The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JUST ORDERED THE MIKO DIRECT FROM OPEN LABS..GOOD OR BAD? Digital Converters
Old 27th August 2007
JUST ORDERED THE MIKO DIRECT FROM OPEN LABS..GOOD OR BAD?

Ive done the research on this thing for like 2 weeks straight and LOVED everything i read about it. I heard about it about a year ago from my boy but the price kept me from looking more into it. Mine will be here in 2 weeks and just wanted to know if anyone has it or played around with it. What do you think about it, good and bad?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

played around with it...wasn't even remotely close to being worth the money for me.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

its a computer with a keyboard built in..not very impressive. but i hope it serves you well!!
Old 28th August 2007

You could have bought a laptop, a Presonus Firebox (same interfrace) and a controller for less, but if you like it...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I got one coming ......as long as it gets the job done! Ill be happy
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly.....I was at GC and i was playing with it.....i wasnt really impressed to....cheap converters....a regular pc.....but a nice looking setup.....its cool.....but not 3 thousand dollar cool.........
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Man quit bagging this machine. It's a great machine and it does with it states it do. Yes you may can get the results with a laptop and the such, but with an all-in-to-one like this, it would get rather expensive. So it is what is and it does what it does. I've had my Neko for years and would never go back to using a laptop.
Old 28th August 2007
WOW! Didnt know it was sooo many "MIKO" haters in heya! well i hear you guys say "well you can get a laptop, get this, get that, blah blah blah" BUT THATS THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT IT" because I DIDNT want to buy this, buy that and have 10 different things going on around me to accomplish 1 thing: MAKING A TRACK! Just like Ace'Lo stated above "its an all in one piece", it ONLY makes since to have one and it does what it supposed to do.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
WOW! Didnt know it was sooo many "MIKO" haters in heya! well i hear you guys say "well you can get a laptop, get this, get that, blah blah blah" BUT THATS THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT IT" because I DIDNT want to buy this, buy that and have 10 different things going on around me to accomplish 1 thing: MAKING A TRACK! Just like Ace'Lo stated above "its an all in one piece", it ONLY makes since to have one and it does what it supposed to do.

if thats what works for you,the all in one box approach, then you'll love it. me, not so much...i wouldn't use half its capabilities in lieu of better sounding alternatives.
Old 28th August 2007

Quote:
I don't think people are really hating on it, but your post said:
Quote:
What do you think about it, good and bad?
So people are sharing their opinions on it, both good and bad. I think it's a capable product and you'll enjoy it.

I wouldn't want to use a PC to make music, so it's not really a go for me. I would prefer a Macbook Pro with Lavry DA10 and Axiom for about the same money...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why are you asking about others opinions on something that you've done research on and already purchased? If validation is what you seek, the lame sit downs with Lil John and Timbo should do it for you... Enjoy your Miko
Old 28th August 2007
I asked the opinions of cats who actually "PLAYED, TOUCHED, RUBBED, LICKED IT, etc.." I did my research, my ONLINE and OVER THE PHONE, TALKING TO PEOPLE research on it. Go back and READ the post man. I welcome all opinions on this, just didnt know it was so many MIKO HATERS! some people sound a lil...............bitter about it..like its the piece you want but despise it cause of the price or something..............hummmmm
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Rallycampmusic, your signature, in this post, is ironic......
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I asked the opinions of cats who actually "PLAYED, TOUCHED, RUBBED, LICKED IT, etc.." I did my research, my ONLINE and OVER THE PHONE, TALKING TO PEOPLE research on it. Go back and READ the post man. I welcome all opinions on this, just didnt know it was so many MIKO HATERS! some people sound a lil...............bitter about it..like its the piece you want but despise it cause of the price or something..............hummmmm
It has nuttin to do with ppl hating on the MIKO or despising it because of the price. It has to do with ppl who prefer to take the time and care to put together their own combinations of equipment, instead of buying it all in one like that.

For me personally, getting something like that wouldn't make any sense, because I like to do thorough research and pick out each part for myself and make sure its all things that im actually going to use, maybe for you, everything you get with the MIKO is all stuff that is worth the money you are spending.
Id only buy the Timbaland Edition, and use it as a portable DAW solution, which I think it would be greatly suited for, but not as the center of my studio.

Saying that doesnt mean im hating on MIKO does it?

Does everyone have to agree with and love the same things you do?

Did you buy the product to attract and make new friends? or did you buy it to make music?

Dont worry about what ppl think, hopefully you did your own thorough research and made the right choice. You dont need any of us saying whether its good or bad, to validate your decision. Become a leader with that stuff and not a follower.

Its not like ppl will be able to tell whether or not you made a tune using one of those or not.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

reminds me of an apple ][.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I want one!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The only seeming thing of value would be the soundbanks. For 4k, it better have at least 100GB of TOPSHELF sounds.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

when i hit the jackpot im going to get the timbo edition.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm sorry Sir, but you are one of the most thick-headed people on this board.

You ASKED for everybody's personal opinion, good AND bad. Then you try to insult their intelligence by suggesting they're blasting it solely because of the price. This is Gearslutz, son. Price is no object. You're just butt-hurt that everyone isn't praising the damn thing.

In any case, enjoy. I hope it's easier for you getting along with it than that complicated Pro Foolz program.

