The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Sold" a Beat and it will probably released as single...
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

"Sold" a Beat and it will probably released as single...

Ok I'm in Germany ,what should be in the contract?
The situation is like this:
The MC is not signed yet ,but I just heard the rough version of the track and it's a hit. Some majors are interested in his music and he got pretty much everything to make it...but once again he's not signed yet. I gave him the beat and I want payment as soon as the track makes it on the LP (which is pretty sure).
He would get the exclusive rights to the track.

I guess I'll negotiate the payment and procer points with the label ,but how can I make sure they pay me in the end?
One big Problem is I'm in Germany...so how should the contract look like?
Are there model contracts on the internet or could somebody send me one?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

wrong place for legal advice. You should be in a lawyer's office. Most situation are different each go around.

but one word of advice....

Always work the details out with the artist(s) before the tracks are made/sold...not after. Let them know what you want in return.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, an entertainment lawyer is your best bet. If want some pre-made contracts, i know modernbeats.com has some for sale for all types of scituations.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
wrong place for legal advice. You should be in a lawyer's office. Most situation are different each go around.

Always work the details out with the artist(s) before the tracks are made/sold...not after. Let them know what you want in return.
Yea I know but I just wanted to ask out of curiosity.

We already worked that out.
The artist won't pay it from his pocket so that's not the hardest part.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

All parties need lawyers. You need contracts. You need this done before they release a single thing.

Go directly to your lawyer's office, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Go directly to your lawyer's office, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
Hahaha.
Yup I see that's what I gotta do.
Mhh now I have to try to find an entertaiment lawyer in germany who is experianced in the US-Law-System.

But Just in case (I really don't belive this) the jack my stuff...what can I do anyway?
Going to court would be way to expensive for me.

I see that I need a lawyer for the contracts ,I know nothing about the US-Law-System ,but when it comes to the worst-case-scenario ...it looks pretty bad for me.^^
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post

He hit it on the head. Congrats mane! I told you it was only a matter of time!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4play View Post
He hit it on the head. Congrats mane! I told you it was only a matter of time!
Yay thank you homie.
I'll call a firend who works as A&R for a small label ,maybe he knows a good lawyer.

Any other legal advises?
Now this **** just gotta blow up and everything is fine.heh
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear
Don't tell yourself that it is the single, until it gets signed and the A&R decides it truly IS the single....or you are simply setting yourself up for dissapointment.

That being said, congrats on making a hot song....keep banging them out.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Its a double edged sword doing it this way. Once the act gets signed, if the labels are serious about releasing the project, they HAVE to pay you, or else if the song becomes a hit, you can sue the pants off them for releasing something they never paid for. The problem is, because your waiting till AFTER the act gets signed, they pretty much have you by the balls. They're gonna tell you what theyre willing to give you for the track, and if the number isnt high enough, are you REALLY NOT gonna let a MAJOR ARTIST use your track?? At least when the act is unsigned, you can tell em to scew off, and you dont feel like you could be passing up the opportunity of a lifetime. But now that the artist is signed, they KNOW your not gonna let this one go.

This is why you get all these majors asking everyone to produce songs for free till the album comes out.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Don't tell yourself that it is the single, until it gets signed and the A&R decides it truly IS the single....or you are simply setting yourself up for dissapointment.

That being said, congrats on making a hot song....keep banging them out.
Yup that's right.
I know about this ,they can also kick out the track I produced.
That's
I could deal with that np.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
Its a double edged sword doing it this way. Once the act gets signed, if the labels are serious about releasing the project, they HAVE to pay you, or else if the song becomes a hit, you can sue the pants off them for releasing something they never paid for. The problem is, because your waiting till AFTER the act gets signed, they pretty much have you by the balls. They're gonna tell you what theyre willing to give you for the track, and if the number isnt high enough, are you REALLY NOT gonna let a MAJOR ARTIST use your track?? At least when the act is unsigned, you can tell em to scew off, and you dont feel like you could be passing up the opportunity of a lifetime. But now that the artist is signed, they KNOW your not gonna let this one go.

