The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
can any1 offer any gd methods or techniques on vocal recording?
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

can any1 offer any gd methods or techniques on vocal recording?

im a rapper an i wanna learn more ways of lacin vocals on trax in the studio better....

like best place for ad lib's?

are double's always needed?

stuff like dat.....
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
About 3 feet to the left from the mic
Quote:
No
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by war martial View Post
im a rapper an i wanna learn more ways of lacin vocals on trax in the studio better....

stuff like dat.....

Rent time in a professional studio. (maybe hire a good producer) Learn from experience, then practice what you learned.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

thanx......

is der any gd techniques tho for makin the chorus standout effect wise? or method wise?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Rent time in a professional studio. (maybe hire a good producer) Learn from experience, then practice what you learned.

That is awsome advise...i know to some it may sound pompus but in all reality talent doesnt come cheap and the best way to learn is to watch a professional and practice practice.

but just to pass along some of my own advise. i usually lace the verse with one track to start. i try not to punch unless the punch was designed to be there but if you run outa breath stop smoking exersize. after i lace the first track i will do over dubz hitting on phrases i want to stick out or that need to be solid to get the visual picture across ... there is no rules for over dubz. i have buddies that do three tracks all the way through and run it through vocalign in pro t and its sounds great but i like that jayz ,obvious over dub feel. but you have to have your own swagga with it. that i can not teach you
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by war martial View Post
thanx......

is der any gd techniques tho for makin the chorus standout effect wise? or method wise?
yes there is. its a chorus effect.........just playin with you son.. i like to run a delay througha aux send, route the aux send back to the track and pan the send left and the original track pan right put the delay on say a slap echo at 38 ms gives it that wide non chorusy hook effect that is all over the radio....enjoy
MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I gotta go with the guy that suggested the ideal of hooking up with a producer.

A lot of times that is a very overlooked thing done by many who dont have much pro recording experience.

A producer will know how to get the best out of you, and he or she will have all the answers to the same questions you are asking right now.

They will basically be your guide to making a great song. Your Basic job as a rapper is to just write if you do your own writting and rap your lungs out.
If you dont know how something should be done, or how the chorus should be rapped to have it stand out the best, thats what the producer is there for.

Now as a rapper, what you can do on your own behalf, is learn and develop your own techniques. If you can do that, and figure out how you like to do stuff, then you will need less input from a producer or others.

The first place you can start doing this is by popping in some of those old albums, or looking through all your MP3s and listening to some greatly recorded rap tunes, and study how they do it, and see if you can implement it into your own flow and style.
Old 6th September 2007

My Method

The way I get my vocals to sound thick is by first having the artist Rap his lyrics all the way through, in other words do his lead part first.
Then I have him do the adlibs with the 2 high 2 low method. Now the way you do that is you rap only certain segments that need emphasis or punch line rhyming words on your adlib track. The first 2 adlib tracks will be higher in pitch then you will do the same thing with the next 2 adlibs but have a lower pitch. "Be sure not to confuse pitch with volume." ANyway once you do that go ahead and tell your engineer to try this. Pan the first adlib to the left and the second alib with the same pitch to the right. Then do the same for the next to which contain the lower pitch. This whole thing creates a stereo chorus effect. After the I bus them to a soft delay and "Walla" You have the thickess Vocals backing your Lead Vocal.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjtracks View Post
and "Walla" You have the thickess.
Ummmmm...... Its actually "Voila". Accent on the "A" when used in French sentences if we were to get more technical on the matter.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Rapper Vocals

I am a rapper (MySpace.com - MC Celtic - LAKE WORTH, Florida - Hip Hop / Rap - www.myspace.com/celtic01) and I record the main vocals in sections. I don't try to run through a whole verse because your voice gets weaker. Split your main verse in half as an example. Then, use Steinberg Vocal VST to thicken them up. If you want to add chorus or multiple voices without doing 1000 takes, get clone ensemble VST and that will add voices automatically. Steinberg Vocal VST and clone ensemble is a pretty bad ass combo for hip hop.

I don't add alot of ad libs because its so played out in my opinion. I do double some parts to emphasize the verse on a 2nd or 3rd track. The beautiful thing about hip hop vocals is that you can get real creative with what you can do so just try different recording techniques. Don't limit yourself.

Also, get an Audio Technica 4040 mic and Focusrite pre amp and use the compressor on the Focus Rite and you will get an amazing vocal recording for hip hop.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search