The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC or Computer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

MPC or Computer

For a couple years, I have been using Ableton and a MIDI keyboard for production. I used to use an Ensoniq 16+ for drums, etc. I am wondering if the Hip Hop cats on here still think the MPC is the way to go or are most people using midi controllers and sw.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

My cat can't figure out the software at all but definitely likes steppin' on the MPC pads. Take from it what you will.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

do you like hitting pads or clicking mouse?

IMO the computer is more flexible 'visual', give quick results. It's all about what you like to work with and how creative you feel. Don't forget, limitations give grand scope for creativity so you may go for the MPC. Don't go for something just because X famous person used it. MPC's have loads of fame and loads of people buying it because of the fame.

Why use a hammer and nails because Jesus used it when binford make a double action pump guned, super duper chain 10000gigawhat flux capacitor saw? ho ho ho....

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

You can always use the MP to trigger software. Just a thought...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

get a pad controller and something like RMX and/or Battery and take advantage of the best of both worlds.
Even the signature timing of the old MPCs are available as MIDIfiles on the net so you can quantize your performances in the computer using these templates if you want that MPC feel.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

if you're already into live, just learn to use this guy's templates.....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...into-live.html

thats better than any MPC to me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
Even the signature timing of the old MPCs are available as MIDIfiles on the net
where!!!! i just sold my mp and need that.
blessings
Old 22nd August 2007
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

its all preference...... i love my hardware and my workflow is quicker on my mpc than any comp program but thats only because im not used to software .......... personally id stick with what you know and build off that ......
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Have both handy.....

Digital is all quick and dandy, but the analog sound of the MPC can help to make your drums sound fatter going into the DAW.

I sometimes sample drums using one of my units, and dump the one shots into the computer for arranging the drum patterns using Redrum, Battery or Guru.
That way I get the best of both worlds. I get to have my drums sounding fatter, but I can speed up my workflow by not having to go back and forth from the MPC and the computer keyboard and mouse. I got my Korg PadKontrol right there ready for action under the desk on a custom pull out shelf, where the MPC could not fit tutt.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for computer. More sonic possibilities imo.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

why does it have to be one or the other? You could always buy a mpc and sequence it in live. Yes a mpd or trigger finger would accomplish the same thing but for me id rather have a dedicated sampler with all of my sounds loaded and saved onboard and sequence and record to the computer.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

this is gear sluts use both, you'll enjoy the new feel in both of them
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Computer all day.. Chain a Triton Rack, RM1x, Kontak 2, Trilogy together using Sonar's sequencer wins. Better a/d. More possibilities.

Sonar sequencer > MPC's
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The MPC 1000 & Reason is the **** use both via midi
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

yeah i don't get why people always think its one thing or the other...i use a mpc 4k slaved to logic 7, with an m3 and other boards. sometimes i sequence everything in the mpc, other times i'll keep everything in guru,kontakt, and logic, and most of the time i use a combo of the mp and logic's sequencer. generally when i trigger external racks or midi synths i try to sequence those parts on the mpc because it has far better external midi timing than usb midi interfaces.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante310 View Post
yeah i don't get why people always think its one thing or the other...i use a mpc 4k slaved to logic 7, with an m3 and other boards. sometimes i sequence everything in the mpc, other times i'll keep everything in guru,kontakt, and logic, and most of the time i use a combo of the mp and logic's sequencer. generally when i trigger external racks or midi synths i try to sequence those parts on the mpc because it has far better external midi timing than usb midi interfaces.
I never understood that either. I use Reason along with my juno 2 and my esq1. I have them all sync'd together and I sequence on the esq. great setup tho I am still learning the ESQ-1 itself.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict
The analog sound people talk about is when your tracking your mpc into the computer your going through the convertors a second time.
You could record your computer into another computer, and get the same results.
No one really does this though.

The mpc is a crappy machine to buy for getting a warm sound though.
The other side of the pond says it's very clear, and transparent.

I could always eaily get the warmth I wanted out of my Zoom sampletrak that my mpc could never deliver.

warmth is more about mixing than anything though. Nothing wrong with a flat sampler like an mpc since it's easier to add warmth than to take it out later.
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

I use it all!!!

I use both. I have the mpc sequencing samples in Reason via midi in Pro Tools. My MPC also controls my analog drum machine. An 808 w/ midi retrofit.
I love the feeling of sequencing with the mpc but can't imagine giving up the options of a computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search