Signed,

Sgt. Sarcasm
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Ive done the research on this thing for like 2 weeks straight and LOVED everything i read about it. I heard about it about a year ago from my boy but the price kept me from looking more into it. Mine will be here in 2 weeks and just wanted to know if anyone has it or played around with it. What do you think about it, good and bad?
This Miko thing has marketing written all over it. I thought that when I first read about it. Super-producers have become starts in their own right and companies are marketing on it and obivously making a killing.

The fact that the Miko has consumer quality converters says it all. I haven't heard the Miko but I have heard the firebox and they sound nasty IMHO.The other problem with having all the components in one unit is that if one thing goes wrong with it, ur done making any tracks.

How long is the warranty?
Old 28th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

Have I played/touched/breathed on/licked the Miko? No, but I did check it out after hearing about it on here. It seems like a pretty cool device that fills a void for many people. I personally think the price is unreasonable for what you get, but whatever...

On another note, what is the nonsense about hating? Why is it that if someone disagrees or has something negative to say they're hating? People can actually dislike something without disliking someone or what they do. Strange concept...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Did you see the picture of the guy that was burning it!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

Fart ops I farted I am laughing so bad fart fart fart fart!

That was funny!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Heres my honest opinion of the piece from what time I've had with it...

I've been psyched on this piece for a couple years now just didn't want to make the plunge since I couldn't get my hands on one to test. Moved out to atl recently and they have one at the GC which i've had to spend way too much time in recently. But I was happy that they had one there for me to play with and then possibly purchase.

I stepped up to it, set it to a patch that seemed like it would sound nice and hit a few notes....well the quality of the sound that came out the speakers made me decide not to buy it in about 10 seconds. Tried out a few more patches, same....I was pretty disappointed.

I dont know about the connections on it but I would definitely need some new converters hooked up. And maybe wait for it to slim down.

Thats just my honest opinion, not trying to hate and money is not the issue but for me the quality is. For me it is not a good buy.

That being said, I know grips of people who love sounds I hate and vice versa so if you like it and it works for you then that is awesome and you made a great purchase. Obviously it works since its in use and out there on the radio.
Old 29th August 2007
Well I respect ALL your opinions on the piece. Good and bad. When I said "HATING" on the piece it was because cats made it seem like the price is what they were so mad about. And whats crazy is ALL the recent gear I just dump added almost up to what I spent on the dam MIKO so I didnt really SPEND anything outta MY pocket. I just know I wont have to "reach here, reach there, turn around and click this on a computer thats half way across the room then go back over to the keyboard" And all this about pieces "SOUNDING" or bad, Im not into all that. Im not a dog so I dont have this super keen hearing or this ultra NEXT level of hearing that everyone else may have but I cant say "oh this piece SOUNDS better or worst than this piece". If I stop and just concentrate on JUST how good or bad converters are, I would get s**t done and it will keep from making music. I dont time to stop and smell the roses on that. Thats a joke and a its something that can be taking care of later in the future. Its all kinds of crap sounding songs on the radio. The point is, IT MADE IT TO RADIO.
Old 29th August 2007
jje
Gear Nut

I don't think anyone was "mad" at the price, per se. It was more like expressing what they felt were rational views - namely, that they view the Miko as only a $100 interface, $150 midi controller, $500 computer, and a $500 touchscreen for...$3000. For more than a few people, that kind of math simply doesn't add up and in their eyes, the extra inconvenience of having a laptop, better interface, and better midi controller for the same (or less) price is more important.

I must admit that the touchscreen is a nice touch. heh

I do hope that you're happy with your purchase.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I respect ALL your opinions on the piece. Good and bad. When I said "HATING" on the piece it was because cats made it seem like the price is what they were so mad about. And whats crazy is ALL the recent gear I just dump added almost up to what I spent on the dam MIKO so I didnt really SPEND anything outta MY pocket. I just know I wont have to "reach here, reach there, turn around and click this on a computer thats half way across the room then go back over to the keyboard" And all this about pieces "SOUNDING" or bad, Im not into all that. Im not a dog so I dont have this super keen hearing or this ultra NEXT level of hearing that everyone else may have but I cant say "oh this piece SOUNDS better or worst than this piece". If I stop and just concentrate on JUST how good or bad converters are, I would get s**t done and it will keep from making music. I dont time to stop and smell the roses on that. Thats a joke and a its something that can be taking care of later in the future. Its all kinds of crap sounding songs on the radio. The point is, IT MADE IT TO RADIO.
Sometimes that same crap you are hearing on the radio is backed by some money going the music director or DJ's way. Money makes the world go round. When you dont have money to spend like that yet, you gotta make sure your product sounds 10 times better than the average.
You can get away with getting a half-assed song on the radio, but you cant get away with getting half-assed quality played on the radio, they just wouldnt have that.

Make the music, but upgrade in small increments at the same time as you have the need for better equipment. The better you get at making the music on your own, the more you will develope a need for better or different flavours.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Had original Neko. Found a player to take it off my hands after 5 months. IMHO, overated.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Sometimes that same crap you are hearing on the radio is backed by some money going the music director or DJ's way. Money makes the world go round. When you dont have money to spend like that yet, you gotta make sure your product sounds 10 times better than the average.
You can get away with getting a half-assed song on the radio, but you cant get away with getting half-assed quality played on the radio, they just wouldnt have that.

Make the music, but upgrade in small increments at the same time as you have the need for better equipment. The better you get at making the music on your own, the more you will develope a need for better or different flavours.
Sometimes?
Old 29th August 2007

Quote:
You probably should have started the thread saying:

"I'm justiufying my purchase, so don't tell me anything negative... I don't care if the converters suck or anything else, it's mine and it's perfect for me."
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search