The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor setting Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Compressor setting

I know there is no set rule for compression, but when I'm compressing my vocals the peak levels are not getting squashed as they should. Some compression settings I use: 2:1 (fast attack) (slow release) 4:1 (fast attack) (slow release) or (fast attack) & (fast release) need help!!! Thank mates.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP View Post
I know there is no set rule for compression, but when I'm compressing my vocals the peak levels are not getting squashed as they should. Some compression settings I use: 2:1 (fast attack) (slow release) 4:1 (fast attack) (slow release) or (fast attack) & (fast release) need help!!! Thank mates.
If it's not doing its job, increase the threshold as that is what tells the compressor when to kick in.

Otherwise try running two.

I run a 3:1 comp slow/fast and then a second one 5:1 fast/slow and squash the hell out of that one.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Rukas, thanks for responding. I use a Tube-Tech CL 1B and Focusrite ISA 220, but the CL 1B I mainly use for tracking vocals, bass, snare, and guitar. The ISA 220 get used, when tracking piano and softer sounds. I use the ISA 220 for mixing as well as the CL1B, but the 220 has a transparent sound which I love so @ times I will mingle with the 220. I have tried different setting, but no luck; I been auto mixing the vocals to get them consistent, which is working but is time consuming. I will try what mention above, thanks.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

hip hop standard template

If you are setting your ratio that low, audio is still gona creep past it causeing your meter to hit the red. the trick is is to find a a setting that prevent it from clipping but still add a nice color to the sound. you can use a compressor as a limiter as well if that isthe sound you are looking for.
Upon hanging out with disco d(he produced ski mask way by 50) i picked up a couple tricks that i noticed were standard umongst todays up and coming hip hop producers. obviously it must hold some weight becuse multiple producers start there compression as follows. but is never the same for every track. if you have a anolog compressor start with your settings low because it is better to add more compression later then to be suck with the compression you recorded with. you can not undo anolog compression so start small and always remember fast attack medium release. so for your anolog start some where around a 2:1 or 3:1 with a threshold of around 6:1. now dont use these numbers as the ones you need to set to. start around these areas and adjust it to fit your song...
set the attack at 1.5ms and the release around 400. adjust the knee to bring a crisper compression or a relaxed one. now when you add compression later with a plug in try setting the thresh some where around 12:1 and the ratio 6:1. i usually st my thesh double what the ratio is so if its a thresh of 10:1 then the ratio is 5:1
keep the same fast attact and medium release. great sources tell me this is a common teplate for alot of hip hop producers. now of course they haveout standing equipment that is more accurate at these settings but at least you know where to start adjusting at. tweek some settings untill you think it sounds like thevocals on your fav song and keep practicing.

sorry to all the producers who know this stuff but refuse to honestly pass along advise with out corrupting it. i believe knowlege is free www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions

Last edited by feedback711; 27th August 2007 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Feedback711, does this same method work on pre-recorded tracks. I previously recorded a song and I don't want to re-record it agin. My CL1B adds color to my vocals, which I love when I use it for mixing which I do, sometimes it gives me that 'Rock Distortion' sound. Those settings you mentioned above I will use them. Thanks for taking time out and sharing knowledge that you could have pased up as you stated in you post.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
If you are setting your ratio that low, audio is still gona creep past it causeing your meter to hit the red. the trick is is to find a a setting that prevent it from clipping but still add a nice color to the sound. you can use a compressor as a limiter as well if that isthe sound you are looking for.
Upon hanging out with disco d(he produced ski mask way by 50) i picked up a couple tricks that i noticed were standard umongst todays up and coming hip hop producers. obviously it must hold some weight becuse multiple producers start there compression as follows. but is never the same for every track. if you have a anolog compressor start with your settings low because it is better to add more compression later then to be suck with the compression you recorded with. you can not undo anolog compression so start small and always remember fast attack medium release. so for your anolog start some where around a 2:1 or 3:1 with a threshold of around 6:1. now dont use these numbers as the ones you need to set to. start around these areas and adjust it to fit your song...
set the attack at 1.5ms and the release around 400. adjust the knee to bring a crisper compression or a relaxed one. now when you add compression later with a plug in try setting the thresh some where around 12:1 and the ratio 6:1. i usually st my thesh double what the ratio is so if its a thresh of 10:1 then the ratio is 5:1
keep the same fast attact and medium release. great sources tell me this is a common teplate for alot of hip hop producers. now of course they haveout standing equipment that is more accurate at these settings but at least you know where to start adjusting at. tweek some settings untill you think it sounds like thevocals on your fav song and keep practicing.

sorry to all the producers who know this stuff but refuse to honestly pass along advise with out corrupting it. i believe knowlege is free MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions
hold on. threshold settings on a compressor are relative to the amount of input coming in. why are your threshold settings in ratios? so when you say "a thresh of 12:1", do you mean 12db of reduction?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

sounds like you are looking for what a LIMITER does vs a compressor.

