The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro but Cheap Vocal chain used on upcoming major release Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Pro but Cheap Vocal chain used on upcoming major release

at homie's spot. about 40k worth of room. To prove a point he pulls up the following to do this project.

1. blueberry mic - he bought for $675 new last week (dont know why blue mics prices have dropped so drastically)

2. great river pre $1100 new

3. a really nice compressor - seen these anywhere from $100 used to $175 new

On mix in PT HD he used urs fulltec +2 at about 250hz and digi eq for low cut at 85hz and BOOOM! we was good to go.

very impressed with blueberry/great river combo. really nice comp just tamed and stayed out of the way.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethdk View Post
at homie's spot. about 40k worth of room. To prove a point he pulls up the following to do this project.

1. blueberry mic - he bought for $675 new last week (dont know why blue mics prices have dropped so drastically)

2. great river pre $1100 new

3. a really nice compressor - seen these anywhere from $100 used to $175 new

On mix in PT HD he used urs fulltec +2 at about 250hz and digi eq for low cut at 85hz and BOOOM! we was good to go.

very impressed with blueberry/great river combo. really nice comp just tamed and stayed out of the way.
Not surprised to hear that at all....

The really nice compressor does what its known for, which is being able to apply compression in a very transparent way (especially in super nice mode), which is great if you are not looking to add more color. The unit is cheap but still does an acceptable job.

As for the mic, blue mics are usually generally accepted for use within pro studies, especially ones dealing with urban music, at least from as far as I have seen.

The Great River is......well.....Great! and thats all that needs to be said about that.

So in actuality, thats a pretty solid chain, for project studios and pro studios alike. As long as you have a great guy mixing the project, you can get great competitive results out of that effort.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

I pretty much have that exact vocal chain as well.

Blue Blueberry-> GR MEQ-1NV (mic pre & eq together) -> RNLA. I have been wanting to get a CraneSong Trakker but haven't pulled the trigger. I have been very pleased with the results. Though, the Blue Blueberry can get very sibilant at times.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
I pretty much have that exact vocal chain as well.

Blue Blueberry-> GR MEQ-1NV (mic pre & eq together) -> RNLA. I have been wanting to get a CraneSong Trakker but haven't pulled the trigger. I have been very pleased with the results. Though, the Blue Blueberry can get very sibilant at times.

i'm looking to get this chain for travel. get real nervous out there when i got my sony or u87. whats the rnla like in comparison to the rnc for vocals?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

I figure the compressor is a DBX160
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think that his chain is that "cheap". The RNC is quality (for tracking anyway) and the Blueberry is very capable of producing great vocal tones. Shobiz is right about the sibilance though...Usually I'll sidechain around 5k on the Avalon going to tape for that mic.

But yeah, I'd definitely take the Blueberry on the road before a C800 or 87!
Old 20th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
I don't think that his chain is that "cheap". The RNC is quality (for tracking anyway) and the Blueberry is very capable of producing great vocal tones. Shobiz is right about the sibilance though...Usually I'll sidechain around 5k on the Avalon going to tape for that mic.

Why not just get a 4060. I pick them over 87's pretty often.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

i'd definitely be paranoid taking a c800 on the road. seems like that sucker breaks if you look at it the wrong way.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm looking to get this chain for travel. get real nervous out there when i got my sony or u87. whats the rnla like in comparison to the rnc for vocals?
Its more colorful sounding, and will impart more character into the vocal chain. The RNC is very transparent. So basically those two are complete opposites.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
I'd take an U87 on the road, no worries about that. But never, ever, ever would I take a C800G any farther than the front door of the studio to get some fresh air...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I'd take an U87 on the road, no worries about that. But never, ever, ever would I take a C800G any farther than the front door of the studio to get some fresh air...
it'd be nice if i could buy a 2nd C800G JUST for the road!! hahaha
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have the BlueBerry!
Can you put a clip of your vocals only with the Great River?
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
What about a mic that sounds like a C800G, but was in the $1k-$1.5k range?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
???

comparison clips

if true they will sell like hotcakes?
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
???

comparison clips

if true they will sell like hotcakes?
I can post some clips later this week if people are interested... Maybe a 3 mic shootout in my studio.... A C800G and the new C800G style mic... and another mic. Give people the answers ahead of time in an encrypted PDF and see what people think. Then after a few days give people the password.... could be fun... pick the C800G. heh

