The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
article on rick rubin you guys might like Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

article on rick rubin you guys might like

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/ma...ne&oref=slogin
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

"Rubin, who resembles a medium-size bear with a long, gray beard"

hahahaha this had me dying.

Dope article, thanks.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for posting this, good read
Old 3rd September 2007

I just had an artist that I produce/write for get turned down from Columbia after Rick listened to it.....I honestly didn't care, I was just thrilled to know that Rick Rubin listened to my songs......would have been nice though.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
here's a permalink in case anyone comes late to the article and it is unavailable on the Times site

Rick Rubin The Music Man
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Rick's the pulse
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Damn good read, thanks for posting the link!

thumbsup
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Rick

He's always being inspirative person.
always...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

good read. I wish him all the best.
trying to convince the industry of the "flat rate" model won't be easy.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Rick is going to be very frustrated by the Sony "infastructure" the only way to truely reubild a company that large is to literally "NUKE" it... and start totally over.

Some people belive everthing he craps is golden, while he has a great ear, I have heard some "misses", no one bats 1000! (i'll be first to admit that)

Dude has done amazing things, I wish him the best of luck. Hopfully he can tame the Sony "beast"
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like the devices he's talking about. If someone made that and it worked as planned it'd be the ****.

...Totally possible with today's technology too.
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Dope Article. Thanks a million

Tracker
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've always said the bigger the beard, the wiser the man. I almost cried blood after I had shaved off my big viking beard... Now I'm not smarter than anyone else
Old 4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

great read
i really like him
i don't really own any records that
are his
i have some ll cool j
i can't stand the beastie boys
i thought the cash records would have been beautiful
with a touch of plate reverb.....
i'm not sure that mr. rubin has created
even one timeless record, like he speaks
about. i agree with the logic 100%.

that being said. he seems to really love music.
the label people i meet in nyc are generally extremely stupid -
they don't really like music

be well

- jack
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
great read
i really like him
i don't really own any records that
are his
i have some ll cool j
i can't stand the beastie boys
i thought the cash records would have been beautiful
with a touch of plate reverb.....
i'm not sure that mr. rubin has created
even one timeless record, like he speaks
about. i agree with the logic 100%.

that being said. he seems to really love music.
the label people i meet in nyc are generally extremely stupid -
they don't really like music

be well

- jack
Sometimes I wonder why the hell I login to this place....

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is timeless. Those songs have been on the radio every single day since that album came out 16 years ago. Reign In Blood is timeless. Every HEAVY metal band has used that album as the Rosetta Stone for creating scary music for the last 21 years - whether they realize it or not. Electric and it's stripped down production (fvck the plate reverb!) will keep The Cult alive for many years to come. Maybe you don't like the Beasties, but License To Ill is another record that has been on the air since the day it came out.

The absence of the fx on Rubin's productions is a huge part of the "timeless" equation.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Rick is an enigma due to his talent and timing and a lot of luck.With exception of the Beasty Boyz,his career was built mostly with acts that were already established and indi promo money was king.For instance,the Red Hot Chili Peppers had broken on capitol with a cover tune of Stevie Wonder's("Higher Ground")from the record"mothers milk"after 10 years of touring small clubs.When the "Blood suger sex magic" record was delivered to Warner Bros... and "give it away" was picked as the first single,it bombed badly and didn't meet Warner's expectations.The R.H.C.P.'s were a very expensive act to sign coming of Capitol and The Warner chairmen(mo and micheal austin amoung others...) issued a company mandate to Kenny Povolgal(head of promotions at [email protected] time) to drop EVERYTHING they were promoting at that moment and focus soley on breaking "blood sugar sex magic"to radio.That kind of attention at a company that large was unheard of and included billboards/paid ads at radio/lubricating program directors at radio to ad the record to the playlists so on.The point is...THERE ARE SO MANY MOVING PARTS TO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MUSIC... NEVER SEEN BY MOST PEOPLE... THAT MAKE FOR A HIT RECORD.IF sony has enough money to burn believing Rick Rubin is the answer or the insurance policy I wish them luck.Rick is a good delegator.He gets overpaid to meet with an artist for 2 hrs and"here's where the chorus should come in/or...that riff...yeah...just repeat that.""Where's my Soy shake".The idea that a producer like Rick can command huge fee's,collect points before an artist recupes the cost making the record is silly enough.The artist in the end pays against what they might earn on an album to have his name and there is still no garentee the promo department will even hear it.I also love how Rick talks about writing a song"for the ages"as if he knows."Beverly hills" by Weezer is a testament to that rubish.The band "TROUBLE"which rick produced has the most insane loudest guitars Iv'e ever heard on an album and yet there are NO SONGS.So all this talk about whats a great song by R.R. is absolute rubbish.With all respect to Rick,He is a tastemaker.I think he has had incredeble luck and found a way to capitalize on what he loves to do.Now he has the "glow".It's an illusion.

