The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A couple questions about recording spdif.... Audio Interfaces
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

A couple questions about recording spdif....

I currently am using an m-audio audiophile usb soundcard to record my tracks from my mpc 2500 into nuendo 3... One thing i found is that when i record my kick track it loses some of the punch once its recorded into my daw... I just had a couple questions about how to improve my recording....

1. I know when you record spdif it bypasses the converters so I was just wondering if you bought a higher quality soundcard with spdif would it actually improve the sound quality of the recording? Im thinking about buying an mbox 2 and switching to pro tools...

2. Does having a high quality RCA cable improve the recording?

3. And anybody who owns an mbox 2 and records spdif how are the results for you?

Any information would be appreciated... thank you....

I just tried recording into acid and I found it has a MUCH better sound then nuendo... Im gonna use that now for tracking and mixing
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

i was wondering the same thing.

i was wondering i wanted to use protools le and was just tracking beats from the spdif would it make a difference if i picked up the mbox mini over the pro factory?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

S/PDIF stands for Sony/Phillips Digital InterFace.

It transfers data only. When you "record" s/pdif from one device to the next, you're basically transferring the data that's already been digitized and you still have to depend on your DA converter to translate the 0's and 1's into analog sound, and the same goes for getting sound IN to your device, you'll need an AD converter to take the analog signal (electrical) and convert it to digital.

The quality of the AD converter is the key, once your converter has taken the analog source and converted it to data (and that's why you pay a nice amount of dough for the ones that do this well), all you're doing with S/PDIF if transferring this data from one device to the next.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

...so to answer your questions, assuming you're going to use your MPC's S/PDIF I/O:

1) If you bought a better soundcard (meaning one with better AD/DA converters) the quality won't improve in the sense that the quality of the data would be "better", S/PDIF will simply transfer the 0's and 1's, the DA converter, however, if it's a better one, will give you a better sound, not because the S/PDIF transfer improved, but because it's a cleaner DA converter and you're hearing what was there to begin with...better.

2) I've always stuck to using digital cables for S/PDIF, there are people that use plain ol' RCA cables for S/PDIF transfers who say it makes no difference; to be honest, I don't know because I've always just bought S/PDIF cables.

3) no experience with the MBOX2, sorry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search