The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo pitch shift on hooks PTLE Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Stereo pitch shift on hooks PTLE

Hello,
I'm a assitant engineer at a local studio here in central FL.

I did a tracking & mixing session for a group of local rappers and they've now commisioned my service for use at their home studio to try and save themselves some money. Rather than the $60/hr rate at the studio they're paying my $25/hr to work w/ them at their home.

They do have a pretty decent setup.

PTLE 7.3 , digi 002
Avalon 737
RODE NTK

bascially no plugins besides the digirack stuff and a few others i beleive came bundled w/ their system.. I saw some joemeek stuff(crap) and some McDSP LE stuff(filterbank le, ac1,compressorbank, etc.), as well as a mogo delay.

Anyways, at the studio(where i work), i mixed a song for them using a chamillionare track they brought in for reference. In his hooks where he's "singing" you can hear what appears to be a stereo pitch shift + fast delay.. maybe -6 +6 on each side. Warms the "singing" up really nice.

I recreated this very well by bussing the chorus vocal to a eventide eclipse w/ the magic air preset.

I'm wondering how to get a similar effect at their home setup. I know the digirack pitch shift sounds like utter crap, but thats all i have to work with.

I'm thinking copy the original hook onto two other tracks, maybe shift them up/down +6,-6 .. pan them around >20 <20 and leave the original around center at >5 .. then buss the pitchshifted tracks to a thick plate verb w/ some predelay and bus them to a fast stereo delay (20ms or so) also, panning the sends as well ?

I'm not looking for the nate-dog sound or any auto-tune retune speed tricks, i got those down pretty well.. this sound is much more subtle but still very noticeable. It's used on all chamillionare's hooks when he "sings". one of the members of this group i'm engineering for has a very similar sound when he "sings" his hooks.. it's that full, mid-range presence..

Any and all help would be greatly appriceated. This is what happens when you start to rely on those presets and the automatic delay compensation of PTHD ... pshhhhhhh

back to the roots!

thanks guys! - broll
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

That's a cool tip, but what I do is just triple the lead vocal with three separate takes. One center, and the other 2 hard panned L/R. You then can add slap delay on the hard panned if you like.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think the digi rack pitch shift sounds too bad for harmonies. As long as it's not the lead vocal it can work well. I use it a lot for putting a third or fifth on top of the main line.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

If it's just +/- 6 cents then there's no problem with using Digirack, I do that all the time. I don't know that particular song, but just copy/paste the original vocals and feed it to a delay, pitch shift them and have them at a very low volume for a great thickening effect. I pan them hard though...
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
I don't have the Chamillionaire album, but just a quick listen on his myspace page & iTunes and....

I'm not hearing any pitch-shifting. It sounds just like regular double/triple/quadruple/etc. tracking.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you're on PT 7+, use the Digidesign Time Shift audiosuite plug. It sounds better than the DigiRack Pitch Shift. Also, I pan each side hard when doing this.

IIRC, the Eventide Micropitch preset is +9/-9 with 18/24ms of delay.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search