The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drums that brings the mix and makes me move Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

okay in fl studio go to OPTIONS ---> PROJECT GENERAL SETTINGS ------> turn off "Circular panning law"

That will make your project louder. I don't know why it's turned on by default but that may help get your **** to knock.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
okay in fl studio go to OPTIONS ---> PROJECT GENERAL SETTINGS ------> turn off "Circular panning law"

That will make your project louder. I don't know why it's turned on by default but that may help get your **** to knock.

will def try that
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

It def sounds different ,but when you match the levels ,the difference isn`t really that outstanding.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

i agree. I actually prefer it on. Seems to smooth things out nicely. I guess it's taste. as far as bang'n drums i think its more of a knowledge of filters and dynamics then anything else. Certain frequencies give it that snap crackle and pop while compression can help make them feel more bold and bigger.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

my 2 cents

i actually think it has everything to do with tempo with tad bits of swing and sensitivity adjustments. if you have two kicks that go ba boom' and you take the first one down a decibal or two in volume it gives the kicks a real motion as well as simulates the way real drums are played in real life
i tend to take alot of instruments and pan them all sorts of crazy ways to give the beat a larger than life feel.. try taking that d 12 beat and matching the tempo. once you find the tempo make your own similiar beat to that tempo for practice imatating what you hear. when you are done i bet it dont sound anything like the d12 one but a whole new way of builing a beat will be opened up to you hense furthering your experience. then you keep building and builing . so on and so on.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmm...yeah, changing the panning law shouldn't make the drums "bang" more at all. It should only perhaps make them sound louder until level matched. Or so I thought...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjtracks View Post
Im not sure that I read one person mentioning the fact that the MPC gives out a harmonic distortion to the sound when going through circuitry. For example if you send a mpc through a board before it gets into your daw, well of coarse you may even hear some addition type of harmonics.
now that's the thing I want to know more about..

but how it be done? how can you do the same thing to a bass drum a snare and a hihat and make all of them more "punchy" and musical?

the closest thing I tried is a transient designer
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
jbuehler, what do you mean? how can filter improve my groove?
Sorry for the ambiguity in my reply about filtering. I have been out of town for a week and a half in the woods.

What I meant is not really applying a filter but the effect that a box or sampler has on a sound.

Like the posts that mention the SP and MP samplers and how anything that goes through them seems to get beefy and harmonically distorted.

In my studio we call this running the sound through a "filter". I know there are differences in termonology but that is what I meant.

I often run my drums sound through devices such as samplers, vintage comps and things like that.

I leave the settings minimal. It is very hard to describe what happens. I usually call it "rounding". It makes drums rounder and squishes them together so they sound more cohesive.

Try taking your rhythm and shooting it in and out of an external sampler such as an MP.

I defy you to say it doesn't sound much better and more like what you want.

Remember the difference may not be apparent with only the drums playing.
Make sure you listen to the treated drums with the rest of the song and see how it will stand out more than before.

Before my ears couldn't hear it but these days it is night and day.

Just remember, certain elements in a mix get better with these techniques and some don't....but this is good.

Your mixes will be more diverse because of the different subtle filtered differences imparted by these devices, and on some tracks, not imparted. For instance I usually don't synths this way so they are "icier" and do there own thing and don't meddle with the drums that have been treated.

This is why we call it filtering, because it is a very subtle filter happening.

And again, this isn't an aggressive process. Some people may not be able to hear the difference but once you have enough tracks, it will helps make the drums "bangs" or in a non-slang term "stand out in the mix".
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
Hmmm...yeah, changing the panning law shouldn't make the drums "bang" more at all. It should only perhaps make them sound louder until level matched. Or so I thought...
you are right i was more refering to the place ment may make a sound easier to hear if you pan it away from other instrument it may stand out more than it did if it was behind another sound. but yes you are right about"making it bang"
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Sorry for the ambiguity in my reply about filtering. I have been out of town for a week and a half in the woods.

What I meant is not really applying a filter but the effect that a box or sampler has on a sound.

Like the posts that mention the SP and MP samplers and how anything that goes through them seems to get beefy and harmonically distorted.

In my studio we call this running the sound through a "filter". I know there are differences in termonology but that is what I meant.

I often run my drums sound through devices such as samplers, vintage comps and things like that.

I leave the settings minimal. It is very hard to describe what happens. I usually call it "rounding". It makes drums rounder and squishes them together so they sound more cohesive.

Try taking your rhythm and shooting it in and out of an external sampler such as an MP.

I defy you to say it doesn't sound much better and more like what you want.

Remember the difference may not be apparent with only the drums playing.
Make sure you listen to the treated drums with the rest of the song and see how it will stand out more than before.

Before my ears couldn't hear it but these days it is night and day.

Just remember, certain elements in a mix get better with these techniques and some don't....but this is good.

Your mixes will be more diverse because of the different subtle filtered differences imparted by these devices, and on some tracks, not imparted. For instance I usually don't synths this way so they are "icier" and do there own thing and don't meddle with the drums that have been treated.

This is why we call it filtering, because it is a very subtle filter happening.

And again, this isn't an aggressive process. Some people may not be able to hear the difference but once you have enough tracks, it will helps make the drums "bangs" or in a non-slang term "stand out in the mix".

yeah yeah I know exactly what you're talking about.. this is exactly why I bought an S2000.. I don't do anything else on it I just run my samples through it to get that effect.

by the way a lotta people told my that samplers don't color sounds and MPCs have no sound, and it's good to hear somebody who's on my opinion
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post

as a side note, you really need to mess with the mixer in FL, compress, eq etc,
dont know why but FL just seems "quiet" compared to other programs.
That's because it is. FL defaults at 78% volume. The developer supposedly did this on purpose to keep newbies from clipping thier renders.

The solution? Turn it up lol.

Software with louder default volume dose not sound better by the way, or in any way at an advantage.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Wht I believe

I believe in the rounding sound thing, but I think timing still a big big thing. What I assume is the MPC quantizing, since I never had one, and playing things generally a little late makea huge difference,sometimes even leaving some miliseconds b4 a sample to make it a little late, playing them and actually hearing the diferrence. It' s something I am working on.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontenele View Post
leaving some miliseconds b4 a sample to make it a little late,
On that same note. Another awesome tip is to kill the grid and experiment with shifting each drum track slightly earlier or later. I do this at a very VERY high resolution. Use your ears and not your eyes. Doing this, ****ty grooves can really start to swing.

BTW, I bet 20$ you already knew that! heh
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

"circular panning" should be a panning switch they show you in the help but who knows

you gotta do something to your drums cuz if your drums don't sound very good swing settings won't make sense.

if you ever tried to quantize or swing or even do a non-quantized beat on an mpc or something you know it is a lot better feel somehow.

fruity can be very very close but it's a lotta work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search