The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my mic, and the vocals that are recorded by it. Audio Interfaces
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

my mic, and the vocals that are recorded by it.

first and foremost; my 'setup' is no milliondollar recording studio. im no engineer, jus a 18 year old beat maker who owns a microphone. all i got is a akg perception 100, a tube mp preamp, and an audiophile usb..

now let me be blunt. the quality is buns. i need help. if someone wants to analyze a acapella verse (courtesy of my older brother) and help me figure out how to my quality sound better, (be it best equilization settings, compression settings, all that fancy stuff) or even redirect me to some tutorials online, itd be really appreciated. and also if u could explain the basics of recording (ie, how far the vocalist should be from the mic, how vocals are blended into the beat) i jus wanna make good quality music! and im sure yall understand! and prolly been where im at!

zSHARE - track 8 recording 1.mp3
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

where are you recording at? too close to the mic, too loud
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Good things to read

These articles are well written and will help you get
started:

Recording Vocals In The Computer Studio

Recording Lead Vocals

Vocal Recording & Production Masterclass

Top Engineers on Recording Rich Vocals

Good luck!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

From the reviews I've read, it sounds like owners of that mic are quite happy with it. I say that because I was going to suggest a better mic, but it may not be the problem.
It sounds like the mic might not be positioned correctly. Like maybe you're singing off axis, and not into the front of the mic.
Also, it sounds like you're running the input of your tube mp too hot. There's distortion when you emphasize words (like, "prove" and "move").
Also, the lack of hi-frequency might be from recording at a low sample rate (if your gear has that option). Make sure you're recording at a sample rate of at least 44.1kHz.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged because your tracks don't sound like what you hear on the radio or on CD. Recording is a craft and an art. It takes a lot of time, a lot of experimenting, a lot of trial and error, and a lot of practice to make things sound the way you want them to.

Check out the articles lazzaro posted, and good luck!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks yall i really appreciate the responses. but im sure i got the mic positioned correctly. making sure vocals are directed towards the mic. my input is set at 44.1... i dont need my quality to be perfect. from what I hear personally i think balance between hi and lo frequencies is off... but when i try to equalize the sound to fix it, i cant get it right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search