The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best 808 in the business! can't open it up! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

best 808 in the business! can't open it up!

The best 808 long kick that I've ever heard is in garageband! But when I go to open it up there isn't file name associated with it. Very interesting.

It's located in the Hip Hop Kit in the lower octaves. Anybody know what format it's in?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

gotta wav editor on your mac? play it and record that **** into your wav editor.......i snatch hella **** on my pc with wavelab like that.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would like to open it up in Battery or something, but I tried to load it up in Peak and it's unrecognizable!

I've used it for years, but I need to use it Cubase, but I can't get anything to read it!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

nah nah nah.......sequence something in garage band. an 808 once a bar or something.

open your sound editor separately. in wavelab, i can hit the record button, and it'll capture everything that's currently playing on the system.

basically i'm telling you, sample it. feel me?
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

or export it as a wav file
Old 25th August 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
The best 808 long kick that I've ever heard is in garageband! But when I go to open it up there isn't file name associated with it. Very interesting.

It's located in the Hip Hop Kit in the lower octaves. Anybody know what format it's in?
The best 808 you ever heard is from garage band? Wow!

D
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riecespieces View Post
or export it as a wav file
heh i'm makin it all complicated........
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

hey Jason,

I just found the sound in the finder and it looked as if it is some sort of proprietary format.

however, I right clicked on the sound,
then choose the "open with"
menu command, and I opened the sound in my audio editor with no problem

then I did a "save as"
command and saved it as a wav file.

good luck
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, for some reason some of the GB samples are in a non-wav/aiff format...

BUT... here's the easiest way to go about this:

Just copy the file(s) to your desktop, add the extension ".aif" and there is your sample. No need to open any programs or anything else.

Done.

..So it's not really a special format, it looks like they just removed the file extension.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

It's simple..
just open up HD>Library>Application Support>GarageBand>Instrument Library>Sampler>Sampler Files>Hip Hop Kit.

Then copy the kick sound, paste it somewhere else, and then right-click, "Get Info", and type ".aif" at the end of the file name.
It will then ask you if you want to "Add" or "Don't Add", just click "Add" and your 808 Kick should be ready to go.

I had to do that too.
It's not the best though, (IMO) but It's still a great kick for hits or just heavy bass music.

-good luck
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

How about once you grab it, you post it here? I'm really curious how great this Garageband 808 is.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, the 808 sounds in garage band and logic are pretty dope. you can't export as a wav tho, only as an aac into itunes. its not a wav/aiff sound like some of the single hits, because gb's 808 is more of a soft synth sound rather than a sample hit. i would suggest getting someone to bounce it out of logic for you, thats what i did, and trust me, it was worth the effort!!!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro View Post
yeah, the 808 sounds in garage band and logic are pretty dope. you can't export as a wav tho, only as an aac into itunes. its not a wav/aiff sound like some of the single hits, because gb's 808 is more of a soft synth sound rather than a sample hit. i would suggest getting someone to bounce it out of logic for you, thats what i did, and trust me, it was worth the effort!!!
I'll try all of the above. I'm surprised more people don't know about this 808. Maestro is right, it's more of a strait sine wave, but it's the fullest and deepest 808 that I've heard!

I used to use Klophgeist (sp?) plugin in logic but this one is better to me!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro View Post
yeah, the 808 sounds in garage band and logic are pretty dope. you can't export as a wav tho, only as an aac into itunes.
Actually that's incorrect. You export as a 16/44.1 aiff to iTunes. It's NOT aac.

Otherwise you are exporting it in a compressed format if you do the podcast export.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Actually that's incorrect. You export as a 16/44.1 aiff to iTunes. It's NOT aac.

Otherwise you are exporting it in a compressed format if you do the podcast export.
You are absolutely correct. i just did a quick test and apparently I never attempted to use the send to itunes function. I had assumed that the export to podcast was the only option for exporting audio out of garage band. Sorry, I hate to post incorrect information
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why don't you guys post the wav so we can see if it's really that good. I have my doubts on the "best 808 sound ever". I make my own drops but I'd love to compare. Come on slutz...
Old 26th August 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Here ya go.
Attached Files

kick - hip hop short.wav (203.3 KB, 673 views)

kick - hip hop long.wav (1.52 MB, 826 views)

kick - hip hop med.wav (543.7 KB, 763 views)

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Why don't you guys post the wav so we can see if it's really that good. I have my doubts on the "best 808 sound ever". I make my own drops but I'd love to compare. Come on slutz...
There is another REALLY hot one in Ultrabeat thats fantastic! But for some reason I get a lot of producers in the studio that always ask for the hip hop kit 808 kick. There isn't a lick of distortion in that sample!

I put it in Battery and used the pitch envelope to give it the pitch glide effect that real tr808s seems to have and it worked beautifully.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

We had no problem opening this one up

Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

I second that
d16 group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - Nepheton

the best one out there besides the original

get it and set it
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search