The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
drop a gem on em ,...so powerfull Desktop Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut
drop a gem on em ,...so powerfull

hello.
i really really love the vocal in this track of mobb deep, but generally i love all the old job's of this duo....
someone know what gear is used for mobb deep's vocal? mic-pre-ecc.... ?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

honestly i think u'd be better off just analyzing the vocals with your ears, determining the jist of the eq/effect/compression settings, and trying to emulate it with whatever gear you got.

All these people asking about what mic pre a certain artist uses sound a bit strange to me. First that artist has their own SPECIFIC voice going thru a SPECIFIC type of mic (of which all sound different), going thru a SPECIFIC compressor (of which all sound different) with a SPECIFIC setting, eq with a SPECIFIC setting....

.....Then

It was MIXED on a SPECIFIC console or workstation with SPECIFIC eq's/compressors/fx/ by a SPECIFIC person who happened to mix it a SPECIFIC way that day....

so how exactly is knowing what mic pre so and so uses of ANY HELP to ANYBODY??

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
honestly i think u'd be better off just analyzing the vocals with your ears, determining the jist of the eq/effect/compression settings, and trying to emulate it with whatever gear you got.

All these people asking about what mic pre a certain artist uses sound a bit strange to me. First that artist has their own SPECIFIC voice going thru a SPECIFIC type of mic (of which all sound different), going thru a SPECIFIC compressor (of which all sound different) with a SPECIFIC setting, eq with a SPECIFIC setting....

.....Then

It was MIXED on a SPECIFIC console or workstation with SPECIFIC eq's/compressors/fx/ by a SPECIFIC person who happened to mix it a SPECIFIC way that day....

so how exactly is knowing what mic pre so and so uses of ANY HELP to ANYBODY??

Funny but true.....

So much variables are involved that its hard to duplicate a specific sound to an exact degree. What you can do, which I think is more practical, is try to use your ears to mix a particular vocal you have in the same fashion that you think the person who mixed the mobb deep track did it in.

I did this very successfully one time when I mixed one of my very own tracks to sound similar to how "Jay-Z - Show Me What You Got" sounded.
Everybody who heard that mix kept telling me to send that track over to the local radio station. Meh...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search