The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SNARE ROLLS ON THE MPC Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

SNARE ROLLS ON THE MPC

can any of you mpc users tell me how to do those snare rolls like you hear in alot of southern music?? for example cool&dre ,the runners,and of course mannie fresh?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

hold down note repeat.....set your snare to 16 levels using pitch

hold various pads. done.
Old 28th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADMANN View Post
can any of you mpc users tell me how to do those snare rolls like you hear in alot of southern music?? for example cool&dre ,the runners,and of course mannie fresh?
Listen to cynic and go buy some Mantronix records too.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

sounds good thx for the tips
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Listen to cynic and go buy some Mantronix records too.

"aint gon" get him those KLC rolls heh LOL
Old 28th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
"aint gon" get him those KLC rolls heh LOL
Well, ask KL where HE got em.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

..LMAO

Multiple Bounce Roll
Triple Stroke Roll
Double Stroke Roll
Five Stroke Roll
Six Stroke Roll
Seven Stroke Roll
Nine Stroke Roll
Thirteen Stroke Roll
Fifteen Stroke Roll
Seventeen Stroke Roll
Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
..LMAO

Multiple Bounce Roll
Triple Stroke Roll
Double Stroke Roll
Five Stroke Roll
Six Stroke Roll
Seven Stroke Roll
Nine Stroke Roll
Thirteen Stroke Roll
Fifteen Stroke Roll
Seventeen Stroke Roll
Nope try again. (IF you start with a D you'll be in the right direction)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

lol. nobody really wants to share any tricks when it comes to snare rolls.my advice: its all in the pattern.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-List View Post
lol. nobody really wants to share any tricks when it comes to snare rolls.my advice: its all in the pattern.
na man...Its an inside joke. heh

I hear folks ask this question all the time and can't figure out what's so hard about the southern rolls. Hell...maybe we are doing something special?

but as posted above, play around with the repeat button. You can also loop record and do different passes on the roll. combining 8th, 16th, & 32th notes maybe even add in triplets.

practices makes progress.

P.S. Mantronix ¤ Kurtis Mantronik - Audio
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Damn that **** comes easy 4 us. We can do drum rolls in our sleep.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Damn that **** comes easy 4 us. We can do drum rolls in our sleep.
yeah....i think i figured it out because of my experience living in s.carolina and texas......hahah
Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
I used to do drum rolls on a TR626 and a 707.

It's easy today, you get a button for it
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

note repeat can't do the triggerman drumroll tho :x
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
hummm... says who?

rolls can be done on any sequencer when you understand notes and tempo.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
hummm... says who?

rolls can be done on any sequencer when you understand notes and tempo.
haha....i guess it could if you change the quantize value on the fly while you're playing it........
Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
You don't need note repeat for that.

(LOL NUK, if It wasn't for New Orleans, NOBODY would call that song Triggerman and You do realize I was the first to sample it in a record in the NO right?)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You don't need note repeat for that.

(LOL NUK, if It wasn't for New Orleans, NOBODY would call that song Triggerman and You do realize I was the first to sample it in a record in the NO right?)
Hey u got sum of dat old **** ya'll did D?
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Hey u got sum of dat old **** ya'll did D?
I still have the DATs (LOL But I don't have a dat machine).heh
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

what's a DAT? Is that a drum machine? heh Can I import it into Protools?

and man...u know I aint green...LOL hell, I still use a patch named "39 kick"

I THINK...New Orleans producers made The Showboys more money than they made from the original release.
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
what's a DAT? Is that a drum machine? heh Can I import it into Protools?

and man...u know I aint green...LOL hell, I still use a patch named "39 kick"

I THINK...New Orleans producers made The Showboys more money than they made from the original release.
They changed the name in a future pressing to Triggerman BECAUSE of New Orleans.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still have the DATs (LOL But I don't have a dat machine).heh
hahahahaha But guess what? I still got a DAT machine. After Protools I still drop to DAT. I cant let go!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
They changed the name in a future pressing to Triggerman BECAUSE of New Orleans.
you seen the article in this month's scratch magazine right?
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
you seen the article in this month's scratch magazine right?
NAH, Tell me about it.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
NAH, Tell me about it.
It's basically saying how Showboys were from NYC, and nobody knew em there. The record flopped there. They didn't even know it was big down south for a long time, until someone called for them to do a show.

Good read, you should check it out...

Until I read it I didn't know **** about the track besides that Tech N9ne sampled it for his song PlanetRock2k1 off of Anghellic...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

lol...man I remember walking from the Florida projects all the way to Gentilly to buy the LP(vinyl). I think it was from Sound Warehouse?? on Chef. This was like '85.

If you dig deep...you'll find New Orleans has a lot of influence in lots of music all over the world.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Badman...

You'll never get the answer here... Trust me (or mpc-forums)... They do something special... some turn off the Quantization... other use note repeat... either method you try... wont work too well... ... I racked my brain forever... and asked Nuk how to do it... and although it seems they are pointing you in the right direction (which they are).... your results wont sound as good...

The closest I came to something that sounded good to my ears... was by duplicating the snare (16 level pitching one of them), messing with the swing in the mpc... then automating a filter and using a transgate...

Nuk... send me a midi file... come on playa... in exchange... I'll kick over some work (they have a budget of 2k - 5k a beat)... you can even do the mix... I know for sure Eric doesn't wanna deal with the dude...

BTW... it's not that we can't do it... but I'll give credit where credit is due... you all have that ish on lock... if I could do it as good as you guys... I could make an extra 5 grand a month pushing swag beats for mixtapes locally...

Jay
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta View Post
Badman...

You'll never get the answer here... Trust me (or mpc-forums)... They do something special... some turn off the Quantization... other use note repeat... either method you try... wont work too well... ... I racked my brain forever... and asked Nuk how to do it... and although it seems they are pointing you in the right direction (which they are).... your results wont sound as good...

The closest I came to something that sounded good to my ears... was by duplicating the snare (16 level pitching one of them), messing with the swing in the mpc... then automating a filter and using a transgate...

Nuk... send me a midi file... come on playa... in exchange... I'll kick over some work (they have a budget of 2k - 5k a beat)... you can even do the mix... I know for sure Eric doesn't wanna deal with the dude...

BTW... it's not that we can't do it... but I'll give credit where credit is due... you all have that ish on lock... if I could do it as good as you guys... I could make an extra 5 grand a month pushing swag beats for mixtapes locally...

Jay
? Nuk just told you EXACTLY how Fresh does it. Don't turn the quantize off that's a mistake for this.

You have to know the difference between a 1/16, 1/32 note and their triplet variations. From there you're home free. I didn't respond because it's simple. It was hard back when Mantronix did it with drum machines that only had step write, and you had to double the tempo of the beat. Now you just tap it in.

LOL I didn't know this was held in high regard. (I'll go put it in some beats this week Now that I know).
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
lol...man I remember walking from the Florida projects all the way to Gentilly to buy the LP(vinyl). I think it was from Sound Warehouse?? on Chef. This was like '85.

If you dig deep...you'll find New Orleans has a lot of influence in lots of music all over the world.
LOL Damn u just took me way back.heh I still remember going to a party on Freret street with Jayson Neville and the cats from Deff Generation and hearing Triggerman the first time. (You gotta miss house parties.)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Man they making the snare roll seem like rocket science. It's pretty basic. Test out your rolls on different note settings(1/16, 1/32 or whatever) and get funky. It's not that hard to get that "signature" drum roll that us New Orleanians are known for

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search