The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended VST Compressors Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Recommended VST Compressors

Hi Gear heads, I have never used a compressor before on my beats but I would like to start experimenting with compression of my kick drums and snares, and vocals and such. I have searched this site for software compressors for some comparabilites, and would still like to ask others opinions on what VST compressors they use, when making rap beats.
I have researched the Voxengo Crunchessor, Voxengo Elephant, The Sonalksis CQ1, and the Otium Compadre. Anybody care to share their opinions on these? Thanks! I appreciate anyone who bothers to take the time to read this.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

i havent tried any of the compressors your mentioned. :-)

but i have just bought the sonalksis sv-315mkII
sounds good, is low on cpu, like it.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

i use URS comps, UAD-1 comps and Sonalksis comps. Some Waves too.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Out of the ones you have mentioned, "Crunchessor" is by far my favorite(Elephant is a limiter btw). It's incredibly flexible despite its extremely simple interface. It offers several modes for its envelopes which I have all found very useful depending on the situation. It also comes with various "coloring" modes.
You can also sidechain another signal than the one on the insert to it(it depends on the routing capabilities of your sequencer but there are work-arounds for most of them).

It is also extremely cheap, like most Voxengo comps.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Uad1 1176LN, La2a, la3a

Waves Rvox
Old 2nd September 2007
jje
Gear Nut

If you're looking at Voxengo, don't forget the Marquis Compressor. And yes, Elephant is a limiter.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Anything that models a Universal audio or Fairchild compressor is pretty great-- look those up =P
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I appreciate it alot. I am thinking I'll probably try the Voxengo stuff out. For a beginner, which would you guys say would be best to start out with out of the Voxengo Crunchessor, and the Voxengo Marquis.
Old 2nd September 2007
jje
Gear Nut

The Marquis might be more familiar right away since it's laid out like most other comps (with the window on the side and the curved line showing you the compression visually, etc.).
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Between the Marquis and RenComp, which one would any of you guys find yourself using more?
Old 2nd September 2007
For a beginner....

The best comp would be Waves Ren Comp IMO as it's so easier to dial in and see the gain reduction. It has the expected basic controls and a few more to mess with when you get to know what you're doing. Good retro kinda sound also.

For drums in general I like the UAD 1176 (just bad ass, when you want to poke them out the mix) also the Sonalksis SV315 does a good job on kiks. 1176 also good on Rap Vox.

I like the LA3A on Bass

Those are my 4 go to right now. But I'm just getting into the Neve 88RS strip which I'm also finding can be nice on Vox as well.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

compressors

I only use the UAD compressors.....

BUt,

I also do like the BLUE TUBES BUNDLE!!!!
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

what software are you using, ie what are you hosting the VST compressor in? I would recommend starting out with the comp in that software (every sequencer/audio recording software I know is bundled with at least one or two). Reaper is a shareware program that is bundled with an interesting, straightforward compressor.

Come to think of it, you should definitely try out the digitalfishphones Blockfish and Dominion VSTs. They kick ass, especially on beats. They are free.

digitalfishphones.com - free audio vst plugins

I use those a lot.

b
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i havent tried any of the compressors your mentioned. :-)

but i have just bought the sonalksis sv-315mkII
sounds good, is low on cpu, like it.
+ 1 for Sonlaksis. I also like Waves SSL a lot.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Lately I been seeing myself reach for the SSL Comp most often.
Old 3rd September 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c View Post

BUt,

I also do like the BLUE TUBES BUNDLE!!!!
I also love Blue Tubes stuff so you're not alone here. I never understood why people here hate them so much, I like their flavor - one of the few plug groups that I can actually hear its flavor clearly.

But back on topic, I forgot to mention the Sonalksis MkII - man that's a good comp....WOW!
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

On kvraudio.com there is a compression fanatic named bmanic who really gets into his compression. His current favorites seem to be: Sonalksis sv-315mkII, Voxengo Marquis, and the new Fabfilter Pro-C compressor.

Fabfilter have a really nice demo policy. I think it's fully operable for 30 days.
Old 3rd September 2007
The Waves SSL compressor has been doing it for me...
I usually use it to smack compression on my vocals with a fast attack and quick release.

