The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AYO Technology
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

AYO Technology

This world keep on getting more crazy...!

HOW in the h*** can you over-compress a track like that - release it - and sleep peacefully!?!

Mastering guy, must've had more red lights flashing than the entire Red Light District!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

HOW in the h*** can you over-compress a track like that - release it - and sleep peacefully!?!

Mastering guy, must've had more red lights flashing than the entire Red Light District!
the kick clips a few times also (not the nasty type - more of a colision of lower frequencies) -- but its still very annoying
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

do we really thing the guys didn't know this ???

i don't think any timbaland or whatever producer will handout his work
to guys with untrained ears to master/mix it etc...maybe i am wrong, but
I think we are just plain wrong! They wanted it as how it is even if you don't get it
and you get crazy with it.

Did you ever get crazy on a overdriven guitar or amped rhodes ???
It's pure distortion you add to the clean tone! NOW: IS IT BAD OR NICE ?

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

The cd single from interscope sounds fine to me. Can we chalk it up to a bad mp3 since the album in not in stores for another 2 1/2 weeks? I agree with chester too.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
The cd single from interscope sounds fine to me. Can we chalk it up to a bad mp3 since the album in not in stores for another 2 1/2 weeks? I agree with chester too.
nope - i get Promo Only discs in the mail
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe they wanted it to sound a certain way in clubs?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
Maybe they wanted it to sound a certain way in clubs?
that's a very important fact that gets overlooked. when your joint hits the clubs it better be as loud as the record before it or people will be hittin the bar instead of dancing
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe some of us spend too much time worrying about what other cats are doing, and less time on trying to figure out and perfect their own creative processes.

Even if it is clipping, there is no rules to producing, recording, mixing and mastering music. Its all up to the creativity of everyone who is involved. As long as its good enough for the general public, no one will care if its clipping, and most general music listeners wont know, and arent bounded to what they like by whether or not there is a bit of distortion or clipping.

We gotta keep in mind that we are not making music for ourselves, or to show off to each other, we are making tunes for the general listening public so we can put food on the table. Or at least that should apply to those of us who do it on the pro level..
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Maybe some of us spend too much time worrying about what other cats are doing, and less time on trying to figure out and perfect their own creative processes.

Even if it is clipping, there is no rules to producing, recording, mixing and mastering music. Its all up to the creativity of everyone who is involved. As long as its good enough for the general public, no one will care if its clipping, and most general music listeners wont know, and arent bounded to what they like by whether or not there is a bit of distortion or clipping.

We gotta keep in mind that we are not making music for ourselves, or to show off to each other, we are making tunes for the general listening public so we can put food on the table. Or at least that should apply to those of us who do it on the pro level..

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry, but I see no excuses for this one. The kick is a mess of distortion every time it hits. It sounds terrible. It's a loudness war thing, plain and simple. Sad...

But what can we expect when 50's older discs are horribly distorted already? They're only going to make the new stuff louder, right?

Anyhow, I think on Tim's recent productions, the mastering engineer is not to blame. Listen to a CD w/ his productions alongside other producers' work. ALWAYS more distortion in his tracks.

But anyway, aside from the barely listenable quality, I like vibe of the track.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

It's a great track - I'm just sad, it's such a mess to enjoy listening to!

If you hear the track in headphones, it's is one hell of a ride!

I know all about the LOUD factor today, I just think this one is way outta line
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Pops nice thru my laptop..
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX View Post
Pops nice thru my laptop..
they we have it, that's what counts! it needs to be spinable on laptop, ipods and clubs and radio. what our "highend" monitors tell is maybe not the right approach of how things sound. True: it's silly to our ears! but, all those late 50's recordings sound silly through my monitors too, but the songs are great! and i like the tone!

there is no right or wrong, our ears get trained over the years to a special sound, with digital and low-noise gear we can get a very clean, uncolored tone if we want, but the public ears don't care about this.

what if the ears get more trained to mp3 (say 10 years) than play someone a DSD File...they maybe will tell you there is something wrong cause them ears got trained to the artefacts/special sound of mp3 and missing it. Only because it is distorted i must not be destroyed, yes we as engineers say it is, but as a creative approach it is NOT.

bye ches
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

It is always sounds kinda silly to me when the track doesn't get any louder when the beat drops.

