The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SNARE ROLLS ON THE MPC Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Man they making the snare roll seem like rocket science. It's pretty basic. Test out your rolls on different note settings(1/16, 1/32 or whatever) and get funky. It's not that hard to get that "signature" drum roll that us New Orleanians are known for
no ****, i figured it out in about 2 minutes.....it's not hard guys :/

now if you wanna get into hard ****, let's talk about DNB drumrolls and fills. or something aphex twin or squarepusher would do.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Okay then... hows this... some peoples drum programming sounds better than others... just like piano playing, guitar playing and just like some peoples mixes sound better than others...

Yeah anyone can hit the note repeat button... but if it doesn't sound like your fav record or what the client wants... then it's a no go...

Basically, just because it's the same pattern... doesn't mean you can't like the sound and feel of one more than the other... thats why you have thread like... how do I get my drums to thump like so and so...

Have you ever heard a bad attempt at a drum roll... if not spend more time on myspace... Who knows, some of yours might be the bad ones... it wouldn't be the first time someone on this site fronted... I however... peep the forum for gems (or any info that make me go Ahhhhhh Haaa)... even tho I've heard less than .001% of the forums members mix... I try the suggestions out... if it improves what I'm trying to accomplish... then cool... if not... then I keep trying...

I don't see a problem with someone trying to get an answer... esp. when you know there is prolly a simple step that your skipping... plus asking a simple question is humbling...

It could be a bad choice of snare drum...
Old 31st August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta View Post
Okay then... hows this... some peoples drum programming sounds better than others... just like piano playing, guitar playing and just like some peoples mixes sound better than others...

Yeah anyone can hit the note repeat button... but if it doesn't sound like your fav record or what the client wants... then it's a no go...

Basically, just because it's the same pattern... doesn't mean you can't like the sound and feel of one more than the other... thats why you have thread like... how do I get my drums to thump like so and so...

Have you ever heard a bad attempt at a drum roll... if not spend more time on myspace... Who knows, some of yours might be the bad ones... it wouldn't be the first time someone on this site fronted... I however... peep the forum for gems (or any info that make me go Ahhhhhh Haaa)... even tho I've heard less than .001% of the forums members mix... I try the suggestions out... if it improves what I'm trying to accomplish... then cool... if not... then I keep trying...

I don't see a problem with someone trying to get an answer... esp. when you know there is prolly a simple step that your skipping... plus asking a simple question is humbling...

It could be a bad choice of snare drum...
If you wanna put beat programming on the level with guitar/piano playing go right ahead, but everyone I know can program drum beats pretty good.
(I'll take your word on the myspace bad ones. LOL if they are that bad, I don't wanna hear em.)heh
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

If it seems THAT hard for so much ppl ,maybe I should start selling snare-roll packs.heh Or do a Snare Roll VSTi.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm starting to like this thread.

Ok Ok Ok ....I do have the secret to the southern snare roll.

But if I tell ya....i gotta kill ya

who's first in line?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

i started this thread because i figured there more too it than just holding note repeat>maybe there was a certain pattern used or done in a certain order ,even a certain swing used? some of the guys i mentioned have very tight snare rolls ,but there r def alot of weak ones especially on myspace!!the tip i got on using pitch shift was good !!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Badman... unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone is being really helpful to ya. It seems some have given you answers but haven't been as detailed as you would have liked.

I use my MPC 1000 purely as a trigger for ReDrum in Reason. Hell you can even draw in the notes if you like. My only advice would be to grab some nice dry snares and/or toms and drop em on the 16th or 32nd notes. But pitch each one seperately.

The key to the whole thing is to pitch them differently but keep them within the SCALE of the song.

I admit in can be a bit of trial and error cuz sometimes it can be a challenge to get what you hear in your head into the sequencer. Just **** wit it til it sound right man.

Goodluck fam!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

ya'll are really trippin hard in saying no one is trying to help. If you read the above posts and then do what you have been told...you shouldnt have a problem.

Its like someone asking "How do I press the record button".... and then after you have been told "how to".... you still asking the same question. Seriously.

