The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i want the dirt on presonus firebox Audio Interfaces
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i want the dirt on presonus firebox

anyone who has one or who knows something about it please let me know all of the bad things so i can make a smart buy
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
I have one..it has no inserts so you can not put a compressor in line. It does have 2 line ins, so I bought another Pre and ran that in. The convertors are ok I guess..not great not terrible. The pres are actually pretty clean. I actually really like the firebox for the price.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

I have used them a lot. The biggest problem is the firewire ports have a tendancy to die. Also, the firewire plug allows you to plug in the cable upside down which can (and will) kill the firewire port on your computer or soundcard. If you are in an environment where you will be connecting and disconnecting the card a lot, I would avoid this one.
As far as the sound quality and functionality, it works fine, sounds pretty good for the money and the software mixer gives you a lot of options for routing. Also, I don't like that when my software clips, I hear an audible clicking sound out of the speakers (on a Mac). On the whole, in a non-mobile environment, for the price, it's okay.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

quick question then

Maybe mine is defective cause i have my mic plugged into the mic 1 input and i can turn that fader all the way down in the mixer software the interfae comes with and i still get a signal.....hot as hell i am running a at4040 into a chameleon labs into a dbx comp and i have to turn my mic input on my labs all the way down to like -50db and then turn the out put way down almost off to avoid gainstaging. the output on the dbx is by passed to i know its not it there. i just want to bypass the pres on the firebox with out using a 1/4'th input. so i tryed to turn down the fader in the presonus mixer and it did not effect the signal at all. i have tryed this with the mixer out bypassed as well as the software fade turned down. am i just not routing it right or applying something right. or does it sound like my box is not working right cause the only big thing i have to say about the quality is that it kinda drys out some forms of speach or hip hop but not too bad i mean , its not a motu or rme. but hey.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search