The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reflexion Filter mounting tips Channel Strip Plugins
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Reflexion Filter mounting tips

Most of us who own a Reflexion Filter have had to figure out a way to deal with the issue of keeping it balanced on a simple tripod mic stand. For me, it meant laying bricks on top of two of the three legs of the mic stand - which was pretty tacky and not practical in a mobile/on-location situation. A few days ago, while tearing down after a session, I stumbled upon a simple cure for the balancing issue. Check it out -

I just pivoted the mechanism in half (which is how you put it away anyway) and voila! It's very stable and looks way better too. No bricks required. Pop-filter mounting has also been a concern for some RF users, and as you can see I'm not having that issue anymore.

Just thought I'd share! Maybe I should post this in one of the other forums, too.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
Most of us who own a Reflexion Filter have had to figure out a way to deal with the issue of keeping it balanced on a simple tripod mic stand. For me, it meant laying bricks on top of two of the three legs of the mic stand - which was pretty tacky and not practical in a mobile/on-location situation. A few days ago, while tearing down after a session, I stumbled upon a simple cure for the balancing issue. Check it out -

I just pivoted the mechanism in half (which is how you put it away anyway) and voila! It's very stable and looks way better too. No bricks required. Pop-filter mounting has also been a concern for some RF users, and as you can see I'm not having that issue anymore.

Just thought I'd share! Maybe I should post this in one of the other forums, too.
Yo for the longest times I have been thinking of purchasing one of these reflexion filters to use along with my mobile rig for remote recordings.

How much, or how little trouble is there with traveling with one of these?

And how big of a difference have you been noticing from using it in each environment that you have had a chance to try it in?

I remember a past post with a long ass discussion on the Ethan Winer version and the SE version....................... did I forget to mention that it was one long ass thread lol.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Forget about using simple tripod with bricks, instead use a cymbal stand. The one I purchased from GC was forty nine dollars, and I don't need any bricks. Don't tell me you like bricks in your studio.

-Heezzi
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried out that mounting tip and it seems to be doing the job. I havent had any issues with the stand tipping over from the weight of the RF. Thanks for posting that up.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

yea, I was thinking about getting one too.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15YO View Post
yea, I was thinking about getting one too.
I did a quick test not too long ago to compare some recorded vocals done without the RF to some recorded vocals done using the RF.
So far the difference that it makes is a nice one. The RF vocals sounded like they had a bit more punch to them, even with both versions of the vocals properly level matched.
I performed this test with the mic setup as close to the computer as it could get, because I wanted to see how much of a band-aid it could be when recording in a less than desirable noisy environment.
Fan noise and all, the RF version was better than the non RF version. Using the filter allowed the RF version of the vocals to be considered as a passable recording to some extent.

Im gonna shoot out the RF some more later on today, but this time in the booth, where the environment is ideal, so I can see what kind of difference it will provide within a proper recording situation.

So far my overall impression is really good, and its definitely worth checking out, even if you dont end up sticking wit it, which in most cases you will, especially if you dont have proper acoustics set up in your studio.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I hope all of what I just said makes sense in the morning, cause Im more tired than a GS thread on autotune. lol
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post

genius cuzo!!!
thanks for that. now that u pointed it out ..it's like "why didnt i think of that".

the power of paradigms!

thanks again
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Can you post some audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I did a quick test not too long ago to compare some recorded vocals done without the RF to some recorded vocals done using the RF.
So far the difference that it makes is a nice one. The RF vocals sounded like they had a bit more punch to them, even with both versions of the vocals properly level matched.
I performed this test with the mic setup as close to the computer as it could get, because I wanted to see how much of a band-aid it could be when recording in a less than desirable noisy environment.
Fan noise and all, the RF version was better than the non RF version. Using the filter allowed the RF version of the vocals to be considered as a passable recording to some extent.

Im gonna shoot out the RF some more later on today, but this time in the booth, where the environment is ideal, so I can see what kind of difference it will provide within a proper recording situation.

So far my overall impression is really good, and its definitely worth checking out, even if you dont end up sticking wit it, which in most cases you will, especially if you dont have proper acoustics set up in your studio.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

genius!

i just mounted mine like this. good tip...now i don't have to worry about an earthquake taking mine out when i'm recording. my stand is really heavy duty but can only hold so much extended fully...