Last edited by carlheinz; 4th September 2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Just because
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
Sometimes I wonder why the hell I login to this place....

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is timeless. Those songs have been on the radio every single day since that album came out 16 years ago. Reign In Blood is timeless. Every HEAVY metal band has used that album as the Rosetta Stone for creating scary music for the last 21 years - whether they realize it or not. Electric and it's stripped down production (fvck the plate reverb!) will keep The Cult alive for many years to come. Maybe you don't like the Beasties, but License To Ill is another record that has been on the air since the day it came out.

The absence of the fx on Rubin's productions is a huge part of the "timeless" equation.
i disagree. blood sugar sex magik - in my opinion is a highly marketed piece of product - anthony kiedis can not sing
- studio trickery creates that sound.
in its own way the band and the record are fraudulent and run in direct contrast
to what mr. rubin says in the article
grace by jeff buckley is timeless - he was the most important american singer since marvin gaye - he
could sing his record better on stage than it was on the record depending on the night
- i don't listen to metal - i can't comment - the cash
records need reverb . in my opinion they sound unnaturally dry -
don't get me wrong. i think rick rubin is cool. i think he has great ideas. i think he
loves music. i think he could change columbia in a really positive way. the irony
of course is that jeff buckley was on columbia and i don't think they fully understood
who he was or how special he was. had rick rubin been there 12 years ago,
he might have been able to hear that.....

be well

- jack
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
studio trickery creates that sound.
I just don't understand the mentality of thinking anything is "Studio Trickery".

Recordings are supposed to sound good right? That's the idea? Who cares how that is achieved...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
I just don't understand the mentality of thinking anything is "Studio Trickery".

Recordings are supposed to sound good right? That's the idea? Who cares how that is achieved...
I agree, why not use EVERY advantage you can take... (within ethical reasons of course, don't go mili vanili on me!)

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is a GREAT album, honestly I have never seen the chili peppers live, and its not high on my "to do" list... Still doesn't take away from the "Greatness" of that alubm.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I agree, why not use EVERY advantage you can take... (within ethical reasons of course, don't go mili vanili on me!)
I hate to admit it, but I bang that Milli Vanilli on the reg - serious.
Old 4th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post

Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
grace by jeff buckley is timeless - he was the most important american singer since marvin gaye - he
could sing his record better on stage than it was on the record depending on the night
ummm... that was Andy Wallce, not Rick Rubin. tutt
and my man! Steve Berkowitz Exec Producer..
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

my point was that there are shaky cornerstones in
the myth that is rick rubin - he is not owen bradley

studio trickery is why there is so little music that matters
in the past twenty years - it is the very reason the article
was written and rick rubin was hired - the irony is that def jam
and rap music as a medium killed the great legacy that was african-
american music for the past two hundred years - it made clothing
more important than woodshedding, practicing, playing or really being
a great musician - this generation of african-americans dropped the
ball - rap - mtv and midi created a world that has not produced an aretha
franklin or an etta james or a ketty lester or a marvin gaye or a leon ware
or a stevie wonder - god forbid a donny hathaway or a nina simone
- or a duke ellington -

it did not create a generation of kids interested in playing music

i have a feeling i have not heard the best that rap had to offer and
i still believe rap's best days may lie ahead

as a caucasian man, perhaps it is not politically correct for me to say, but
our african-american brothers were for most of the last century the best
musicians the world has ever seen.....
to me, it is tragic that something so amazing is gone
put on james brown's "love power peace - live in paris 1972" listen to the
jb's - no one plays like that now. an amazing benchmark to hold up
to anyone anywhere anytime in terms of musicianship - people working hard to play
great. important also in that it is live - no studio trickery- no one plays like that now. why ? maybe prince. no one else.
why? why did that ambition go away ?

