The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
filtered basslines? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

filtered basslines?

so i want to achieve the so-called "low end theory" technique to bring out the basslines in my samples. is this generally done with a low pass filter or a resonant filter? also what outboard equipment would you recommend for this?

also, i'd like to combine another sample for my bassline seperate from my main groove, instead of seperating the loop into two and filtering the copy to bring out the bottom.

i've been trying to do this technique on my asr and i've had fairly good results, just trying to perfect the technique. i've just been low passing the sample and then putting it through some distortion or other effects to synthesize higher harmonics.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

third
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

this always adds alittle to what you are doing

Run a low pass on your kick as well. cut it way back, depending on what kick you are using this will allow your kickick drum to share some of the same lower power freqs giving your bass a power rush at the trigger of the kick. depending on how far back you cut the low pass the power of the kick and bass wont be heard so much but will be felt geatly. just adjust to your liking. I think it gives the bass a little flavor. try it and see if you like it
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

If you DAW is Windows based, you might want to try this nifty freeware VST filter called "Rubber Filter":

It's possible to get some extremely drastic filter slopes with it, which could help you isolate the bass in your samples. It can be way steeper than the effect you are looking for(even though you can get not so steep slopes), but I thought you might find it useful nonetheless.

You can get it from there: http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christi...bberfilter.exe
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice guys, anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Isn't a super steep filter just a crossover?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not if it's not place between speaker components. They're essentially the same in what they do, but it's their application that is different.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The obvious is filtering and EQ'ing a copy of the sample . I also find compressing the filtered sample will help you boost the sample way up without distortion.

But, aside from that, have you thought about replaying the bassline yourself and layering it on the filtered down sample?I usually try to play the sample on a keyboard and put it with the sample as well as what what talked about above.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I dig the sherman filterbank on synth bass
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

ok check it

i was doing some experimenting last night and came up with something simple but effective. put a parametric eq on the bass line and turn down 7k 5k 3k 500hz down by 20 db then turn 250hz down say about 9db then boost 63hz by 4 or 5 db the adjust the track volume to fit it in. as long as your kick is not blasting in the same part of the spectrum as hard as the bass is, the result was beautiful....try it for yourself and see
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search