This is why you get all these majors asking everyone to produce songs for free till the album comes out.
Thx.
I just spoke with a A&R and he told me exactly the same thing.
I'll have to find a way to work that out quickly
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Music changes very quickly. If he takes 6-12 months to get signed or get through the paperwork there is a good chance the songs that he used in his package will not be used except for the standout hits. There are so many ears on the major level that have input as to what is "The Single". Try and get something now.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
Music changes very quickly. If he takes 6-12 months to get signed or get through the paperwork there is a good chance the songs that he used in his package will not be used except for the standout hits. There are so many ears on the major level that have input as to what is "The Single". Try and get something now.
Well I'm sure the track will be also hot in 12 months.
It's not a "Timbo-Type"-Track or something like this ,I don't copy anyone.
I try to bring out something "new" (not completly new but my interpretation of how a rap-record should sound) ,so I'm not really depending on trends.

But I understand your comment ,but I'm sure this Track is perfect for the artist and It won't sound like this with someone else on the track.
If it won't be the single ,np my main goal is to create good music.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
Well I'm sure the track will be also hot in 12 months.
It's not a "Timbo-Type"-Track or something like this ,I don't copy anyone.
I try to bring out something "new" (not completly new but my interpretation of how a rap-record should sound) ,so I'm not really depending on trends.

But I understand your comment ,but I'm sure this Track is perfect for the artist and It won't sound like this with someone else on the track.
If it won't be the single ,np my main goal is to create good music.

Been there. The track may be hot. but the song that was put on the track can get dated and that gets it bumped off. Good luck. I have an artist who is signed to a major. We must have done over 50 songs before he got signed. Beats from alot of the top guys in the industry for free until we got signed. (my artist is a well known ghost writer who has done very well for himself and we have alot of relationships). By the time we got the joint venture it was knocked down to 15 songs with 10 more being recorded as we speak. Only 15-17 will make the album. The rest will not get paid on this album. We pushed off a few songs to our other artists and to soundtracks but most are not being used. It happens.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
Been there. The track may be hot. but the song that was put on the track can get dated and that gets it bumped off. Good luck. I have an artist who is signed to a major. We must have done over 50 songs before he got signed. Beats from alot of the top guys in the industry for free until we got signed. (my artist is a well known ghost writer who has done very well for himself and we have alot of relationships). By the time we got the joint venture it was knocked down to 15 songs with 10 more being recorded as we speak. Only 15-17 will make the album. The rest will not get paid on this album. We pushed off a few songs to our other artists and to soundtracks but most are not being used. It happens.
This is one of the main reasons I stress to my artists that its better to take a week, and make a very solid tune, instead of wanting to finish a track or two, every single time they hit the studio.

I myself like to hit things up quick, but anything that Im not completely drooling over is not getting mixed until its absolutely perfect.

Its tough though, cause some guys will think that they have a great 20-30 tracks that they feel confident about, but at the same time maybe only 5 or 10 of those tracks are actually keepers, and the rest are nothing more than throw-aways or album fillers at best. I guess thats where organizing a mixtape or underground album for the left over tracks could come in handy.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
This is one of the main reasons I stress to my artists that its better to take a week, and make a very solid tune, instead of wanting to finish a track or two, every single time they hit the studio.

I myself like to hit things up quick, but anything that Im not completely drooling over is not getting mixed until its absolutely perfect.

Its tough though, cause some guys will think that they have a great 20-30 tracks that they feel confident about, but at the same time maybe only 5 or 10 of those tracks are actually keepers, and the rest are nothing more than throw-aways or album fillers at best. I guess thats where organizing a mixtape or underground album for the left over tracks could come in handy.
Yup.
Thats true ,I`m about the redo the whole beat because I think it`s not perfect yet. Got some problems with the bridge but I`ll work that out today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search