[edit]

the filter got the best of my mic stand today :(
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Forget about using simple tripod with bricks, instead use a cymbal stand. The one I purchased from GC was forty nine dollars, and I don't need any bricks. Don't tell me you like bricks in your studio.

-Heezzi
i took this advice too and got a real heavy duty cymbal stand after my mic stand gave out today. this **** is industrial.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Excellent tip!
for all of you who are thinking of getting one I highly suggest it
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
i took this advice too and got a real heavy duty cymbal stand after my mic stand gave out today. this **** is industrial.

thumbsup

When I originally saw the RF, Guitar Center had them attached to those stands. They are industrial indeed. Only time that thing ever fell let alone moved was when I was cleaning up and accidently yanked on the mic cord.

What's funny companies in general overcharge on mic stand having heavy duty ones run upwards to $200 when a $49 dollar cymbal stand does the exact same thing. Go Figure.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

What about sandbags combined with a camouflage net...
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Some alternate mounting ideas can be found in this Sound on Sound discussion:

Forum

Personally I use one straight stand to hold the filter, and another boom stand for the mic itself - makes switching mics very simple.

Steven.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveninkster View Post
Some alternate mounting ideas can be found in this Sound on Sound discussion
Damn, I didn't even know SOS had a forum...

But you can skip all the Tool Time **** by mounting it like in the pics above.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks dizzle. I have had continual probs mounting mine, I will try your suggestion later.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

We're just using 2 different mic stands, works just fine, i prefer it that way, if you have a space stand...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

So far the mounting tip from the pic is working really good for me, never had any problems with anything wanting to fall over, and the stand has been bumped on a couple occassions.
The way this mounting technique works seems to make the whole rig very stable... beats going out and having to buy a new stronger than usual stand just to use the RF. I'd probably snap if I had to bother with doing foolishness like that...
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

hey fellas, call me stupid but i dont get how you guys are mounting em like that.

i set mine up once and never touched it, so i dont know about folding it up to take it somewhere, im just tryin to get mine to look like the one in the pic and im havin a problem, the main part with the mic... can you guys see what im doing wrong?

Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantorbuzz View Post
hey fellas, call me stupid but i dont get how you guys are mounting em like that.

i set mine up once and never touched it, so i dont know about folding it up to take it somewhere, im just tryin to get mine to look like the one in the pic and im havin a problem, the main part with the mic... can you guys see what im doing wrong?

You have the part to the left in the wrong way. Losen the handle and turn it until it is completely straight and then put it back in.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seriously. Go do what hugh robjohn mentions - throw the whole mechanism away (or er, store it somewhere). Buy a straight up (not boom), cheap stand. The thread on the top of any standard mic stand will fit directly onto the bottom of the reflexion filter. Then use your decent stand for your mic. Done.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Seriously. Go do what hugh robjohn mentions - throw the whole mechanism away (or er, store it somewhere). Buy a straight up (not boom), cheap stand. The thread on the top of any standard mic stand will fit directly onto the bottom of the reflexion filter. Then use your decent stand for your mic. Done.
Yeah, I wanna spend $300 on a piece of gear just to throw half of it away, and then proceed to go waste more money on a dedicated stand when the alternative (what I showed you) is simple, very effective and is achieved in less than 5 seconds.

Seriously.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Man... why do you have to be such a prick when you post, dude? Not just in this post, but in general - you really do come across like an arrogant asshole. Not saying that to be offensive, just being honest.

Anyway - the whole shebang - mic + filter + terrible fixing is very heavy. Most/many people will probably have boom mic stands. The whole thing is not stable on a boom stand, it will sag big time. And if it doesn't it's all just so top heavy, it's asking for a big fall. So anyway, if you don't have a straight mic stand, you're going to have to buy a straight stand to use your method. Otherwise, it won't go high enough, especially since a couple of the artists i record are over 6ft 5 inches.

I paid £200 ($400) to get better results when recording vocals, not for a fixing. If it works better the way i mentioned - which for me and anyone with a boom mic stand - it will, then i'm not going to insist on using an inferior way of mounting the filter just because i spent the money on a filter that comes with a substandard mounting kit. Clearly the money goes into the filter, not in the terrible, terrible fixing apparatus.