people
are starving for that - no one needs studio trickery - studio trickery i believe
is hip if you are john lennon or paul mccartney or jeff buckley or rufus wainwright
or little jimmy scott or marvin gaye -
if you are extending and playing with a god given gift.....

if there is simply nothing there, you are involved with fraud :

i still believe 99% of the most amazing recordings are just recordings - documents
of someone opening themselves up

it is interesting that mr. rubin has found himself around so many differnt kinds
of music and i do believe he really likes music. i do think he will help columbia
i think it is wise that they leave that building. i think they should fire almost
everyone - firstly all of the scary psychophantic attorneys at grubman-indursky
who pretend to be interested in music and have participated in creating a non-expansive fear
culture - while being the music industry's most consumptive parasite......

i hope i did not offend anyone
that is not my wish
i love music
i love to love music
more than anything
else

be well

- jack
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
my point was that there are shaky cornerstones in
the myth that is rick rubin - he is not owen bradley
Dude -
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great article. Rick Rubin is a hero and roll model to me.

And Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a GREAT album. those were the days long before easy pitch correction, so he had to be singing at least well enough to comp a great performance out of. But the missed point lost on Jack is the songs. great songs on so many Chili Peppers albums over the years. Songs that wouldn't ever have been written had Rick Rubin not put them on a new course.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

the equation Rick Rubin equals "studio trickery" is false at best. The guy admits he's not a technical guy, he doesn't tweak eq's or set up the Autotune. He does however coax a great performance out of artists and guides the music to completion. He is definitely a influence on myself and alot of other producers in multiple genres. I hope his position at Columbia can change the industry even if in a small way. Best of luck to him.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
The band "TROUBLE"which rick produced has the most insane loudest guitars Iv'e ever heard on an album and yet there are NO SONGS.
I love that record beeyatch. SHE'S GONE TO LIVE IN....chuh chuh dah dah dee dah duh dah duh dah jun jun chuh chuh chuh MEMORIES GARDEN whaa whaa. There are other big names on that record too, besides Rubin.

Stop hatin'.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Great article. Rick Rubin is a hero and roll model to me.

And Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a GREAT album. those were the days long before easy pitch correction, so he had to be singing at least well enough to comp a great performance out of. But the missed point lost on Jack is the songs. great songs on so many Chili Peppers albums over the years. Songs that wouldn't ever have been written had Rick Rubin not put them on a new course.
i have painted myself into an obtuse corner...
i have a great deal of respect for rick rubin
some of the chilli peppers songs are quite catchy
"songs" "timeless songs" - that is 100% lost on me.....
i don't hear those songs
i can't get with the word "timeless" - the word he
used frequently in that article - in relation to any
of his work

i do think he loves music
and i was very impressed over the years by the
variety of music he has spent significant
time with.
i have no doubt that he is completely
passionate about music.
that is appealing.
he is inspiring in that way.
he also seems like a very dynamic guy -
in 21st century terms, he is very young
his most amazing contributions may be
ahead of him.

be well

- jack
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I think Rick Rubin produced some great records!
But now that he is a Guru and all this Spiritual semi God of Music??MMMmmmhh I think is too much...seems that he want to be the Music Messiah!!

Please he talks so much about songs! how important songs are!! and I totally agree 100%
But at what cost? I listened carefully the last Shakira album ..even if I find her annoying and fake with her voice...but I thought could be inteesting...well I just found only 2 good to ok songs...the rest very bad songs under any point of view...even a cheesy song can have a melody and certain way that tells you is a good song even if you don't like that genre or style of music...but really the songs were so bad!! and also I found like 3-4 parts that basicly were parts of other popular songs...basicly if you are a producer you must know those parts are almost a copy of those artists!!so are you gonna do it? at how many times on a record?

I hope he can do something...sure will have more success now..because he is at the top of Sony, so he can have the best artists there and push the records he produce.

If I would call somebody a Music Guru will be Mutt Lange...I think all what he touches is Platinum , great records and so eclectic with the artists he worked!!

**also if Erick Rubin beleve he did something right in putting Rap into mainstream with a Pop Formula!!...well he ****ed the Afro-American Music culture!
Destroyed all the great music produced by guys likeTtupac to Kool & the Gang, Earth ,Wind and Fire to James Brown!!

He is just a hit single Maker with the spiritual Halo to don't be called a 'Cheesy . poppy Producer"..he lost his path long time ago...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search