The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC 3000 anybody still using it? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac
MPC 3000 anybody still using it?

any producers still dig the sound and feel of the mpc 3000
if so why? whats cool about it?

Thanks,
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

no, everyone sold theirs. give me yours - i'm starting a graveyard.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post

Thanks,
Maybe not too much ppl on here, but there are still hip hop producers out there that have hung on to using theirs instead of ditching it for something like a 4000. If im not mistaken, Dr.Dre uses a couple of them during his production sessions to lay down different drum parts, which most likely means that Scott Storch uses the samething in his own studio as well.

I have one between me and my business partner that was bought used, but recently we have moved away from toying around with that stuff during production sessions.

If you are looking into buying your first MPC, just go for a 4000, or if your cash is more restricted a 2000.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hell yea people still use it. Dre, Hi-Tek, Swizz, Lil Jon, KLC(Beats by the Pound) and I damn sure still use mine!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

almost every big mainstream producer still uses one for at least some of their beats. danja, rodney jerkins, cool & dre, and all the guys ace lo already mentioned as well.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

me

i use mine every single time i do something. i've thought about selling it for something more modern... again.

one program per sequence is annoying as hell, plus i got an mpc60mk1 so im good with the grooves.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Maybe not too much ppl on here, but there are still hip hop producers out there that have hung on to using theirs instead of ditching it for something like a 4000. If im not mistaken, Dr.Dre uses a couple of them during his production sessions to lay down different drum parts, which most likely means that Scott Storch uses the samething in his own studio as well.

I have one between me and my business partner that was bought used, but recently we have moved away from toying around with that stuff during production sessions.

If you are looking into buying your first MPC, just go for a 4000, or if your cash is more restricted a 2000.
storch uses a 2000xl. Dilla used a 3k, DJ Quik uses a 3k, Swizz Beats uses a 3k, Rich Harrison uses a 3k, a lot of the stuff that puffy was given credit for was on a 3k also I believe. I am sure theres more but thats all I can think of off top. I personally find the 4k to be overkill myself tho. To me the 3k is the best sounding me on every production Ive heard on it but I've never used one. I'd consider it as my first mpc or the 2k or maybe even the 1k.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante310 View Post
almost every big mainstream producer still uses one for at least some of their beats. danja, rodney jerkins, cool & dre, and all the guys ace lo already mentioned as well.
thats news to me. i thought danja had a 4k and cool and dre had a 2kxl. i learned something new today
Old 25th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Hell yea people still use it. Dre, Hi-Tek, Swizz, Lil Jon, KLC(Beats by the Pound) and I damn sure still use mine!
I was in the lab with KL all last week.

MPC 4000. (LOL But he does have a few 3k's)

He's part of the reason I bought a 4k. I used one at his spot.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I was in the lab with KL all last week.

MPC 4000. (LOL But he does have a few 3k's)

He's part of the reason I bought a 4k. I used one at his spot.
Damn he went back 2 the 4000? Carlos told me KL pulled the 3000 from out the vaults and saw how much better and thicker it sounded compared to the 4000 and went back to it....I guess it's whatever sound your going for at the time. But I know he still has the orginial 808!
Old 25th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Damn he went back 2 the 4000? Carlos told me KL pulled the 3000 from out the vaults and saw how much better and thicker it sounded compared to the 4000 and went back to it....I guess it's whatever sound your going for at the time. But I know he still has the orginial 808!
LOL I put the Midi on that 808.

Have you ever sampled in both, recorded and listened

AFTER MATCHING levels?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

KL huh. I kicked with duke when he went to a convention in Hattiesburg about 3 years ago and havent heard from son since then. At that time he had just went through that suit he had against P. He was supposed to be droppin an album right after then and I remember him showing wendy day the album cover but that was last thing i heard.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
LOL I put the Midi on that 808.

Have you ever sampled in both, recorded and listened

AFTER MATCHING levels?
what a minute....u put the midi on his 808....ok SSL...we need to talk. Cuz I need that on mine. I have the midi/sync box, but it has'nt been much help(or maybe I got it hooked up wrong).
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
storch uses a 2000xl
Connected to a 3k, by his own admission, because he likes the sound.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me the 3k is the best sounding me on every production Ive heard on it but I've never used one. I'd consider it as my first mpc or the 2k or maybe even the 1k.
I agree with that.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Connected to a 3k, by his own admission, because he likes the sound.
did he ive never seen that article only things ive ever seen say 2kxl im not discrediting you just saying ive only seen the 2kxl
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The original 808! YES!
Old 26th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
what a minute....u put the midi on his 808....ok SSL...we need to talk. Cuz I need that on mine. I have the midi/sync box, but it has'nt been much help(or maybe I got it hooked up wrong).
Gotcha right here homie

Kenton - Retrofit kits
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

My 808 is connected to my 60. Blam!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie View Post
My 808 is connected to my 60. Blam!
Exactly how do you have it set up. Would love to hear more.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
did he ive never seen that article only things ive ever seen say 2kxl im not discrediting you just saying ive only seen the 2kxl
Yes, he did.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac
MPC 3000 what so cool about it? whats the big deal?

