The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
one of this mic pre,.... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut
one of this mic pre,....

hello mens..
for 1k i can choose this pre:

great river me-1nv
chandler limited germanium
a used manley mono pre
api 512c + lunchbox

my mic is an audiotechnica 4040, i know is not an u87 but .. :(
my ad/da converters are rme, i have a fireface800

i need the most aggressive sound possible to mix with logic, for my stile of rap
i have made some search but finally...i have founded this pre, i can spend +- 1k dollars....someone have some ideas??

thanks!!!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I say 512 with the lunchbox...leaves you open to make it a 2 channel later or get another pre with different flavor
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i have the same question

maybe we can help each other.
My chain is a at4040 into a chameleon labs7026 into a dbx compressor"mainly used to stop the signal from hitting peak. iuse little little compression on the front end. then that goes into a firebox interface firewire into my cpu.
lately i have been noticing the signal is gain staging or sounding over dry. now i have gotten good mixes outa the set up but ultimatly i feel that the pre is too powerful for the mic. if you have a great rivers you have a awsome pre and the pre might be too powerful for the mic. the signal almost sounds distorted but the levels are great so i am asuming the aspect that is preventing carity is that the mic just cant reproduce the sound we look for. even though i do not accept my demise from a 300 mic i am convinced something can be done to produce a awsome sound
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
but ultimatly i feel that the pre is too powerful for the mic. if you have a great rivers you have a awsome pre and the pre might be too powerful for the mic.
that is an absurd notion at best. experiment with mic placement or the mic may just not be right for the source.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
that is an absurd notion at best. experiment with mic placement or the mic may just not be right for the source.

+1
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfist View Post
hello mens..
for 1k i can choose this pre:

great river me-1nv
chandler limited germanium
a used manley mono pre
api 512c + lunchbox

my mic is an audiotechnica 4040, i know is not an u87 but .. :(
my ad/da converters are rme, i have a fireface800

i need the most aggressive sound possible to mix with logic, for my stile of rap
i have made some search but finally...i have founded this pre, i can spend +- 1k dollars....someone have some ideas??

thanks!!!
hey man. nice selection in pres.
The API is great but very mid rangey in my opinion. It doesn't have the bass i look for in R&B and Hip Hop. JUST MY OPINION THOUGH.

The Chandler Germanium is great. The Great River is cool.
If i were given a choice i'd probably get the Manley.

If you want AGGRESSIVE i'd get the chandler. The chandler has a reputation for being aggressive. all good preamps. if you can go through vintage king or sonic circus. maybe they can let you try a few before you buy?

There's a pair of auditronics mic pres online. They're a well kept secret in mic pres. they don't sell for more than a grand. Usually $750-850. They give APIs a run for their money. Subjective but a lot of people i run into feel this way.

Pair Auditronics 110B Mic Preamp/Equalizer Racked API - (eBay item 190148951361 end time Sep-10-07 09:52:49 PDT)
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

dont sleep on

other 500 series pres ( avedis, old school audio,purple, shadow hills, great river,a-designs, buzz audio, averill 312a)
brent averill 1272 single
brent averill 312a racked

if you want an "aggressive" sound i think an aggressive compressor is going to do more for your sound than the pre. however a good pre is super important too.

good cheaper aggressive comps:
dbx 160xt
valley people dynamite

more expensive
dbx 160vu

electric
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
i feel that the pre is too powerful for the mic. if you have a great rivers you have a awsome pre and the pre might be too powerful for the mic. the signal almost sounds distorted but the levels are great so i am asuming the aspect that is preventing carity is that the mic just cant reproduce the sound we look for.
The fanstastic thing about a really good mike preamp, like the Great River, is that it can really show you how great a simple, cheap microphone can be. If you're used to using crappy preamps built into your crappy mixer, the Great River can suddenly turn a Shure SM57 into a new microphone that does amazing things you may not have thought possible.

If you're getting distortion, you should look for the source of the distortion and correct it. There are lots of possibilities. One possibility is the microphone, and another is whatever the preamp is feeding. Yet another possibility is that the preamp itself is distorting, perhaps because you have the gain knob turned up too high and the output level pot turned down too low. Just like a "master volume" Fender amp, it sounds like ass.

Of course, there are some truly horrible-sounding microphones out there. The AKG C1000 and C3000, and perhaps broken microphones may not sound any good no matter what you plug them into.
Old 7th September 2007

This is literally the worst time to buy something with AES only a few short weeks away.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the choices you have listed. If I had to pick one, it would definitely be API. Classic, aggressive, punchy mid-forward sound.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut
thanks a lot for everybody answer me.
sorry for my english but usually i speak italian

yet i think to elevate to another level the sound of my mpc, and then think for the voice, because the 90% of my time i produce with the akai.
i know really good my 4k but i hear that i need some external "help" to improve the sound quality....but here i can't hear nothing because there aren't music shop in order.... damn :(

for the voice i'am thinking to go with the api 512c

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search