The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which vocal chain? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Which vocal chain?

Hey guys. I just wanna know you guys opinion on to vocal chain set ups I have. Which one would sound better?

1) Gefell M92.1 < Avalon 737sp with Babyface Mod(for Preamp, Compression and EQ) < Cranesong Hedd 192 < Protools HD

OR

2) Gefell M92.1 < Avalon 737sp(just for preamp) < Distressor < Lil Freq < Hedd 192< Protools HD

What ya think?
Old 22nd August 2007
Well, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
In my short lived life I have discovered that in the highly subjective realm of the human audible spectrum, there is no better or worse, there is only DIFFERENT!!!!<o:p></o:p>
With both setups, you are in the right direction for a very cool Hip-hop vocal. The Compressor on the 737 is great; however it is not as extensive or as flexible as the Distressor. You will be able to reach a number of textures with the Distressor. Most of the time I will listen to the mic and pre DRY, and get the best possible tone for that particular artist. Once I have found the "sound", I will insert a compressor into the signal pass. <o:p></o:p>
With the Distressor, I like to use the 10:1 (opto) ratio for vocals with a moderate attack and release. I will set the input gain so that there will never be more than 10 dB gain reduction, when the artist gets more aggressive, the EL8 can maintain the tone of the mic-pre, even when crushing upwards of 10 dB! I will also variably tune the attack and release with my ear as I listen to the performance. <o:p></o:p>
I can make the compressor grab and let go at the right time without the pumping and breathing effect that is more often than not, associated with a bad compression circuit. Once I have dynamically shaped the vocal, I will use an equalizer to "further enhance the subtleties of the performance". <o:p></o:p>
Most of the time, I use an equalizer to achieve a tone or a "sound" before hitting compression, however, any equalization that occurs before compression, can drastically change the how the compressor reacts. <o:p></o:p>
It might be cool to use the 737's amazingly natural sounding EQ, to tweeze and sculpt the sound of the microphone to your liking. Once the sound is reached, it might be benefit to have the Distressor and the Lil Freq handy for that final touch!<o:p></o:p>
Peace<o:p></o:p>
Mixwell<o:p></o:p>
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

2) Gefell M92.1 < Avalon 737sp(just for preamp) < Distressor < Lil Freq < Hedd 192< Protools HD. Use the eq on the 737 to give a lil high freq .boost
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

From a technical standpoint, I would go with scenario #1 just based on less gear in the signal chain.

Personally, I would pick #1 because I'm not into tracking with a Distressor - at all.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
From a technical standpoint, I would go with scenario #1 just based on less gear in the signal chain.

Personally, I would pick #1 because I'm not into tracking with a Distressor - at all.
I knew u would Dizzle. I know how u feel bout that Avalon
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes I'm an advocate of the 737, but that doesn't have much bearing in your question. I just prefer to use less in my path and I wouldn't normally track with a Distressor.

FWIW, I'll take a 1073 -> 1176 any day over a 737. Put a 67 in front of that and it's untouchable!
Old 22nd August 2007

I prefer no EQ when tracking and using a mic that suits the voice. Makes the job easier.

I would probably just use the 737 and invest in a couple more mics to cover all of your bases.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I prefer no EQ when tracking and using a mic that suits the voice. Makes the job easier.

I would probably just use the 737 and invest in a couple more mics to cover all of your bases.
Yo T...which mics do you suggest? And what about the one that sounds like the Sony C800?
Old 23rd August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Yo T...which mics do you suggest? And what about the one that sounds like the Sony C800?
It sounds fabulous... that would definitely be a good option for a different flavor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search