The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
buying a bass guitar
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

buying a bass guitar

Anybody have any suggestions as to what kinda bass guitars are good out there ? I would say i'm looking for a electric one. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20th August 2007
I would recommend a Fender P-Pass,

I have been in the market for a Hofner,

You know that warm and fuzzy thing that was all over Beatles records.

peace
mixwell

p.s, if this is really panik from the molemen,

keep making those underground bangers!!!!!

peace
mixwell
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I just bought an american deluxe jazz bass. Sounds great so far. Also, it's easier to play than a P-bass if you dont have giant hands. Hofner if you can afford it..
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
American Fender J or P Bass with the original pickups. No active pickups. Enjoy.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Fender P and J passes (American) record very well.

In the $3000 price range (without mother of pearl inlays, etc.)
A killer 5 string with similar sound and better playing ability is the F-Bass BN-5. It has active, passive, single and double pickup selection. The passive mode pickups in single coil mode record REALLY well. And the low B has a GREAT tone to it. This is the best bass I played in Los Angeles, so I bought one.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
American Fender J or P Bass with the original pickups. No active pickups. Enjoy.

Active Musicman StringRay basses tend to sound better to my ears.

Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

What's your price range?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Man View Post
Active Musicman StringRay basses tend to sound better to my ears.

Great basses, but nothing sits in a mix like a Fender to me. Also, if the poster is newer to recording bass, I think a passive is more forgiving when it comes to the mixdown.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

On the mid to low end side I'd recommend a Fender Jazz 24 or the Fender Marcus Miller V. I would stay away from the Music Man's , UNLESS you can get your hands on a old Sabre from about 1988 - 92 or s0. Actually, if they made that bass in a 5 string, that would be my first choice handsdown.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Heavy basses are always a deal breaker for me.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

im only a nuub to bass, and i picked myself up a fender p bass and a half decent DI to get started..thou i use plug ins for the bass aswell.

can anyone recemmond the next step up? good fx?
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would recommend a Fender P-Pass,

p.s, if this is really panik from the molemen,

keep making those underground bangers!!!!!

peace
mixwell
Yeah that's me , thanks man.

& Thanks to everybody for their help so far.

My price range is $500 $1,000
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I got the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, it goes for $799 new. The thing kicks ass! and the neck is as skinny as a crackheads so its real easy to play.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

is a 1983 P-Bass (Japanese) a good deal for $450??
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Im not sure about the older japanese models, but the newer ones are definately great guitars, they can definately compete with some of the american models.

the price seems pretty good as long as its in good shape.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Do you already play bass? If so, the above suggestions are good.

If you're going to start playing bass, you might also want to consider an acoustic/electric (not as cool as the above-mentioned for laying down tracks, but they're good to play around with and come up with nice basslines if an idea comes to mind). I've got an Ibanez AEB10 which to me, is real fun to pick up and play. The sound is pretty good for the price.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Im not sure about the older japanese models, but the newer ones are definately great guitars, they can definately compete with some of the american models.

the price seems pretty good as long as its in good shape.
thanks Chaotic...

apologies for jumpin' on your post Panik-Molemen, but you read my mind with your initial question..
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great basses, but nothing sits in a mix like a Fender to me. Also, if the poster is newer to recording bass, I think a passive is more forgiving when it comes to the mixdown.

So you're telling me you have not heard any good mixes with a Stingray used as the Bass Guitar?? I have. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that recording bass with a Sting Ray sonically gives you more options.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I got the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, it goes for $799 new. The thing kicks ass! and the neck is as skinny as a crackheads so its real easy to play.
Only with Geddy Lee Basses is the Maple necks. I'm not a big fan of maple necks on Basses.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
There are some great old japanese fenders around. Some were made for export and some were made for the Japanese market. You want one made for the Japanese market. (Fender didn't want the export models to be too competitive).
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Man View Post
So you're telling me you have not heard any good mixes with a Stingray used as the Bass Guitar?? I have. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that recording bass with a Sting Ray sonically gives you more options.
Did I say that? No..I said a Fender sits in the mix better especially if you are new to tracking basses.

I have been a professional bass player since I was 18 (in the rap arena also), so I'm not just throwing **** at the wall here..it's my personal experience. If I am going to go active, I would skip the Stingray (I was endorsed by EBalll BTW) and go straight to the Sadowski...which is out of his range.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
There are some great old japanese fenders around. Some were made for export and some were made for the Japanese market. You want one made for the Japanese market. (Fender didn't want the export models to be too competitive).
Is there a way you can tell which is which??
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
You gotta play them and you will know. Never buy a Fender bass w/out playing it first.

For me, that goes with any guitar..but especially with a Fender.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
Sorry I forgot to check the thread. Anyway, I'm no expert, and there will always be exceptions etc, but from what I gather they generally only use alder on the local market models, and used cheaper options on the export models. Whenever I'm looking at this sort of thing I always just send a link to my brother and he's pretty quick to notice all sorts of details I would never think of. I just get too confused by all the subtle details.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
You gotta play them and you will know. Never buy a Fender bass w/out playing it first.

For me, that goes with any guitar..but especially with a Fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
Sorry I forgot to check the thread. Anyway, I'm no expert, and there will always be exceptions etc, but from what I gather they generally only use alder on the local market models, and used cheaper options on the export models. Whenever I'm looking at this sort of thing I always just send a link to my brother and he's pretty quick to notice all sorts of details I would never think of. I just get too confused by all the subtle details.
thanks for the tips...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would say at least check out a Gibson RD Artist if you can find one.

I love this bass. It's been in my dreams for the last few days. Haha. I've been wanting to pick one up solely to have it around the studio for other guys. It's just an amazing sounding bass to me. YMMV though.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search