People buy guitars and then can later replace the pickups because they get better results that way. This really isn't any different. You're replacing how the filter is mounted, for better results.

That aside, i was offering people an alternative to your method. Most people won't realise that the filter can be screwed directly into the top of a mic stand thread. No need to be a prick about it.

Peace.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man... why do you have to be such a prick when you post, dude? Not just in this post, but in general - you really do come across like an arrogant asshole. Not saying that to be offensive, just being honest.

Anyway - the whole shebang - mic + filter + terrible fixing is very heavy. Most/many people will probably have boom mic stands. The whole thing is not stable on a boom stand, it will sag big time. And if it doesn't it's all just so top heavy, it's asking for a big fall. So anyway, if you don't have a straight mic stand, you're going to have to buy a straight stand to use your method. Otherwise, it won't go high enough, especially since a couple of the artists i record are over 6ft 5 inches.

I paid £200 ($400) to get better results when recording vocals, not for a fixing. If it works better the way i mentioned - which for me and anyone with a boom mic stand - it will, then i'm not going to insist on using an inferior way of mounting the filter just because i spent the money on a filter that comes with a substandard mounting kit. Clearly the money goes into the filter, not in the terrible, terrible fixing apparatus.

People buy guitars and then can later replace the pickups because they get better results that way. This really isn't any different. You're replacing how the filter is mounted, for better results.

That aside, i was offering people an alternative to your method. Most people won't realise that the filter can be screwed directly into the top of a mic stand thread. No need to be a prick about it.

Peace.
Sounds interesting.....

Can you post a pic as a visual example as to how your whole mounting ideal is suppose to look? I got spare stand not being used right now so this ideal might be right up my alley.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sure man, i'll post a pic in a couple of days when i'm back at the studio
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man... why do you have to be such a prick when you post, dude? Not just in this post, but in general - you really do come across like an arrogant asshole. Not saying that to be offensive, just being honest
I don't think that you know me, so let's not get personal here...

Your post before this one insinuates that the method that I'm sharing is impractical when, in actuality, what you're suggesting is not nearly as practical. I never said that this was the only way, but come on man... Who really wants to spend more money and more time on making this thing work when the solution is this simple? You can buy a $15 straight stand from Radio Shack and save yourself a headache and a trip to the hardware store if all you have is a boom stand. I prefer to not use boom stands for vocals anyway. But really, I don't give a rat's ass how YOU do it. I was just sharing something that I stumbled upon.

Quote:

Obviously, you haven't tried the method that I've shown - hence the "inferior" comment (and you wanna call me arrogant???). How do you figure that you're getting "better results" - especially if you haven't tried anything else? Let's hear some of those hits you're recording bro!

My straight stand (the $15 Radio Shack stand) works just fine for tall people... I just recorded a 6'5" monster with absolutely no problem.

Quote:
People buy guitars and then can later replace the pickups because they get better results that way. This really isn't any different. You're replacing how the filter is mounted, for better results
That's gotta be one of the lamest analogies I've ever read. People replace guitar pickups to improve the SOUND of guitars. Reflexion Filter mounting techniques and what kind of stand you're using has absolutely nothing to do with sound. Gimme a break.

Quote:
Using one-liners like "Seriously." and words like "inferior" in contextual reference to my method means that you're actually trying to undermine me and somehow prove that what I'm suggesting isn't a good idea. Stop being a hater. Someone had already provided a link to the SOS forums where what you're talking about is posted.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Has anyone found a GREAT solution for dealing with the issue of trying to read lyrics off paper or out of a book while using the Reflexion Filter?

Its not really a problem when an artist has their lyrics pretty much memorized and they dont need to look a lyric sheet, but most like to have their lyrics in view as a reminder either way.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Has anyone found a GREAT solution for dealing with the issue of trying to read lyrics off paper or out of a book while using the Reflexion Filter?

Its not really a problem when an artist has their lyrics pretty much memorized and they dont need to look a lyric sheet, but most like to have their lyrics in view as a reminder either way.
That's always been my #1 issue with this thing. Holding the lyric sheet off to the side or above keeps the vox off-axis. Maybe clipping the paper to the inside panels? Haven't tried that yet.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

clipping the lyric sheet to the inside works great, i had a girl do that and it worked perfect..

now if i could just get my stand set up like yall, i still cant f%ckin get it man...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search