The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC 3000 anybody still using it? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
That would be incorrect. MPC 3000 was Roger Linn... After that, everything else was a diff. story. If the 3000 and 2000 are both using the same sound engine, they should sound accordingly, but they don't.

Unless, they don't include converters"when they say "sound engine". Which would make it irrelevant anyway for judging *sampler sound*.
So you think akai made different converters for the samplers and the drum machines?

For years the company has created a rack mount that was similiar in function/engine to the sampler in the drum machine of the same era.

They didn't start a new mode with the MPC 4k/Z4, Z8. It's always been the Akai MO
Old 28th August 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
If the 3000 and 2000 are both using the same sound engine, they should sound accordingly, but they don't.
Not 3000 and 2000. 3000 and 3000!

Check this link too: http://www.synthman.com/akai/300117.html

"Uses the sound engine of Akai's S3000 sampler"
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
So you think akai made different converters for the samplers and the drum machines?

For years the company has created a rack mount that was similiar in function/engine to the sampler in the drum machine of the same era.

They didn't start a new mode with the MPC 4k/Z4, Z8. It's always been the Akai MO
No, I think you read our convo wrong... Yes, they have used the same converters... But not necessarily across numbers. For example, which sampler has the converters of the MPC 60? And which has the ones from the MPC 2000? :D
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

man im gettin all teary eyed, I thought I was never gonna see the day!

by the way, i need a quick easy way to fix the LCD on one of mine!

any suggestions?

has anyone ever replaced one on there own?

im pretty good with electroincs..

and my Prodeus 2000 LCD Screen is out too....
Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
No, I think you read our convo wrong... Yes, they have used the same converters... But not necessarily across numbers. For example, which sampler has the converters of the MPC 60? And which has the ones from the MPC 2000? :D
Ok, I feel u.

I think the 60's converters would have to be the s950 or s1000

I would guess they started to match numbers eventually down the line later. The 2k probably matches the MPC2k because they both came out around when Akai was scaling back and trying to create cheaper products with the outputs etc... as options.

Honestly several models probably have the same converters. I would guess akai had some company to source the converters. If we get the repair manuals, we could find out which sets matched up.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I feel u.

I think the 60's converters would have to be the s950 or s1000

I would guess they started to match numbers eventually down the line later. The 2k probably matches the MPC2k because they both came out around when Akai was scaling back and trying to create cheaper products with the outputs etc... as options.
Yup that's the thing... If the MPC2000 has the s2000's converters, then because the s2000 is basically just a modified version of the s3000, they should sound the same. And therefore, if the MPC 3000 has the s3000's convertors, it should sound just like the MPC2K. But since they don't, something has to be up with the MPC vs. Sampler numbering scheme.
Old 29th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Yup that's the thing... If the MPC2000 has the s2000's converters, then because the s2000 is basically just a modified version of the s3000, they should sound the same. And therefore, if the MPC 3000 has the s3000's convertors, it should sound just like the MPC2K. But since they don't, something has to be up with the MPC vs. Sampler numbering scheme.
But is the 2000 just a modified s3000?

But there's more to the sound than just the converter. I think if I wanted the sound of a 3k I'd be more apt to buy the s3000 than the s2000.

Honestly the s1000 sounds pretty good.

I wonder where the S5000 and 6000 fall in this mix.

LOL It would be funny if they never changed the converters on none of it.heh and we are believing these differences (Though the converter's sound is also determined by the analog section)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
But is the 2000 just a modified s3000?
Yeah, the s2000 came out in pretty close promity to the s3000xl/s3200xl... It's a stripped down 3000xl without a few extra features that raised the cost. Basically they took stuff that was standard on the 3000 and made them into optional expansions, so that people could get in at a lower entry price. You could almost call it an s3000 Light, haha

That's why you see it referred to in combination with the s3000 as s2000/s3000 a lot, because it's not really it's own beast. That's why it's natural that the MPC2000 would have the engine of the s3000, which was the true 'next step' in samplers.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Alright, I found a site that explains it... The s3000 and the s3000xl, apparently aren't related. According to this site, the s3000 is part of one family (s2800, s3000, s3200) and the s3000XL is part of another (s2000, s3000xl, s3200xl).

So the s2000 is a stripped down s3000xL... Thus the MPC 2000/2000XL has the engine of the s3000 *XL*, which is a totally different generation than the s3000.

Wtf.

That's the most confusing naming scheme I've ever heard.

Akai Frequently-Asked Questions
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

kinda off topic...but the most pimp thing about the 3k is the vga output option...its nice to not have to stare at the tiny screen....i wish akai wouldve put this option into their later mpc's and samplers....id kill to have it on my 2kxl(my emu sampler too for that matter).
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Alright, I found a site that explains it... The s3000 and the s3000xl, apparently aren't related. According to this site, the s3000 is part of one family (s2800, s3000, s3200) and the s3000XL is part of another (s2000, s3000xl, s3200xl).

So the s2000 is a stripped down s3000xL... Thus the MPC 2000/2000XL has the engine of the s3000 *XL*, which is a totally different generation than the s3000.

Wtf.

That's the most confusing naming scheme I've ever heard.

Akai Frequently-Asked Questions
Man akai's playing games. Notice how they keep alternating between drum machine screens that flip up and those that don't.

MPC60 flip
60II NO flip
3k Flip
2k NO flip
2kxl Flip.

And they took forever to make a rack sampler/drum machine combo with the 4k.

I used to use an s1000 with my 60II. And on the rack together they looked like one machine. I thought they'd do it with the 3k when they made the big s6000, but they waited till the 4k.

Don't think I'll buy another one no matter what they do. (Unless they do a lot LOL)
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Head

Does the S3000 load up MPC3000 sounds !

Can an Akai S-3000 load up MPC-3000 SNDS via SCSI ?
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Head

Its MPC3000 foe life here! Mine is fully modded with internal zip, 32 MB mem and Output Boost Modification...

Forat -- Service
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Maniac
Just had Forat Modd my MPC 3000

I just got the internal Zip +32 megs and replaced the display light.

It's good to know that pro's are still using them.

I always wanted one it swings harder than my MPC 2000

Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Maniac
Did the output boost make a difference?

I was thinking about getting that done to.
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Head

S = MP ?

Anyone know if an Akai S-3000 load up MPC-3000 SNDS via SCSI zip?
Old 28th October 2007
Gear Maniac

MPC3000.....cool to see you guys are still into it.

By far one of the dopest sampling drum machines imo.

I used mine for many many years....but now with computers and my need for portability...I've moved on to software.

After over a year of not using my 3000 and watching it collect dust in the corner of my studio...I finally decided to sell it!!

If anyone is interested...look in the buy and sell section of the site.
Old 29th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
MPC3000.....cool to see you guys are still into it.
By far one of the dopest sampling drum machines imo.
I used mine for many many years....but now with computers and my need for portability...I've moved on to software.

Which software have you been using to sample with? Which is the closest soundwise..?
Thanks...
Old 29th October 2007
Gear Addict

I KNOW THAT R.KELLY USES ON ON A LOT OF HIS PROJECTS.
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

yea? r kelly?

yea and he pisses on little kids too! **** r kelly and all his supporters!!!!
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
yea and he pisses on little kids too! **** r kelly and all his supporters!!!!
damn man thats kinda harsh dont you think. At 15 if I didn't want to get pissed on I would find a way not to get pissed on. She obviously liked it lets not pretend like she is a victim.
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

