The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how do you know if you have a good beat?? Plugin Bundles
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

how do you know if you have a good beat??

how do you guys know if a beat is good? i mostly do original tracks i rarely sample but its hard for me to tell whether or not its good enough for somebody to rap over,r there any methods used to test a beat before you try to shop them around too artist or labels?? plus mixing is a headache for me ,i luv making tracks but mixing i hate dealing with frequencies,eq ,compression and effects after i finsh making a beat i like dump it too protools its like im starting all over once i have to try and mix it!!! anyway just looking for some ways to test out if a track is good ?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADMANN View Post
how do you guys know if a beat is good?

When you find out 3 days after that the check cleared because the internet connection at your villa in the Bahamas has benn buggy.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

i show the rough version to my brother... if he likes it, i finish it. If not i trash it. Simple.

DONT EVER ASK ANYONE WHO MAKES MUSIC THEIR OPINION ON YOUR TRACK!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

if you dont know stop making beats
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
i show the rough version to my brother... if he likes it, i finish it. If not i trash it. Simple.

GOLDENthumbsup
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or find a real producer who can guide you through making a beat and he will know whether or not its good...

If someone doesnt really have an ear for music, but still knows how to play keyboard or other instruments, then they are best left to following the lead of an actual producer who knows how to arrange music, and who has an ear for what works and what doesnt.

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
how do you guys know if a beat is good? i mostly do original tracks i rarely sample but its hard for me to tell whether or not its good enough for somebody to rap over,r there any methods used to test a beat before you try to shop them around too artist or labels?? plus mixing is a headache for me ,i luv making tracks but mixing i hate dealing with frequencies,eq ,compression and effects after i finsh making a beat i like dump it too protools its like im starting all over once i have to try and mix it!!! anyway just looking for some ways to test out if a track is good ?
If it makes your skin crawl when u listen to it, then u know u got that fire. Also in the beat making process. Take a break and re evaluate when ur doing, step away and let the beat run while u doing something else. A lot of times, I will step away and go to do something else and i'll hear a different bassline from a different room and hear some frequency i didnt hear before.

Compare it back to some industry standard tracks. Doing that will either give you a reality check and let u know ur beat is wack or it will inspire you to finish ur track because u know its hot.

Please dont sit there with a loop for hours and hours. That kills the vibe and makes a man go mental. Actually arrange the track as you go and get a song idea down with a hook and everything from the beginning.

Finally, theres the next day test. Play that track the next day you'll know right away.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Or find a real producer who can guide you through making a beat and he will know whether or not its good...

If someone doesnt really have an ear for music, but still knows how to play keyboard or other instruments, then they are best left to following the lead of an actual producer who knows how to arrange music, and who has an ear for what works and what doesnt.

When think my beat is hot I got and...

I ask my grandma ,no bull****.
She should become an A&R...if she likes it you can be sure it's timeless lol.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

thx soundboy and petty cash thats all i was looking for just some advice and just to know how peeps check there beats !!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

The same way you know if you hear a good beat.

You gotta be as harsh on yourself as you'd be on anyone else's work. It aint hot because u did it. Be honest with youreself.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPhilly View Post
The same way you know if you hear a good beat.

You gotta be as harsh on yourself as you'd be on anyone else's work. It aint hot because u did it. Be honest with youreself.
Well in general I guess you are always way harder with yourself then with others. Or is this just me?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

if you DJ as well, the best thing you can do is play it out via serato or CD; if it keeps the party going or does what you expected it to do-- you're golden.

otherwise, if my 7-year-old cousin will dance to it, it's got some life. if not... back to the drawing board.
Old 23rd August 2007
TTB

I ask my Duaghter because She is Current Events right now when it comes to Hip Hop & R & B .... If she's diggin it right away, I know the Potential is there and I keep moving on it.

