The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need to change the KEY of a song..... Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 25th August 2007
  #1
Registered User
 

Need to change the KEY of a song.....

I need to change the key of a song that I'm working on to fit a female vocal. The crappy news is that the track is finished and I have to rasie it up a full step, fom D to E. I guess my options are to remake the track (it has lots of synths and will probably turn out a lttle different) or try using a Pitch shift plug in. I have already researched and downloaded the demo of Pitch ' N Time Pro but I'm having trouble getting it authorized, I'm waiting to here back from the company. And I think the stock pitch shift plugin in PT sound like terds so I'm gotta try something else.

So that's my problem, I'm just curious what everyone else has done in this situation. And if anybody likes or dislikes pitch shift plugins.

I don't know, I was also thinking about quiting music and getting a job. Help me decide!!
Old 25th August 2007
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarific View Post
I need to change the key of a song that I'm working on to fit a female vocal. The crappy news is that the track is finished and I have to rasie it up a full step, fom D to E. I guess my options are to remake the track (it has lots of synths and will probably turn out a lttle different) or try using a Pitch shift plug in. I have already researched and downloaded the demo of Pitch ' N Time Pro but I'm having trouble getting it authorized, I'm waiting to here back from the company. And I think the stock pitch shift plugin in PT sound like terds so I'm gotta try something else.

So that's my problem, I'm just curious what everyone else has done in this situation. And if anybody likes or dislikes pitch shift plugins.

I don't know, I was also thinking about quiting music and getting a job. Help me decide!!
did you used vst synths ? or synths with midi option...you should have to backup those midi

from the D to E is a small step maybe it works without a big mess....

bye ches
Old 25th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Gear Tramp's Avatar
 

Try the newer Digi Time Shift plug instead... it has a better pitch shift.

Or, if you have GarageBand '08 you can audition different keys on the fly...

Take note, this is why God invented made Adam and MIDI.
Old 25th August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Print to tape, then just adjust the speed. No digital artifacts. A few Beatles songs were changed by more than just a step.
Old 25th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Print to tape, then just adjust the speed. No digital artifacts. A few Beatles songs were changed by more than just a step.
yea but now the song will faster correct?
Old 25th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Can she really not sing it in that key?

A compromise would be for her to come down a half step and you go up a half step.

Yes the song would be shorter.
Old 25th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Alex Niedt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Can she really not sing it in that key?

A compromise would be for her to come down a half step and you go up a half step.

Yes the song would be shorter.
Agreed. I'd hope to raise it as little as possible. Hopefully it's a pretty fat sounding track so raising the pitch of the entire thing won't thin it out too much?
Old 25th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Can she really not sing it in that key?

A compromise would be for her to come down a half step and you go up a half step.

Yes the song would be shorter.
yea i would think they'd want the tempo the same. I'd go midi where possible, and if you can believe it, on the version of PT that i use (6.1.9 i think) the standard 'Pitch" plugin is actually pretty damn good... just dont forget to pitch your drums, or things will sound off.

for your drums, you can take off the check next to 'time correcion' ---but you'll have to re-fly them onto the grid.. (shouldnt be hard for a rap/hiphop song) that way your drums are pitched without artifacts thus preserving a more natural attack, ESPECIALLY for low end sounds
Old 26th August 2007
  #9
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Try MELODYNE!!!!!
Old 26th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

I would change the MIDI settings(pitch) then re-record the audio. Some plugins pitch don't work too hot..IMO They tend to add a little something to the audio SOMETIMES.

and as touched on above....before you re-record it, see if she could sing in that key. You might need try another key.
Old 26th August 2007
  #11
Registered User
 

Thanks for everybody's help and advice. Since I started this thread a few hours ago I just remade the track. Wasnt that complicated. I don't use midi for recording my parts I just play them all live. Apperently not many people do that. Any feedback on Pitch 'n Time Pro?
Old 26th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Business Mistake

If your studio is by the hour (as it should be for just about everything), then you're making a mistake. Just retrack everything, and charge the client. Maybe I'm evil, but I like making a living. Doing things too fast is bad for business. If I could make an entire Steely Dan album in 3 hours, then there would be no point in being in business. You gotta have hours to make money.
Old 26th August 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
If your studio is by the hour (as it should be for just about everything), then you're making a mistake. Just retrack everything, and charge the client. Maybe I'm evil, but I like making a living. Doing things too fast is bad for business.
I think this is the problem with our industry...

It's fine to get hours, but to intentionally prolong a clients session for no other reason than to make more money because you can is just greedy. I mean, I know it's the American way and all, but jeez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
If I could make an entire Steely Dan album in 3 hours, then there would be no point in being in business. You gotta have hours to make money.
The point in being in business would be because you enjoyed it. I love what I do, not the money I make doing it.
Old 26th August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
swisha31's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
I think this is the problem with our industry...

It's fine to get hours, but to intentionally prolong a clients session for no other reason than to make more money because you can is just greedy. I mean, I know it's the American way and all, but jeez...



The point in being in business would be because you enjoyed it. I love what I do, not the money I make doing it.

yeah, getting paid handsomely while doing something you love is always the plus and IMO shouldn't be glamorized because then everybody thinks they can do it.
Old 30th August 2007
  #15
Gear Head
+1 for Melodyne. Seriously insane pitch n time capabilities.
Old 30th August 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Melodyne or Pitch n' Time. Both work well for +1/-1 tranposing audio.
Old 30th August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 

I lowered a song an entire step with Pitch n time, worked fine. The new Digidesign will probably work as well.
Old 30th August 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

If the whole point of this debacle is just one vocal that REALLY can't be sung in the right key than I would do it like this.

1: Pitch the song up. Record vocals.

2: Pitch vocals down and sync them to original beat.

This way the rhythms and punch of the track will stay untouched and that takes a lot more work to get right.

This seems pretty simple though I have never done it. Anyway have anything wrong with the above practice?
Old 31st August 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
rokuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Try MELODYNE!!!!!
!!!yes!!!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
SIR P / So much gear, so little time
0
quietdrive / So much gear, so little time
34
bgrotto / So much gear, so little time
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump