The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC 3000 anybody still using it? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Addict

I have bought a 3000 before some months for 1120Euro, pritty cheap i think for this box.
And well i like it much better as working with battery IMHO, the sound has some special analoge character while it loses character with battery or other computer sequencers.
I'm very happy with it and will keep it a long time :D
I've read at many forums that the 4000 is a bit cleaner but doesn't have that "groove" what the 3000 is famous for and also not that tight bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
any producers still dig the sound and feel of the mpc 3000
if so why? whats cool about it?

Thanks,
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post

using logic and battery or any other sampler is the way to go. u dont even have to route tracks internally. just export all tracks to audio files, and if u have each drum sound on sepatate track you get everything tracks in one offline bounce!!

when i saw that i quit w the drum machine bull****. actually i havent used any of my modules lately.
Quote:

im about to send to forat and have repaired. and start using one again. along w logic.
all in the same thread?!?!

best proof that the mpc 3000 is a sweet piece.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
im about to send to forat and have repaired. and start using one again. along w logic.
mike,
did you decide battery wasnt it?

I have a 4k and a 3k.
I havent even turned on the 3k in a couple years. Mainly becuase i can load every drum sound i have into one session on the 4k.
the sound of the 2 arent that different to me. Its all about the break up when you get the master volume over 50% The drums start to break up and distort on both units.. Which i like. The individual outputs suck on both units and i never use em.
the difference to me is the feel of the sequencer. I like the 3k better and i cant explain why. tighter groove/swing?

I have however thought about using battery with the 3k and not loading sounds internally. seems like the way to go. however I use to live by logic and exs24 for my drums and on a whim i turned on the mp one day and started reprogramming the drums on a song. and the MP just killed everything logic could do. I have nice convertors so its wasnt that. and they were the exact same samples layered the same way.

ive never really put battery to the test. guess i should do that
anyone have opinions
Old 12th November 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post

The individual output suck on bith units and i would never use em.
Are you two tracking all of your drums since you don't like the individual outs?

D
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

not at all. i just hit solo and individually track each one.
I only need a 8 bar loop becuase i do all my arranging in protools.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

i wanted to buy battery and i still might but im just not crazy about the ni engine......i took the exact same samples, loaded them into my mpc(1000) and then in battery. it wasnt even close...the 1000 converters are very clean so its not like i have a 3000 either. i remember one deep 808 sample especially. battery gave it this annoying bell like quality that i hated. it wasnt like the bell that the sp1200 gives. it was a trebley kinda bell. no such thing on the the mpc. not to mention the feeling of the kick.....this was with no effects.....
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard View Post
i wanted to buy battery and i still might but im just not crazy about the ni engine......i took the exact same samples, loaded them into my mpc(1000) and then in battery. it wasnt even close...the 1000 converters are very clean so its not like i have a 3000 either. i remember one deep 808 sample especially. battery gave it this annoying bell like quality that i hated. it wasnt like the bell that the sp1200 gives. it was a trebley kinda bell. no such thing on the the mpc. not to mention the feeling of the kick.....this was with no effects.....
I get what you are saying. Battery has different playback resampling modes/resolutions, which dictate the quality of the output.

the fastest algo sounds "steppy", especially with long sustained sounds (like the 808 bass). it's useful for huge kits and huge polyphony, doesn't sound convincing though (as you've experienced yourself).

the best of the algorithms sounds really good though.

the best engine (highest quality modes) I've heard so far were FL Studio (yup, THAT FL Studio :D) and the Shortcircuit sampler. but both are for PC only.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

i agree with fl studio comment. it does sound nice with drums. ive even made a couple tracks with the demo version rewired to pt. on a side note, purity and ravity have a nice engine, however, i believe they are only sample playback......
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

oh, so you are on a PC? then here you go:

vemberaudio.se - shortcircuit

it's free and you won't find a sampler that sounds better than this.thumbsup
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

ill check it out...thanxxxxxxxxxx
Old 13th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm going to try a little experiment.....

I'll sequence a TR808 1/16 (no swing) pattern using the MPC3000 and track it into PT using my 192 with no pres or anything to add as little color as possible.

Then, I'll create the same pattern using Battery 3 with the same kit and Logic Pro and do a bounce.

I'll post both .wav files and let's compare!
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

well you have to export the tracks from logic and into protools.
becuase ot me protools sounds different from logic. even through the same convertors
Old 13th November 2007
DAH
Lives for gear

Sample the kit into MPC3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
I'm going to try a little experiment.....

I'll sequence a TR808 1/16 (no swing) pattern using the MPC3000 and track it into PT using my 192 with no pres or anything to add as little color as possible.

Then, I'll create the same pattern using Battery 3 with the same kit and Logic Pro and do a bounce.

I'll post both .wav files and let's compare!
Could you SAMPLE the kit to be used in the test into MPC3000, and then record the sequence/ In this case, we`ll have both swing difference (any?) and sound difference? However, if you gonna do this, trim the samples carefully).
Old 13th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
well you have to export the tracks from logic and into protools.
becuase ot me protools sounds different from logic. even through the same convertors
I agree, I'll make sure the final tracks end up in Protools to keep it consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Could you SAMPLE the kit to be used in the test into MPC3000, and then record the sequence/ In this case, we`ll have both swing difference (any?) and sound difference? However, if you gonna do this, trim the samples carefully).
The kit will be imported from an Akai CD ROM directly into the MPC and then imported directly into Battery. In both cases the sounds are loaded as data without any A/D conversion. The difference will be at the output stage of the MPC. I'll keep the sequences in 1/16 without any swing. This is just to determine sonic differences, not "feel".
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowave View Post
Its MPC3000 foe life here! Mine is fully modded with internal zip, 32 MB mem and Output Boost Modification...

Forat -- Service
Hey, sorry to resurrect a thread, but as u may have seen im striving to integrate the 3k to my current setup..

what do u think of the output boost??? is it useful?! does it affect the sonic character of whats going out?
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

MPC3000 + S900 + S2000 + S3000XL + MPC1000 (JJOS)

Yes I'm an akai fan boy
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hell yeah, but I use my MPC 5000 more as it has USB and Adat so transferring sounds is easier.

I've made many banks and libraries for my MPC 3000, so I simply program a tight groove and track to Pro tools or I use it to sequence VST's in my DAW.
Old 23rd January 2011
Here for the gear

its all workflow preference. If I'm just looping a sample I would go for the mpc 3k, but if I wanna get jiggy with it I really hate setting up muting/envelopes so I just stick to my maschine.
Old 24th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
have 2 3000's and a 4k. i like the 4k better but the 3k is kinda faster. but who wants that lil sample time? not me. \\

using logic and battery or any other sampler is the way to go. u dont even have to route tracks internally. just export all tracks to audio files, and if u have each drum sound on sepatate track you get everything tracks in one offline bounce!!

when i saw that i quit w the drum machine bull****. actually i havent used any of my modules lately. just a juno 106 on stronger and the rest is virual!!!

lookout for kanyes cd 9 11\\

i mixed 7 or 8 on there and played/co produced 3 or 4. stronger.good life. barry bonds. and drunk and hot girls. mike dean
cool
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

If interested I have a 3000 for sales in the GS classifieds in excellent condition.

Akai MPC-3000
Old 8th December 2011
SEED78
I'm still a junior on the 3000, but like it a lot - think it will be more important to me over time once I start midi'ing all my synths and my s950/ASR10 to it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search