The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reflexion Filter mounting tips Channel Strip Plugins
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Use a cymbal stand
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantorbuzz View Post
clipping the lyric sheet to the inside works great, i had a girl do that and it worked perfect..

now if i could just get my stand set up like yall, i still cant f%ckin get it man...
You gotta really look at the pic T put up, and fold yours the same way. Once you get it right you will like it though. I bump mines about 5 times a day, and not once has it completely fallen over or have any of its legs leave the floor.

If you have an extra stand laying around, then you can mount the filter and the mic seperately.
Old 11th September 2007
cpu
Gear Addict

I've never knocked mine over, but i live in constant fear..... especially when my Kiwi is on it. I'm definitely gonna try out a cymbal stand. I just don't have enough room in my current room to set up the big Studio Boom stand i have.....a cymbal stand would leave a much smaller footprint...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mine's fallen over ....dented the reflexion filter... had to bend it back into shape. I've found myself stairing at the filter thinking "is it back to normal? is it shaped right?" made me go nuts for a week.

A heavy duty stand is the only answer...i think anyway.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 View Post
Mine's fallen over ....dented the reflexion filter... had to bend it back into shape. I've found myself stairing at the filter thinking "is it back to normal? is it shaped right?" made me go nuts for a week.

A heavy duty stand is the only answer...i think anyway.
Man, I don't know wth some of you guys are doing. I got this thing mounted on the biggest piece of crap flimsy tripod stand and it's solid as a rock.

So it's not "the only answer".
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

dont get me wrong, it stays upright, but the slightest knock COULD send it down...and one time it did. Bad luck i suppose.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 View Post
dont get me wrong, it stays upright, but the slightest knock COULD send it down...and one time it did. Bad luck i suppose.
Bad luck...? Tripod mic stands are prone to fall no matter what's mounted to them if you don't position the legs properly.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu View Post
I've never knocked mine over, but i live in constant fear..... especially when my Kiwi is on it. I'm definitely gonna try out a cymbal stand. I just don't have enough room in my current room to set up the big Studio Boom stand i have.....a cymbal stand would leave a much smaller footprint...
get a round based stand and a 25 pound everlast weight. the weight slides right down the pole.

it wont go anywhere. i now rock the t dizzle design but i still left the weight.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

cymbal stand bizness...this **** will not tip over. check out those legs. INDUSTRIAL.
Attached Thumbnails
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-cymbal-stand-2.jpg   Reflexion Filter mounting tips-cymbal-stand-3.jpg   Reflexion Filter mounting tips-cymbal-stand.jpg  
Old 12th September 2007
no ssl yet
I can't find a good pic on the net, but am I safe?

I use one of these (I'll take a pic of mine if anyone needs to see one set up. It's pretty sturdy)

SE Electronics GHML Boom Stand Large - ShopWiki
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I can't find a good pic on the net, but am I safe?

I use one of these (I'll take a pic of mine if anyone needs to see one set up. It's pretty sturdy)

SE Electronics GHML Boom Stand Large - ShopWiki
shiiiiit for $300 i hope so

the problem i had with my mic stand was that the top bar that extended out actually started bending from the weight of the SE filter. then the stand would start to tip over...
Old 12th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
shiiiiit for $300 i hope so

the problem i had with my mic stand was that the top bar that extended out actually started bending from the weight of the SE filter. then the stand would start to tip over...
$300 is cheap for the quality of stand it is. (I think I paid 2 bills though.)thumbsup

I bought it because their mic is heavy as HELL.

Once I hang the Sand bag on it and put the brakes on the wheels, it doesn't budge.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Has anyone found a GREAT solution for dealing with the issue of trying to read lyrics off paper or out of a book while using the Reflexion Filter?

Its not really a problem when an artist has their lyrics pretty much memorized and they dont need to look a lyric sheet, but most like to have their lyrics in view as a reminder either way.

Check out the Stedman PC1 Proclip Sheet Music Holder. Works great.