What you are asking is so simple that it' crazy to even ask. The MPC's repeat button is all you need now-a-days. If you understood music theory you could do it without the repeat button. If you want different pitches....use the slider and repeat button together. If you want different note durations....use the 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, triple buttons together with the repeat button. You can even lock the repeat button, hit the snare pad, and move the slide(or change between 1/8, 1/16, etc) all on one record pass. All you can always edit want you have recorded.(edit mode, step mode) There...i pretty much repeated what was has already been said.

Now go practice let everyone else has done.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta View Post
Badman...

You'll never get the answer here... Trust me (or mpc-forums)... They do something special... some turn off the Quantization... other use note repeat... either method you try... wont work too well... ... I racked my brain forever... and asked Nuk how to do it... and although it seems they are pointing you in the right direction (which they are).... your results wont sound as good...

The closest I came to something that sounded good to my ears... was by duplicating the snare (16 level pitching one of them), messing with the swing in the mpc... then automating a filter and using a transgate...

Nuk... send me a midi file... come on playa... in exchange... I'll kick over some work (they have a budget of 2k - 5k a beat)... you can even do the mix... I know for sure Eric doesn't wanna deal with the dude...

BTW... it's not that we can't do it... but I'll give credit where credit is due... you all have that ish on lock... if I could do it as good as you guys... I could make an extra 5 grand a month pushing swag beats for mixtapes locally...

Jay

LOL....Jay. You been had my cell number man. But I thought I told you how........ same as the above posts.

And you can fly back to Dallas whenever. "and keep yo' eyes on yo' luggage" hehheh
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Which snare sample is normally used for this? I tried with a regular old triton snare and it didn't work out to well.
Old 2nd September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillz24 View Post
Which snare sample is normally used for this? I tried with a regular old triton snare and it didn't work out to well.
LOL
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
LOL
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

LOL...u aint right Dart

man.. the original Triton(& Trinity) didnt seem to have good drum sounds. IMO

layer man, layer!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

this thread turned into total comedy. mpc table anyone? :p
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

if you dont have anymore comments id like too change the subject a little ,im sure you dont want me starting another thread for this one!! i have one more question for u mostly southern producers where do yall get those chants from i hear in alot of songs comming from the south? like lil jon,trackboyz,mannie usually goes HEY,HEY,HEY or something like that,i know that people prob use there vocal booth but ive also seen people do it from ther mps where can i find those kind of samples?? even voices like you hear on timbo song i remeber someone posted a clip of a woman laughing that he used on his album,i also think neptunes use this kinda stuff in there production.also you can check the song laff at em remix by timbo and jt has a cool voice sample. r they coming from some kind of sample cd or is it done by sound designers???
point in the right irection and ill find my way from there
thx in advance!!
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

A majority of those are actual artists/producers layering their vocals in a booth. A few may be samples from ANYTHING! Vinyl, cd, tape whatever. U find somethin u like, chop it and load it into the MPC etc. But samples like those on commercial cds are rare.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

create 2 or 3 new tracks after the main vox has been recorded.

name them hype1, 2, 3 etc etc

then hit the record button for each take. Let the artist do what they do. from beginning to end.

sometimes you can sample a few chants and program them into the track.

just as simple as CREATING A SNARE/808/HAT ROLL.

My Dawggggg...just to show you a lil bit.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

this is my first post on Gearslutz, though I've been a lurker for about 6 month now. I absolutely love this forum and I learn so much from you - THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

I also wondered how they do these cool Dirty South-Style snare-rolls and hoped this threat would give me some "secrets" and detailed advice, but it seems like some people who gave answers didn't decribe their methods as clear/detailed as I had hoped for. I think that they know the trick, but find it too obvious to talk about it in detail. Most of the posts were more or less "...play with different pitches of your snare samples" or "...experiment with different beats like 8th/16th/32th".

Hmmm....

