The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BASS question! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

BASS question!

Sup y'all!
Just wondering and struggling to get the bass sounds the way I like...still a long process to me, btw for some particular tracks I'd need to get a "subby bass" sound, like Dilla/Waajeed type of'ish (well a lotta producers too), how can I move on that?! I mean, is it basically the way these producers EQ that bass sound or is it a synth sub-bass or something like that?! Def EQing it'll gon help a lot but I feel it's due more to the type of bass sound they're using...any help?!

Thanks!

Hed
Old 27th August 2007
Sub Bass Compression

With that type of Sub bass sound, I have found that envelope shaping (compression) and subtle EQ (after compression) can go a long way. It might also be of interest to purchase a real bass GTR and simply sample the sustain of the low note. Just pluck a note and let it ring.

I would recommend that you use of an outboard compressor, perhaps the Purple MC77, to really tune the attack and motion of the bass transient. You will be able to bring up the sub harmonic content in order to fit it in the mix with the rest of the tracks.

I would also recommend the Crane Song Trakker, as it can do some pretty amazing tricks for really hard to tame bass transients. I have found that the Trakker allows me to control the complex dynamic's of really low frequencies, while maintaining a really clear and focused presentation of the bass note and texture.

peace
mixwell
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

yep

alot is the eq but alot is the rack synth they use. i cant remember what keyboard had that dilla bass but it is real hard to get that sound outa a plug in synth. but eq will add power

this may or may not work for you but give it a try. if you want power punch you in the gut bass pull up the eq for your kick drum. run a low pass filter cutting everything high all the way back to like 1 or 2khz depending on your taste now this will sound outa place by its self so bare with me,
now pull up your bass eq and cut the same outta it only boost some around 67hz.by 3 to 6 db just a little past 60 but not to 70 and turn it up. this will make the bass not loud but powerfull along with the kick hitting with blended frequencies ,it just sounds so good for that deep bass.... try it a couple times and dont take my eq settings as cut and dry always adjust to your liking . peace
Old 6th October 2011
Here for the gear

paypal me 100 bones and I"ll send you that vst / patch

paypal me 100 bones and I"ll send you that vst / patch and variations that you can use for the type of bass that you want.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

it's not what it sounds like.
there's less sub than you'd expect.

adding sub, especially in a bad treated room, will just leave you with no headroom a very quite mix that'll translate very badly to small speakers and buds etc.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0pasetik View Post
paypal me 100 bones and I"ll send you that vst / patch and variations that you can use for the type of bass that you want.

bumping a 4 year old post to solicit $ for nothing is a highly dubious business practice
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search