Sound like a good idea?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can post some clips later this week if people are interested... Maybe a 3 mic shootout in my studio.... A C800G and the new C800G style mic... and another mic. Give people the answers ahead of time in an encrypted PDF and see what people think. Then after a few days give people the password.... could be fun... pick the C800G. heh

Sound like a good idea?
i'm in. but i am skeptical even though the sony is way overpriced today. got mine for $4k years ago

very hard to decide on a mic with just one voice. can u do a few stacks as well?
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
i'm in. but i am skeptical even though the sony is way overpriced today. got mine for $4k years ago

very hard to decide on a mic with just one voice. can u do a few stacks as well?
When I test mics I usually stack the vocal three times... I find it gives me the best representation of the mics qualities.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm so glad i sold my c800g Honestly i think it works for rap, but i also think their are plenty other mics much cheaper that can get the job done for rap. I think the c800g is great for strong vocals for pop or rnb. but other than that i found the c800g to be waaay to sensitive and very heavy in the upper frq range. Great mic but def way way over priced, esp compared to whats out there for mics these days. I can see that mic going for $7k in the mid 90's when they did'nt have the selection of mics they have now. But for 7K now, nah i'll buy 4 mics that will work for everything at that price. It was nice to own, but also nice to have gotten rid of.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Sound like a good idea?
There will be a dedicated thread for this mic shoutout, right Tony? Let as know!
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynofi View Post
There will be a dedicated thread for this mic shoutout, right Tony? Let as know!
Makes sense to me. I guess it should have it's own thread.
Old 20th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:

Sound like a good idea?
Does the mic actually exist?

Or is it like the 2 buss processor/DI and DVD?heh
Old 20th August 2007
Shobiz,
You got a clip of the RNLA? I'd like to hear it because I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy one. I was just going to jump in...
My chain is Blue Baby Bottle->RNP->?
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Does the mic actually exist?

Or is it like the 2 buss processor/DI and DVD?heh
Ha! This thing actually exists... Funny you bring up the 2 buss processor... it exists, too... the guys have got the schematics and are sorting out the PCB's now. It is being revived from the dead... finally!.... although the design has morphed into something a little different. I thought it was never going to see the light but things are looking good. Hopefully by the end of the year everything I've been talking about will be finished.. I'm working on some other things too. We've already seen some of my ideas turn into product, like the GTQC and a few other things I don't take credit for.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
We've already seen some of my ideas turn into product, like the GTQC
I'm seriously thinking about copping one of those joints.
Old 20th August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Ha! This thing actually exists... Funny you bring up the 2 buss processor... it exists, too... the guys have got the schematics and are sorting out the PCB's now. It is being revived from the dead... finally!.... although the design has morphed into something a little different. I thought it was never going to see the light but things are looking good. Hopefully by the end of the year everything I've been talking about will be finished.. I'm working on some other things too. We've already seen some of my ideas turn into product, like the GTQC and a few other things I don't take credit for.
Cool, as soon as you get it I'll try one. (I thought it was a good idea)thumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sr. View Post
Shobiz,
You got a clip of the RNLA? I'd like to hear it because I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy one. I was just going to jump in...
My chain is Blue Baby Bottle->RNP->?
Hey. This is gearslutz! Get both.
They are so cheap and you will have two colors.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
I'm so glad i sold my c800g Honestly i think it works for rap, but i also think their are plenty other mics much cheaper that can get the job done for rap.
thats all good & I feel u. If i was just workin on my own projects with my own artists then it will probably just be u87 all the time. I get what i want out of that. BUT... i work with alot of established artists who r very finicky about the chains they use to record vocals. They go for the tried and true chains they have always used and r very reluctant to change their formula. certain established rappers wont do anything unless its a c800g to 1073 or u87 to 737
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe that someone has to 'prove' that a blue mic and a GR pre can be used on a 'major' album. Umm, yea? Duh. And Metallica released Saint Anger too. You can do anything you want on a major release. A lot of artists end up using takes from their SM58s as vocal mics.

The blue mics and GR is fine. Anyone that feels that you need a 12K USD vocal chain to get a decent sound is nuts.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that I definitely wouldn't mind taking on the road.
Where I stop is at any items that cost over 4 or 5k. There is just way too much money involved in taking such a risk....

Thats unless you are willing to sell a kidney in the case that you have to replace the mic...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I test mics I usually stack the vocal three times... I find it gives me the best representation of the mics qualities.
you know what another real good test is? pitch shift the recorded vocals. the better mics will always sound _much_ better when the material is shifted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search