I have a chance to pick up a mpc 3000 for $1200. I already have a mpc 2000 and Pro Tools 002 should I get the MPC 3000? is it that much cooler than my 2000?
if so why?

Thanks,
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

doesnt the s3000 have the same converters as the mpc3000? if u already have an mpc, the rack counterparts to the mpc make a nice addition to your arsenal...granted the s3000 has more filters, a full on adsr envelope, and lfo's, which the mpc3000 doesnt have...but the sound, especially on drum hits, is essentially the same...as long as you dont use any filters on your sound besides the LP...the nice thing about the s3000 is they can be had for a pittance these days(usually less then 300bux), and its useful for other parts of your production besides beats...and that thousand you save could be put towards a whole lot of records.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

No, I think the s2/3000 is the same engine as the mpc2000. I.e., not the same at all as the mpc3000.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post

Thanks,
Mr. DJ of The Dungeon Family/Earthone 3 still uses his, but since I'm showing him Reason/VST's he's slowly leaving it alone. I still like how the 3k sounds though, but it's just so much work pulling drums onto the zip drive and then tracking them into pt's
Old 27th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
You need the midi kit. Basically it allows you to trigger the 808 as a sound module from your 3k,4k etc....

And you're right (though KL didn't level match when he tested them), he still like the sound of the 3k a bit more. But his test was also flawed. He took a 3k kit and converted it in the 4k.

But if you still consider that useful, you should know DJ Duck was there and his SP1200 sounded better than both of them.

But again, they didn't level match either.
Old 27th August 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
No, I think the s2/3000 is the same engine as the mpc2000. I.e., not the same at all as the mpc3000.

The MPC 3000 uses the sound engine of Akai's S3000 sampler 44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo sampling with 32-voice polyphony s Resonant digital filter + envelope per voice Large, great-feeling, velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads
for expressive drum programming Note Variation slider for programming a wide variety of real-time dynamics Extensive cut-and-paste sample editing Stereo Mix outputs + eight individual outputs Built-in floppy disk and SCSI interface Reads sample data from S1000 and S3000 series samplers
Source: Akai MPC 3000 features and info - Get MPC 3000 sounds for the Akai MPC 3000 today!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i use battery 3 now

have 2 3000's and a 4k. i like the 4k better but the 3k is kinda faster. but who wants that lil sample time? not me. \\

using logic and battery or any other sampler is the way to go. u dont even have to route tracks internally. just export all tracks to audio files, and if u have each drum sound on sepatate track you get everything tracks in one offline bounce!!

when i saw that i quit w the drum machine bull****. actually i havent used any of my modules lately. just a juno 106 on stronger and the rest is virual!!!

lookout for kanyes cd 9 11\\

i mixed 7 or 8 on there and played/co produced 3 or 4. stronger.good life. barry bonds. and drunk and hot girls. mike dean
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly how do you have it set up. Would love to hear more.
Midi Retrofit on the 808... connected to the MPC60. MPC60 controls the 808.

I have also sampled the 808 into the 60 as well... "MPC808" killa!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AON View Post
The MPC 3000 uses the sound engine of Akai's S3000 sampler 44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo sampling with 32-voice polyphony s Resonant digital filter + envelope per voice Large, great-feeling, velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads
for expressive drum programming Note Variation slider for programming a wide variety of real-time dynamics Extensive cut-and-paste sample editing Stereo Mix outputs + eight individual outputs Built-in floppy disk and SCSI interface Reads sample data from S1000 and S3000 series samplers
Source: Akai MPC 3000 features and info - Get MPC 3000 sounds for the Akai MPC 3000 today!
That would be incorrect. MPC 3000 was Roger Linn... After that, everything else was a diff. story. If the 3000 and 2000 are both using the same sound engine, they should sound accordingly, but they don't.

Unless, they don't include converters"when they say "sound engine". Which would make it irrelevant anyway for judging *sampler sound*.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search