The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Advice on Mixing Vocals Studio Monitors
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

If all else fails, hire me to do it!
Old 7th July 2009
Spend most of your time on the eq. My biggiest problem when i first started mixing was trying to use FX and Compressors to make vocals sound big. If it's Eq'd well the rest can be easy. If it's Eq'd poorly youre in for a nightmare.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twin View Post
I've never really mixed vocals, just preproduction tracks, and I need some advice on mixing (not recording) vocals. I know some of the basic fundamentals, ie. carving out the center with EQ etc., but I can use some advice. What kind of chains do y'all use - de-esser, comp, etc.? How do I mix and pan the adlibs, doubles, etc.? What about reverb, chorus, and delays? And what are some other things I should look out for? I know this is a big ass subject, but whatever knowledge y'all can drop on me in a condensed form would be aprpeciated.

By the way, this will be all in the box, using Sonar and/or PT 6.8.

Just wrote my chain here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ly-vocals.html
Old 14th April 2010
Here for the gear

I usually compress the living hell out of a vocal and eq 3k and usually 8k. Not very much because I like keeping the vocal warm. Too much high end and you won't be able to listen loud I've found. I'm no pro but I'm learning.

I've experimented with several techniques including using 3 compressors at once on the vocal channel. I definitely dig that technique it keeps the vocal centered and widens it a bit for a pop recording. I always use a high pass around 150hz.

I also use two to three aux sends to a reverb, delay, and stereo widener this beefs up the vocal.

I'm still learning so I don't know if that helps at all.
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Addict

I had to mix all day yesterday after i got off work (16 hr day)

I had a lot of fun though, I really never tried stacking compressors and after stacking three compressors, 2 eq's , reverb, gate, and de'esser I was really liking the sound I was getting. It took my mix to a whole nother lvl. I am pritty excited about some of the tricks I started to learn just throwin plugin's around and having fun!!
Old 9th May 2010
Here for the gear

That's great to hear. I love squashing the vocals so that you have all the of the dynamic control in the mix and it also gets the vocal really up in your face. Also using stereo spreader can be a cool way to beef up your vocal.

Make sure you always use aux sends for your reverbs and delays. Always keep those 100% wet and at unity and control them with your busses on the channel you're mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search