The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chopping Samples In Pro Tools ? DAW Software
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Chopping Samples In Pro Tools ?

Hey

Just wondering if there is a quicker way to cut up samples and break beats in pro tools?

At the moment I record a break beat of a record - then I make a selection over the first kick I then go file >Bounce to>disk - I then then type in the name (kd1) . After I have done the above for each kick snare hihat etc I sound into my mpc 1000.

Is there a easy quicker way to do this all in the edit page of Pro Tools?

Any help would be great

thanks

D
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

why don't you sample straight into the mpc?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

chopping in the mpc takes way too long and you have to hit too many buttons and dials

protools, zoom in and a few mouse clicks and ur good
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

but i thought mpc users don't like mouse clicks?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_town View Post
Just wondering if there is a quicker way to cut up samples and break beats in pro tools?
Not sure if it's much easier or different than what you do, but I...

record into PT
chop
export to a folder or desktop
using Ak.sys, I drag the samples from the folder/desktop to my Z4

If the MPC 1000 is compatible with Ak.sys, I'd download it immediately.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
but i thought mpc users don't like mouse clicks?
This MPC user got sick of not having a mouse as well and I ended up ditching my MPC for FL.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

I don't know how much quicker it is but this is the method I use. After recording the sample into protools, I go through the sample (most of the time using tab to transient) and chop using command-e to split the sample at the cursor. I select the regions I want, whether it be all or just a few, and press command-shift-k to export the regions to wherever I want. If you want the files named in a certain way I think you have to rename the region before exporting but I never end up doing this. Hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoonchul View Post
I don't know how much quicker it is but this is the method I use. After recording the sample into protools, I go through the sample (most of the time using tab to transient) and chop using command-e to split the sample at the cursor. I select the regions I want, whether it be all or just a few, and press command-shift-k to export the regions to wherever I want. If you want the files named in a certain way I think you have to rename the region before exporting but I never end up doing this. Hope this helps.
this is the way i do it too, but remember, u have to consolidate the regions before exporting them, and also make sure to select the proper export settings...my mp only accepts 16bit 44.1k, so 24 bit samples wont play, or will have to be converted
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Guys

Editing and consolidating the regions works really well thanks for the tip
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

You know what would be neat?

If you could drag and drop regions from tools onto Battery for example and trigger that from a TriggerFinger or similar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search