Almost a silly as mush-mouth himself, and his late (oops I mean 'lazy') flow.

I just don't get 50 cent. The beat itself is fine, I suppose, if you don't mind repetition. And I've heard plenty of tracks just as loud. Club music has had binary dynamics for years now. No big deal.

Sure, this one has a pretty distorted kick drum. I can't say for sure if that's a product of mastering, mixing, or the beat making itself.

To me, the track sounds kinda small overall.... with the exception of 50's vocal, which is unfortunately enormous...
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

People that mix on highend monitors daily will get adjusted to that level of sound, so when they hear music on a mp3 player or boombox or anything low fi or low quality mp3 their like OUCH that hurts. But when you get a person who listens to apple itunes on ipods or low fi gear like most consumer listeners do, when they actually hear it on a highend system they don't know what to think cause they are so use to very compressed jittery one dimentional sound.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I 100% agree with you - "consumers" have NO clue about what's sounding good and horrible, technically! And I'm not saying they should.

Some say, "that's the sound he want's" - well... I find it very hard to believe, a top producer like that (hell any producer), likes the sound of incredible EQ-clash/clipping/dipping, on every first hit in the bar.

And in this case with this track, I actually think allot of consumers would stop up and think: "What the f*** is wrong with my iPod!"
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
It is always sounds kinda silly to me when the track doesn't get any louder when the beat drops.

Almost a silly as mush-mouth himself, and his late (oops I mean 'lazy') flow.

I just don't get 50 cent. The beat itself is fine, I suppose, if you don't mind repetition. And I've heard plenty of tracks just as loud. Club music has had binary dynamics for years now. No big deal.

Sure, this one has a pretty distorted kick drum. I can't say for sure if that's a product of mastering, mixing, or the beat making itself.

To me, the track sounds kinda small overall.... with the exception of 50's vocal, which is unfortunately enormous...
yeah its wierd..usually the kick dominates a track but with this one...its just...NOISE

a pile of poo
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
yeah its wierd..usually the kick dominates a track but with this one...its just...NOISE

a pile of poo
also that spraypaint can shaking sample in the background is the most annoying thing ive ever heard

but yeah when u got the best somgwriters in the world...nothing matters
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I 100% agree with you - "consumers" have NO clue about what's sounding good and horrible, technically! And I'm not saying they should.

Some say, "that's the sound he want's" - well... I find it very hard to believe, a top producer like that (hell any producer), likes the sound of incredible EQ-clash/clipping/dipping, on every first hit in the bar.

And in this case with this track, I actually think allot of consumers would stop up and think: "What the f*** is wrong with my iPod!"
hahahaha could u imagine people calling apple saying, i think my ipod is broken my music sounds muffled and not good. apple tech replies "are you playing ayo technology song" YES
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
hahahaha could u imagine people calling apple saying, i think my ipod is broken my music sounds muffled and not good. apple tech replies "are you playing ayo technology song" YES
HAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S FIRE!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hah, what can I say.. I'm just trying to help out Apple in the long run heh
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
also that spraypaint can shaking sample in the background is the most annoying thing ive ever heard

but yeah when u got the best somgwriters in the world...nothing matters
yea whatsup with that spraypaint sound. it sounds kinda offbeat too...totally annoying. i didnt even hear it till the end of the song when only the beats playin and after that i couldnt help but notice it anytime i listen to the song.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
RIGHT!!! this site is more like 'other people's mix' sluts! let's talk about what WE have going on, and stop dikriding lol
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think it has more to do with people's concern about the trends in music production leaning toward poor engineering and distortion. Definitely fair game for discussion here, IMO. But whadda I know...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like it.
The Snare is dope.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

That song remind me of my own first poor attempts to do mastering when i bought the TC Finalizer like 10 years ago.....
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post
That song remind me of my own first poor attempts to do mastering when i bought the TC Finalizer like 10 years ago.....
i literally laffed out loud on that one heh
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
I think it has more to do with people's concern about the trends in music production leaning toward poor engineering and distortion. Definitely fair game for discussion here, IMO. But whadda I know...
My point exactly!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

as far I know Ayo Technology is NOT out officially.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

My bad it IS out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search