Stedman - PC-1 ProClip sheet music holder

I just bought one from Front End Audio but I am sure that a lot of places carry them or can order them.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
$300 is cheap for the quality of stand it is. (I think I paid 2 bills though.)thumbsup

I bought it because their mic is heavy as HELL.

Once I hang the Sand bag on it and put the brakes on the wheels, it doesn't budge.
$300 is cheap?...... for anything else besides a stand I would agree, but that stand better be working miracles and performing blessings for that price.
There are regular boom stands out there that are strong enough to take the weight of the RF without swaying or tipping. You just wont find that type of stand in something that cost 20 or 40 dollars. At the same time you dont have to go spend $300. Anywhere from 60-100 dollars should be fine.
My friend has a very good example of this at his studio...we tried mounting the RF onto one of the type of boom stands he has and there was no problems wat-so-ever. The legs might not have been as strudy as a Cymbal stands legs, but if you avoid being a clutz and bumping the thing over, you would be fine. There was no tipping or swaying of the stand at all with the RF rig attached to it.

Just go out and get yourself a better boom stand without breaking the bank.....

I think a more important prob is figuring out a good way of reading off a lyric sheet while using the Reflexion Filter. Lets spend time figuring that out and put the whole "what stand to use" non-sense to rest...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

we slip the lyrics above the reflexion filter, inbetween the metal and the filter/pads if you'd call them that. I'l get a picture tonight..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post

I think a more important prob is figuring out a good way of reading off a lyric sheet while using the Reflexion Filter. Lets spend time figuring that out and put the whole "what stand to use" non-sense to rest...

tutt
Did you miss my post about the Stedman Proclip or would that not work for you?
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
tutt
Did you miss my post about the Stedman Proclip or would that not work for you?
hey that actually looks pretty cool. You would have to have a second stand to work with it while using the RF, but if done right it could prove to be a good solution.

Good looking out thumbsup
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

Just wanted to expand on t.dizzle's method

I FINALLY figured out what t.dizzle was trying to explain so here it is for the ppl who missed it just like me.

Tool Kit needed
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1009.jpg

Need a screw like this. Hexa thing.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1005.jpg

Side view
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1004.jpg

Take out these screws and pivot the bar that holds the mic around to face inward instead of outward. This is now facing inward and I am tightening the screws.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1008.jpg

Looks like this when you tighten screws in this way like in previous pic where screws are being tightened in.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1007.jpg

More pics in next message.
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I just baught a huge boom stand. it has a counter weight on the opposite end and the bottom anchor of the stand weighs like 80 pounds. Worksgood for me but I think I shelled out like 100 bucks for the stand new on ebay was like $250 at guitar center. not very mobile though but I dont need that feature =)
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

Cont. from prev post

Sliding filter in place. Oh the stand is no longer leaning!!!
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1003.jpg

Just ensuring once again that screws are tightened.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1006.jpg

Side view.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1010.jpg

Front view.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1011.jpg

Angled downward view.
Reflexion Filter mounting tips-img_1012.jpg

Once again I know one dude in this thread didn't get it, and I did not figure it out til about 30 mins ago. Here's the thorough explanation. Thanks t.dizzle for the wonderful tip. Enjoy for those who were doing it wrong (like me). Now we can all rock non tilting mic stands wit a big azz reflexion filter.

P.S. Mine is on a $17 mic stand from AMS. U know the heavy duty 10lb. round base
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Kudos!

I really want to thank T.Dizzle for coming up with this idea and Jikkyboy11 for showing how to fold it the right way for those of us who are spatially challenged

I'd also like to say that I find the whole "heavy duty" mic stand part of the thread just a tad overwrought. I'm 6'3" and put the new configuration on an old round metal base mic stand I have and, unless I stumble into it HARD, I don't see this thing falling over anytime soon.

In any case thanks again for this thread!

Dan Carter
Dacart Music
* DACARTmusic
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for the bump dacart, exactly what I need right now!

edit: ... nice trick!
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Sheeiitt....I bought one of these last week....Dis is perfect for recording in poor treated closets...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search