mpc3000

the 3000 has one of the best timing engines i have ever heard, i started out 14 years ago on a 4 tracker on an commodore amiga and then got a mpc 2000 for the timing and swing, the first thing i noticed was the wack thin ass sound quality, a few years later i upgraded to the 3000 and i noticed that the thing sounds exactly like what ever you put in it, you can't say that about most samplers, loads of advantages to the 3000 the shift notes earlier/later will drop the notes exactly where you set them upon input as opposed to shifting them after you have sequenced them, sounds like a small thing but for expermenting with feel it's invaluable. In the 2000 i would do a particular type of beat i would do where by all the hats are off time and then i would swing them in to time with the off kicks/snare this would mean that it would start to come in time about 64-68% 66% being spot on, the feel you can achieve is lose or super tight if you take it over 69% the end of the sequence would kind of miss a beat and return the to the first bar with what seems to be a real strong accent. If you try to to this on the 3000 it will function the same but with out the beat drop, a much better time engine for sure. I still to this day haven't heard any computer programs that sound as solid. I always thought KLC's beats didn't sound as live when he got his 4000 which has a higher pulse per quarter note resolution,although he still makes that sick ****, mad skill i guess .

maybe this roger linn dave smith drum machine will be as good or better??
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/...oomChik_lg.jpg

Last edited by terrytee; 29th October 2007 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: updated
Old 29th October 2007
Gear Addict

At first glance Dave's new drums machine seems interesting except for the small window...hoping
there is a vga/port out somewhere on the back. Being that Dave and another fellow invented MIDI back in 82, I would bet its very intuitive and musical much like everything else he's made.

For me I love creating grooves on drum machines as opposed to anything else, for one it gets me away from the computer but its hard to pick the best MPC without spending a fortune. The 2500 seems like a decent choice, and I noticed they are being discounted so maybe a new model is about to come out....
Old 30th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruition2k View Post
Which software have you been using to sample with? Which is the closest soundwise..?
Thanks...
Software wise....Battery 3. Sound wise....well.....nothing really sounds like a 3000. Having said that...it all depends what you do. All the drum sounds from my MPC are now in Battery 3 and with the help of some plugs and some tweaking.....I can't tell the difference...or I don't care about the difference!

Granted...the envelopes and the sound of the 3000 are amazing....but it's not like I can't make a hot beat without it. It's not about what you use..but how you use it...right!?
Old 31st October 2007
Here for the gear

Alot of people were using the MPC 3000le because of the output boost thta was on it. But you can get that on any mpc by going through forat.com. I like the feel of the 3000 but the newer mpc's sound good and plus there faster to work on.
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvoxp View Post
Alot of people were using the MPC 3000le because of the output boost thta was on it. But you can get that on any mpc by going through forat.com. I like the feel of the 3000 but the newer mpc's sound good and plus there faster to work on.

Does it have the Roger Linn Logo?
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

i got 2 broken 3k's

im about to send to forat and have repaired. and start using one again. along w logic.
Old 4th November 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowave View Post
Its MPC3KLE foe life here! Mine is fully modded with internal zip, 32 MB mem and Output Boost Modification...

Cosign. Plus I have Vailixi 3.50. mansell-labs-web

Regarding the 'sound':

There was a long-winded argument about this on the MPC forums.

Even though I retired my 2000 classic after I got my LE, I believe Mike Goins from Midicase who said that the MPC3000+MPC2000/xl all have the DAC's, same ADC's, and same DSP.
Old 4th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
im about to send to forat and have repaired. and start using one again. along w logic.
Just outta curiosity.....why???

With Logic Pro, Battery and all the other **** out there.....what do you feel the MPC can bring.

Timing is cool...but I haven't used swing for a while! and sound wise...if you got hot sounds to begin with (which I know you do) and you're good with your mixing (which I know you are) why f..... with the hassle of having to sync an MPC...then track it back into the software and be limited by the 32 megs etc....!??

Just wondering....
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

I had the 3000 and it was hella coo. I upgraded to the 4k and dont regret it either. The sample time & the sequencer resolution is so off the charts it's crazy. the 3000 engine is a tad better but I have miced up a rhodes, a whurli and a clavi e7 & multisampled @ 24/96 on the 4k. Way more versitile IMO!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search