Then I saw the Mannie Fresh video and thought maybe there are video tutorials on YouTube about this topic and

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

I found at least 3 tutorials which are quite revealing. Now I know what the people in this threat meant with their above statements. It really seems to be just a matter of

- DIFFERENT PITCHES and
- DIFFERENT BEATS (8th/16th/32th) plus an
- ADEQUATE SNARE SAMPLE and some playing with
- DIFFERENT VELOCITIES (e.g. every second 16th with a lower velocity value) and maybe some
- EXPERIMENTS with the MICROTIMING (swing factor,...).
So if you know the trick, it must be really easy

Can't wait to go to the studio and try it out!

Here are the YouTube Snare-Roll Tutorials I found:

HTML Code:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vSKlZ2QBmpA
HTML Code:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pP561_vg5kY
HTML Code:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XcVwhof0s7g
Hope these vids help you as much as they helped me
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

jesus...

first of all, i don´t produce hip hop, i apologize

going through this thread got me wondering what you guys talking about, but thanks to the above poster (you tube links), now i know what it´s all about...

an almost 8 min video tutorial on snare rools? wow, i thought you are talking about more complicated things...unbelievable....maby someone got some links to video tutorials "how to programm an off beat hh"?....noe that would help me....
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

again....its no magic trick. Just like a sampling producer had to practice to get his chopping and loopin skills right. Southern producers PRACTICED their style and got it right.

But it just to so many people don't want to practice. The seem to think its much easier to be spoon feed the info. heh
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxpot View Post
jesus...

first of all, i don´t produce hip hop, i apologize

going through this thread got me wondering what you guys talking about, but thanks to the above poster (you tube links), now i know what it´s all about...

an almost 8 min video tutorial on snare rools? wow, i thought you are talking about more complicated things...unbelievable....maby someone got some links to video tutorials "how to programm an off beat hh"?....noe that would help me....
yeah-its like some people need a paintingbynumbers course to draw a line.........

BTW i like to apply the pitchbender with a resolution of 2 octaves up and down to my snaredrums for some real whacky rolls
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
haha....i guess it could if you change the quantize value on the fly while you're playing it........
Thats what I do

---------------- Now playing: Jay-Z Feat. Chris Martin - Beach Chair via FoxyTunes
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Really ,don't rack your brain about snare-rolls...
I'll sell them for 50 bucks a pack .
Get at me. hehthumbsup
Low Price huh?
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

16 levels to make em different, quant off or 1/32, slow down the tempo alot

ps - mannie fresh beats sound weak
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscarbones View Post

Mannie Fresh beats sound weak? You better have at least 10 plaques on your wall and consistant work before you talk homie. It's funny how folks with no resume can easily say somebodies work is "weak, wack" but they have yet to make a dent in the game themselves. I feel we should "accomplish" **** before we talk ****......Cuz everybody is "Dr. Dre" in the comfort of their own home....
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

show us a beat you made pls.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Mannie Fresh beats sound weak? You better have at least 10 plaques on your wall and consistant work before you talk homie. It's funny how folks with no resume can easily say somebodies work is "weak, wack" but they have yet to make a dent in the game themselves. I feel we should "accomplish" **** before we talk ****......Cuz everybody is "Dr. Dre" in the comfort of their own home....
Ah my man Ace already said it.
Word word!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

i don't like his beats and their whole style is chump to me

they sound corny

if you like em go head and bump em but i don't like the ones i've heard

here's 2 of my beats made with basic equipment

mpc1000, vinyl, an old ass garbage casio keyboard, tracked in cubase with sum plug-ins

Who Got Game?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3545838bf1afe8/

Reflections

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3545884363d7af/
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

they sound corny

mpc1000, vinyl, an old ass garbage casio keyboard, tracked in cubase with sum plug-ins

Who Got Game?

zSHARE - whogotgame.mp3

Reflections

zSHARE - reflections.mp3
ok ok..I heard ya beats and like I said, get ya weight up before you start dissing. Now back to our regularly schedule program(snare rolls)
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

they sound corny

Who Got Game?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3545838bf1afe8/

Reflections

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3545884363d7af/

Casio keyboard? Are you ****tin me? Really???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search