Then I go to Waves RComp
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brock View Post
what software are you using, ie what are you hosting the VST compressor in? I would recommend starting out with the comp in that software (every sequencer/audio recording software I know is bundled with at least one or two). Reaper is a shareware program that is bundled with an interesting, straightforward compressor.

Come to think of it, you should definitely try out the digitalfishphones Blockfish and Dominion VSTs. They kick ass, especially on beats. They are free.

I use those a lot.

b
One of the Best Free Plug-ins I've ever had, I like the Spitfish which is a desser, The Blockfish is pretty nice to
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c View Post

...me too.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use URS and Waves SSL, but UAD sounds great, too.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

+ 1 for Sonlaksisthumbsup
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brock View Post

I use those a lot.

b

yeah, damn right!

if you have never used a compressor before, just try to get to grips with them before you shell out some money.

Uad and stuff is very fine, but a lot of money if you can´t handle them properly anyway.
So use the digital fishphones stuff and the integrated comps from your software first...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Waves SSL, it works on just about everything
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

I am going to download the Blockfish and some of the other programs on that site. It makes total sense to get the free stuff and try it out first. From what I have been reading it is one of the better VST Compressors out there, and it's free so one could'nt go wrong there. I am running Sonar 6. I plan on compressing individual tracks after they are recorded.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

for the $$ you should try to cop a dbx 160xt and maybe a valley people dynamite. they do great things on drums and are cheaper than lots of the plugs. in hiphop you want an aggressive grabby sound. you would get really good use out of having just one or the other or one of each. plus playing with a real compressor you can start to tweak and hear how they actually work with your own ears....

dbx 160xt = $170 to $225 used
dynamite = $200 to $400 used

just a suggestion.

from my experience on what can be useful:

uad-1 stuff (33609,fairchild, 1176, neve-strip)

havent tried:
sonalksis
waves ssl
waves vintage comp
urs comps
chandler limited abbey road comp (not sure if its productized yet)
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Also check out the PSP Mixpack and Vintage warmer 2.
I like the Marquis compressor, also the Sonalksis.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

comps

I find myself using a few different comps on my hiphop rap mixing...

vocals i usually reach for the waves ssl or the uad 80's comp, sometimes the waves rcomp and the timeworks mastering compressor...

for 2 tracked beats(which seems more common in rap these days i usually use a waves c4, psp vintagewarmer, and sometimes even the basic steinberg multiband...

for kicks and snares i tend to stick with the urs compressors, sometimes the ssl...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolpete View Post
I find myself using a few different comps on my hiphop rap mixing...

vocals i usually reach for the waves ssl or the uad 80's comp, sometimes the waves rcomp and the timeworks mastering compressor...

for 2 tracked beats(which seems more common in rap these days i usually use a waves c4, psp vintagewarmer, and sometimes even the basic steinberg multiband...

for kicks and snares i tend to stick with the urs compressors, sometimes the ssl...
for vocals i love waves renvox. quick and easy and sounds great. my favorite of the waves comps.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octra View Post
I am going to download the Blockfish and some of the other programs on that site. It makes total sense to get the free stuff and try it out first. From what I have been reading it is one of the better VST Compressors out there, and it's free so one could'nt go wrong there. I am running Sonar 6. I plan on compressing individual tracks after they are recorded.
Hi. If you're using Sonar 6 Producer edition, you have the Vintage Channel (which is the Kjaerhus Golden Channel with different graphics). That thing is really fine, although it's a little oddly set up, in my opinion. I don't think it comes with the Studio edition.

The Sonitus fx that come with Sonar are also really good, I use them all the time for different stuff. The Compressor is fairly transparent and easy to use, and the Gate is one of the more fully featured VST gates I've come across. Gating is very useful for beats, in my experience. Sonar also has the Sonitus >Multiband< compressor, which divides the signal up into frequency bands and allows you to compress them individually (I believe the Waves C4 mentioned above is also multiband). Very useful for processing the kick and snare differently in a stereo mix, or for de-essing, or for eq-ing a track when you want to just limit a certain spiky frequency without dulling it in general.

b

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search