kayne though and i know he was recording alot of tracks.
To me, it's not about putting as many tracks on a CD as possible (at least it didn't used to be); it's about putting your strongest stuff on there and making a cohesive album. I'm glad when an artist doesn't go over 12 tracks or so. Of course there are a few exceptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
like i said before, the album has continuity that the majority of new releases don't. If feels like an album and not just a couple singles slapped together with filler.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
Man, some of my favorite records weren't all that special at first...

This ain't McDonald's people!
Love this! Agreed again.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
To me, it's not about putting as many tracks on a CD as possible (at least it didn't used to be); it's about putting your strongest stuff on there and making a cohesive album. I'm glad when an artist doesn't go over 12 tracks or so. Of course there are a few exceptions...

i agree but i think kayne couldve and has the ability to make great songs that couldve been added to this album. i really do like it though.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
i dunno i really like every song except for barry bonds and even tho song is ok. there aren't very many singles I will give you that. my favorite song by far is Champion then the song with T Pain and Drunken Hot Girls is hilarious
champion is that joint!

i love when the synth comes in during parts of the verse, those 3 notes, higher-mid then lower...its crazy how certain sounds just grab you.

ILL TRACK.!!

"lauryn hill said her heart was in zion, i wish her heart still was in rhyming..."
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWsounds View Post
Am i the only one really digging 'Flashing Lights'?? That might be my fall jam...
thats my favorite song on the whole ****.Dwele is dope check out his albums.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Rolling Stone cover photo shoot Vid:

Def Sounds — Kanye & 50 RollingStone Cover Shoot
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWsounds View Post
Am i the only one really digging 'Flashing Lights'?? That might be my fall jam...
Yeah my favourite too along with 'Barry Bonds.'
In fact I think Flashing Lights is one of the best things off all of Kanye's albums.
Yeah and Dwele is amazing, everyone should check his records and his work with Slum, Dilla etc
What I love about Kanye's production is the way that the majority of his beats seem to build up to a crescendo as opposed to the majority of hip hop beats where the end of the beat is pretty much the same as the start (not that theres anything wrong with that if the beat is strong). Barry Bonds is a case in point the way it starts it gets you noddin then just builds and builds in ferocity until Lil Wayne comes in. Then the outro has some big dark string parts that add interest. Brilliant
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

It sucks

only because he is a arrogant cocky prick..
i seen him on a talk show that they put on tv and he was taking credit for the rebirth of hip hop stating and i quate" if there is another human alive right now, they are number two and below me, i am number one. I saved hiphop it wouldnt be anywhere with out me" so for that Kanye i will not buy your album cause just because some of the beats are nice we obviously know that you are a doush. and i refuse to support huge pricks. naw. he aint save hiphop. and he sucks. maybe that car shoulda hit his alittle harder
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
i seen him on a talk show that they put on tv and he was taking credit for the rebirth of hip hop stating and i quate" if there is another human alive right now, they are number two and below me, i am number one. I saved hiphop it wouldnt be anywhere with out me" so for that Kanye i will not buy your album cause just because some of the beats are nice we obviously know that you are a doush. and i refuse to support huge pricks. naw. he aint save hiphop. and he sucks. maybe that car shoulda hit his alittle harder
Well I've been following and buying hip hop since buying Yo Bum Rush the Show in '87 when I was 16. When College Dropout came along I had kind of fallen out of love with hip hop, hadn't bought much in a year, but that album got me excited again.
I'm not saying Kanye saved hip hop but I can't see anyone denying he gave it a new lease of life.
Yeah he can be arrogant, so what, but he seems to be respected by the majority of people within the hip hop industry from the backpackers to the mainstream, because I reckon they all see he's genuinely talented.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

I really like this album pretty much all the way through. I must admit I skip "Druken hot girls" most of the time. The stand outs for me are "Barry Bonds" and "Flashing Lights" I think those two tracks say something. Barry Bonds is my fav on the album.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Maniac

Barry Bonds???? How can anybody even tolerate to listen to that song??
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

"Flashing Lights" is definitely my favorite on the record. I don't understand the "Barry Bonds" hype at all, though. That's one of my most frequently-skipped tracks. All-in-all, definitely a solid and creative CD, to me.
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Dope album...2-3 skippers...Flashing Lights is beast...Champion..Everything I am..Big Brother...all real dope too..

Another album I really dig is Talib's Ear Drum its my fav commercial 2007 release so far then Kayne's then Common's Finding Forever...Looking forward to Saigon's album...should be dope...
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post

come on dickhead, thats his persona. he's nothin like that in the studio!!! it image man.. over the top...look at the sales man, you can't hate on ye.
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
come on dickhead, thats his persona. he's nothin like that in the studio!!! it image man.. over the top...look at the sales man, you can't hate on ye.
take a look at the video with kanye and timbaland working on tweaking the 'stronger' drums and you can get a hint of what hes like off the mic/camera

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search