The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I LIKE TRACKING INDIVIDUAL BUT.... Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2007
I LIKE TRACKING INDIVIDUAL BUT....

I currently use Logic Express 7 with my Motu 828. I run my Akai MPC 2000xl into inputs 3-4, Proteus PK-6 into inputs 5-6, Roland Synth to inputs 7-8. Now i normally make my beat then track the individual sounds to thier own audio tracks. Things are fine and sound good once all the tracks are in. I usually buss groups to EQ plug-ins to save CPU(i have a real fast I-MAC G5 but you know how things can slowly take its toll on a computer's CPU). I would buss drums to thier own EQ, Melody to thier own EQ, Vocals thier own EQ etc..and this works fine and sounds good to me. My question is by doing this as my recording method(at least with the music) should i spend the time tracking the individual parts in one by one or should i just get the levels, effects, etc right in the gear and just track the individual "GEAR" into Logic since im doing group buss EQ'ing anyway. Im mostly concerned about me making "changes" like pattern changes etc..later to the beat. I would love to keep the beat midi as long a possible so those changes and remixes can be made. I produce mostly Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B but latley Im getting into making "Dance" music which is more uptempo and alot more going on. I just cant see them sitting there tracking each sound one by one, plus ALL the changes, change-ups, breakdowns, etc going on. My theory is that ALL that is midi and IF they are tracking anything its the "GEAR" itself that turning into audio...i dunno, just my assumtion
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

what kind of changes are you talking about?? The only type of change that would really benefit from having EVERYTHING midi would be a tempo or key change... but at some point, your gonna have to pick a key and a tempo. and your gonna wanna mix the thing properly, so your gonna have to track individual elements sooner or later... not to mention that, for me at least, the real editing fun starts once the part becomes audio anyway...i only use midi to play parts i couldnt play live
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Im mostly concerned about me making "changes" like pattern changes etc..later to the beat.
Here's what I do: I keep everything in the basic form which is typically lots of MIDI and some recorded parts. I'll do an instrumental mix and save everything. Then when I'm working with an artist, we'll work from that instrumental for songwriting and I have the opportunity to go back and change stuff in my DAW with the midi or other parts. Probably 90% of the time there is some kind of change I need to make. Then we track vocals to the song with MIDI chasing. It's generally not until AFTER we've tracked vocals that I will then go back and print the MIDI individually into the computer (and yes, each individual sound gets it's own track). The reason is that sometimes we might spontaniously do something that will require a music change - or sometimes what we planned didn't work well and we changed a vocal and it causes me to want to make a music change. So for those reasons, anything MIDI tends to get tracked after vocals are tracked. In fact, I just had a singer fly into town and we tracked vocals for a song Monday and yesterday. Know what I gotta do this morning? Yup, track all the MIDI parts in!
Old 22nd August 2007
So what your saying is that you keep everything midi up to the point to where the song is almost complete then you print it as audio? i like that idea but i worry so much when it comes to saving things as midi. im scared the beat wont come back up the same way.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why not do both? Mute your midi tracks after printing and/or make sysex dumps of your gear programs. I do this all the time with Logic by recording the sysex data between bar zero and one. Print the track and mute it then hide it. All that other stuff you mentioned about bussing to eq's etc made my head spin so
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
So what your saying is that you keep everything midi up to the point to where the song is almost complete then you print it as audio? i like that idea but i worry so much when it comes to saving things as midi. im scared the beat wont come back up the same way.
Yes. I've never had a problem with everything coming back and I've got a lot of records out there. I keep a notepad in my DAW with how keyboards are routed and mixer settings, etc. And I save all the sampler and keyboard sounds (they have disk drives, but if they didn't I'd sysex dump them). In FACT, on cheap projects I don't even bother to print the MIDI - just run it live. But this might be tough for some guys these days who are all ITB. I have an analog mixer and outboard processors and stuff, so I don't necessarily need to track something to EQ it and add reverb or compress it or whatever. I see guys who basically only have a keyboard, computer, speakers, and a mouse - won't work that well for those folks because you can't get any kind of decent mix just at the midi level.

The only danger is a keyboard dying! Yeah, I lose sleep on that. But let's be realistic here:

a) on any halfway serious record (which is basically ALL of them), I'm goign to have to make changes to the MIDI and it's going to suck if I can't. This is slightly less of a problem with rap, but with r&b stuff you can't really get away with that.

b) I don't have enough time to sit there doing a quality tracking job on EVERY DAMN BEAT I MAKE especially when most of them don't get turned into actual records.

c) If a keyboard really dies and I can't replace it with the same classic box, well... I make all my sounds and I'm a good sound programmer so I can make a very similar sound using a different keyboard if I really need to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search