Also if you make a track and you get that Warm Fuzzy feeling from your chest to your head; to the point where you stand up out of your chair. then thats a good sign to me too...heh
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
Also if you make a track and you get that Warm Fuzzy feeling from your chest to your head; to the point where you stand up out of your chair. then thats a good sign to me too...heh
Hahaha Yeap.
I know that feeling ,it's like daaamn I#ve created a monster.
ITS LIVING!heh
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
thumbsup

I always feel out the wifey...But I don't let her opinion stop me if I'm feelin' it. When I have something that's above and beyond just "hot", my kids start getting wild and active. But the real indicator is if I'm bobbin' my head to it!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Truth be told, in the major rap game it's not really important. Remember, repetition is your friend, people thing it's catchy after having radio jam it down their throats every 35 minutes. As long as the recording is phat, the MC has "street cred" and the marketing is hype, maybe some fine women wearing very little in the video, you're in there.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
Truth be told, in the major rap game it's not really important. Remember, repetition is your friend, people thing it's catchy after having radio jam it down their throats every 35 minutes. As long as the recording is phat, the MC has "street cred" and the marketing is hype, maybe some fine women wearing very little in the video, you're in there.

I feel thats stupid, ignorant and misleading, but hey, maybe thats just me
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I usually dance
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

And than there is the obvious........if you can't mind flow to it than it isn't ready.

I am not a rapper and could never be one but I can feel the flow of my beats. I can sense the holes where the words belong and if those holes bounce along and come natural than I think the beat is ready.

I think a good rap beat is SUPER EASY to write to. I mean some rappers like the complex rhythms and electronic stutters et cetera because it is a challenge to write to.

But as far as commercially successful rap beats......I think the mind has to easilly grasp those pockets to drop the words into.

Anyone here know what I mean?

BTW most of what was said above is true too but I am just saying that this is at least a "method" to work with. PEACE
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's not just you..this guy spills straight caca in numerous posts. no disrespect intended of courseheh
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboykillin View Post
If it makes your skin crawl when u listen to it, then u know u got that fire. Also in the beat making process. Take a break and re evaluate when ur doing, step away and let the beat run while u doing something else. A lot of times, I will step away and go to do something else and i'll hear a different bassline from a different room and hear some frequency i didnt hear before.

Compare it back to some industry standard tracks. Doing that will either give you a reality check and let u know ur beat is wack or it will inspire you to finish ur track because u know its hot.

Please dont sit there with a loop for hours and hours. That kills the vibe and makes a man go mental. Actually arrange the track as you go and get a song idea down with a hook and everything from the beginning.

Finally, theres the next day test. Play that track the next day you'll know right away.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Dont know why it took me so long to do that but I was the one long loop guy and just got into creating from beginning to end. It's helped me alot with sequencing and transitions and what not.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
This site is slowly degrading... Wow... I suggest figuring that out by posting in futureproducers.com then after failing for a year or two to get placement and another 6 months of stalking, throw in getting one of ur beats jacked and a dash of getting placement then waiting another 10 months before getting another one THEN u can post questions that would validate members here coming together discussing and answering... sorry im just saying who asks "how do u know if ur beats are good? " Seriously
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And then you turned on BET, or checked your billboard top rap charts, and reality came crashing down on you. You know the best producers and MC's aren't represented there, it's mostly fluffy sellout crap. Mags like the Source sell 1-page ads to artists so wack they won't even review. Nas is the one who said hip hop is dead, not me. Don't kill the messenger!tutt
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
And then you turned on BET, or checked your billboard top rap charts, and reality came crashing down on you. You know the best producers and MC's aren't represented there, it's mostly fluffy sellout crap. Mags like the Source sell 1-page ads to artists so wack they won't even review. Nas is the one who said hip hop is dead, not me. Don't kill the messenger!tutt

Thats not what you said, you said theres a formula to a hit song, an mc "with street cred" "phat production"(whatever the fvck that means) and the song jammin on the radio with some "hype" behind, if thats all it took I would have(along with a ton of others)made millions already, didnt you see CB4? It was a comedy not a documentary.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I play it in the studio a few days later and everybody wants to buy it. "I got money right now, how much do you want for it?"

Thats true talk.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search