The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
After you've done that, read this.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

After you've done that, read this.

Dare Obasanjo aka Carnage4Life - The Virtue of Closed Platforms: Album Sales Slump while Ringtone Sales Soar

Here's a link to an earlier article than the Time magazine one which seems to suggest lazy research(or perhaps wishful thinking) on the part of the Time journalist.
If you are going to lift another writers' work, then a least a complete picture would be courteous!!

Inclusion of ringtones sales seem to suggest a much healthier genre.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

i've been saying it for awhile...everyone is crying wolf at slumping sales numbers, yet thats only hard copy CD sales...ringtones and digital music sales are through the roof. overall sales if you take into account these formats are actually up. and i could be wrong about this, but i think artists make more money off selling a ringtone than they do a CD.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
i've been saying it for awhile...everyone is crying wolf at slumping sales numbers, yet thats only hard copy CD sales...ringtones and digital music sales are through the roof. overall sales if you take into account these formats are actually up. and i could be wrong about this, but i think artists make more money off selling a ringtone than they do a CD.
Yeah Artists do make more money. But how many ringtones are we talking about.

The record biz is a $12Billion business. Ringtones account for about 5% of this. ($600 Million)

OF course for the few that sell alot of ringtones, as an artist you'll make more than you'd make with a record. But it's not the savior of the decline of the industry.

And of course by next year every phone known to man will probably make its own ringtones (It will help to sell phones. Do you think phone companies care more about our income streams or theirs?)
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

All I know is, supposedly the record industry did fine last year... Not in terms of CD sales specifically, but just overall. But perpetuating the starvation myth allows them to screw artists into more lopsided deals.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
All I know is, supposedly the record industry did fine last year... Not in terms of CD sales specifically, but just overall. But perpetuating the starvation myth allows them to screw artists into more lopsided deals.

Sounds like a conspiracy. You could be on to something.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
OK let's do the math again. 12 Billion dollar industry gains 5% (600 million) with Ringtones.

And record sales fall by what%.

For the Record 1.8 million ringtones is equivalent to about 250k in CD sales money wise (OF course we could argue how much more the artist gets from ringtones, but I'm speaking overall).

How many ringtones do you think it takes to make up for the slumping sales?

And with the prospect of phones making their own ringtones do you really think this is the "KEY"?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search