The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using a macbook pro and Logic Desktop Synthesizers
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone using a macbook pro and Logic

I just want to know what your experiences are like?
I'm running a G5 with 2.4 gigs and Dual 2ghz processors.

Would it be worth it for me to switch. I'd like to be a little more portable.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

not at all, i switched from a 2.16mbp to a g5 quad and its another level of power and expandability...need pthd cards? no problem now...uad cards? no problem...8 gigs of ram? no problem... and so on
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I disagree with the second post. I have a dual 1.8Ghz G5, and recently replaced my old powerbook with a 2.2ghz MBP. The Macbookpro slams my G5 in terms of performance.

I will admit the expandibility is limited. 4gigs of ram and the one Expresscard slot means you have to know what you want to do.
But since logic 7 doesn't allow you to access more than 4 gigs anyway, I've never been bothered with the ram issue.

anyway, I'm getting rid of my old G5. it just collects dust now.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

^^^^^man if you have the G5 already, use it as a Logic Node. It should have gigabit LAN and i know the Macbook Pro does as well. Pair that with a Apogee Symphony card and your golden.

Thats what i would do if i had a G5 here with my Macbook.

Peace,

Rob
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

I have the exact same setup as you nymortgagepro, except that I have 1.5Go ram on my G5... and... I already have a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz

And to answer your question: I'm going to put my G5 on eBay as soon as I finish my current projects... The only thing that bothered me is the lack of UB support for Trilogy and Atmosphere. Concerning performances of logic, I didn't do a direct A/B test but it seems that my MacBook is better.

Hope it helped
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-C View Post
I have the exact same setup as you nymortgagepro, except that I have 1.5Go ram on my G5... and... I already have a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz

And to answer your question: I'm going to put my G5 on eBay as soon as I finish my current projects... The only thing that bothered me is the lack of UB support for Trilogy and Atmosphere. Concerning performances of logic, I didn't do a direct A/B test but it seems that my MacBook is better.

Hope it helped
1.5ghz versus 2.2ghz, and it only seems that your macbook pro is better?

Did the more processing power the better philosphy change while I was sleeping or something? lol
Old 2nd November 2007
Here for the gear

Damn! Logic Node! It's the best thing i heard today! I didn't know a Mac could do that... Good info, guys
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

I use a macbook with logic pro. Your pretty limited with ram (2 gigs), so i only use it for production (I use mostly software synths and samplers). If your mixing in-the-box with high end plug-ins your gonna want a mac pro tower decked out. So if I were you i would evaluate what exactly your going to be doing and what type of additional software you are running when purchasing your next computer.
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

i use logic 8 on a 2.33ghz intel core 2 duo, its cool, but i'm still not sold on logic, i kinda miss my mpc 2500 with my motif xs. the hardware setup smokes software apps any day of the week, but i like the control and upgrades that are available with my logic setup. i copped a couple portable 7200 rpm firewire 800 drives from OWC (clear 2.5 drives, pretty sexythumbsup) for my battery programs, samples, loops, and native instrument banks. Paired with my rme fireface 400, it all comes together for a pretty dope completely portable setup!
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

new macbooks are updated with 4gb ram max and the same type of processors as the pros just a bit slower (2.2 vs 2.4)
Old 6th November 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro View Post
i use logic 8 on a 2.33ghz intel core 2 duo, its cool, but i'm still not sold on logic, i kinda miss my mpc 2500 with my motif xs. the hardware setup smokes software apps any day of the week, but i like the control and upgrades that are available with my logic setup. i copped a couple portable 7200 rpm firewire 800 drives from OWC (clear 2.5 drives, pretty sexythumbsup) for my battery programs, samples, loops, and native instrument banks. Paired with my rme fireface 400, it all comes together for a pretty dope completely portable setup!
Wow! Maestro, how about PT HD setup? I saw your studio pics on myspace. Are you totally replaced it with Logic+MBP+FF400?
Thanks
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Wow! Maestro, how about PT HD setup? I saw your studio pics on myspace. Are you totally replaced it with Logic+MBP+FF400?
Thanks
lol, the hd setup has gotten expanded with apogee converters and a little outboard, but i hardly use it! my artists get more work out of it than i do. Im now in the process of figuring out how to trigger my laptop logic setup via protools so i can track my beats into pthd thru my api pres for a little extra warmth. Honestly, i carry a macbookpro with me wherever i go so it gets far more use than my desktops do. Not really a replacement, but more of a somewhat redundant addition

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search