Quote:
peak levels are not getting squashed as they should
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Nukmusic, I recorded a song 3 weeks ago and I don't want to re-record the song again. @ the time of recording the song I used medium attrack and fast release, which did not smooth out the vocals for me. I have a limiter on ISA 220, but I don't use it because from I what I was told it is only good with the digital out optional card which I don't have.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
hold on. threshold settings on a compressor are relative to the amount of input coming in. why are your threshold settings in ratios? so when you say "a thresh of 12:1", do you mean 12db of reduction?
i just got so carried away pecking these keys with my two fingers that i put a : in there i guess i should proof read. people might get confused. but as far as pre recorded tracks go you canalways use compression, just use your ear if you have a solo track you want to buss out for compression on top of other compressors you have used, thats fine. its just a matter of taste and what sound you are looking for. just dont over do it. some times iuse a plug called camel crusher. and the funnything is is that it is the free version. but check out what i use it for. the camel crusher is a plug in that adds distortion to things like british crunch for guitars or what not well it has this preset for tube warmth, now we all know that cheap plug ins will never match the sound of a good tube. but if you run your vocals through a compressor that adds solid compression and you use a solid state pre , a decent one with a good sonic quality, you can buss the effect, turn down the mix level of the plug in through the plug. and add a brilliant sound to the syllables and almost creat a whole new sonic feel to the vocals doing a really good emulation of more expensive mics and pre's . of course its is not the same as owning these devices but if you are like me,broke, then you have to make things work
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP View Post
Nukmusic, I recorded a song 3 weeks ago and I don't want to re-record the song again. @ the time of recording the song I used medium attrack and fast release, which did not smooth out the vocals for me. I have a limiter on ISA 220, but I don't use it because from I what I was told it is only good with the digital out optional card which I don't have.
not sure about the 220. only used the 430. But who told you not to use the limiter? man...different strokes for different folks. You can use anything and everything YOU feel works..if its what you need. I remember a time when I thought I lacked engineering knowledge and searched to learn more. I soon found that I was already doing most of what I was searching to learn.

during recording...Most folks don't squash the vox. they just tame them a bit. Then doing the mixdown...they might add more compression and/ or limiting to get the final sound.

If i understand you.... try (during mixdown) hitting the vox with a higher ratio and lower thres. as mentioned above. Then boosting the makeup gain(or comp output).

try a 1176 type plugin.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks, I really appreciate all the info I recieve from my fellow gearslutz.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
not sure about the 220. only used the 430. But who told you not to use the limiter? man...different strokes for different folks. You can use anything and everything YOU feel works..if its what you need. I remember a time when I thought I lacked engineering knowledge and searched to learn more. I soon found that I was already doing most of what I was searching to learn.

during recording...Most folks don't squash the vox. they just tame them a bit. Then doing the mixdown...they might add more compression and/ or limiting to get the final sound.

If i understand you.... try (during mixdown) hitting the vox with a higher ratio and lower thres. as mentioned above. Then boosting the makeup gain(or comp output).

try a 1176 type plugin.
very wise....i like that in you . who told you not to use a limiter.
i run a limiter or a multiband comp on the main out channel to prevent peaking thats almost a givin. wth out a limiter something would get ota hand
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

I think it was tech support from Sweetwater or Focusrite. They said"If I don't have the digital output then the limiter want do me any good to have because I want get a hot enough signal to activate the limiter ever when the active light is on."
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

well then

as long as you have a good pre amp your signal will be plenty hot.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Feedback711, since I've been using the limiter on the ISA220 my vocals sound really awesome; There has not been any peaking on vocals and things are getting squashed to my liking. Thanks!!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

as mentioned before

don't do too much when recording. You can always add(squash) more later in the mixdown stage.

Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Nukmusic, The Tube-Tech CL 1B is a "MONSTER" when it comes to getting that warmth out of vocals. I don't squash them at all. My limiter takes care of the peaks and the compressor just smooth things out a little bit.

Rukas, mentioned if one compressor doesn't do the job, use another one for mixing with. The ISA 220 compressor is transparent (neutral) sounding, which is good because I still hear the warmth from the CL1B but I'm not sure if the 220 can handle compressing vocals for when mixing to really squash the "HELL" out of them to give that consistency. THe EQ's on the 220 gives a certain polish sound on its on. Just wonderful!!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

didnt know u had the TT. Good deal. Hey...just try out different options. You never know what works until to try it.

Using the limiter before the compressor can help keep the compressor from activating too quickly.

pic:
Focusrite: Hi Resolution Product Image
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the help I recieve on this forum. Have a happy and safe LABOR DAY!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search