The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro but Cheap Vocal chain used on upcoming major release Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethdk View Post
thats all good & I feel u. If i was just workin on my own projects with my own artists then it will probably just be u87 all the time. I get what i want out of that. BUT... i work with alot of established artists who r very finicky about the chains they use to record vocals. They go for the tried and true chains they have always used and r very reluctant to change their formula. certain established rappers wont do anything unless its a c800g to 1073 or u87 to 737
I think what a lot of engineers who arent heavily urban based tend to forget is that the bar has really raised up a lot in terms of vocal quality used in hip hop recordings.

Now a days, you wouldnt use anything less to do a rap recording, then you would with a R&B recording. That saying "it should be good enough for rap" can no longer apply, because the case of the mainstream, vocal chain quality for rap is more demanding now than the vocal chains typically used for other genres.
Cheap, dirty, and gritty is not the sound thats dominating at the moment in the mainstream of rap music.

Most hip hop engineers that I know around my area, and including myself, who have access to these mics always choose to default to at least a U87, or a C800G at the start of each recording session. Those seem to do a pretty good job despite who you might put in front of it.

I myself though like to go the extra mile if there is time and audition different mics for each different artist that I produce for. I dont really believe in a do-all or be-all mic for every person and every situation.

In regards to an average session with a normal paying client, I might not wont to waste as much time auditioning, and I might just stick with the defaults.... unless trying a different mic is suggested by the client, or for some reason a U87 or C800G is just not doing the client any favours.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Tony, what more can you tell us about this 1.5k range mic that sounds similar to a C800G?

Is it one of them Studio Projects C1 - Neumann U87 type relationships again?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I can't believe that someone has to 'prove' that a blue mic and a GR pre can be used on a 'major' album. Umm, yea? Duh. And Metallica released Saint Anger too. You can do anything you want on a major release. A lot of artists end up using takes from their SM58s as vocal mics.

The blue mics and GR is fine. Anyone that feels that you need a 12K USD vocal chain to get a decent sound is nuts.
sorry to hurt ur feelings homie. from the time i started in game every stop i ever been on always used "high end" industry standard vocal chains. if it wasnt u87 it was sony. a few times it was m147 and in past year or so blue bottle has been poppin up. M.O.P. recorded w/ an RNC but those were only folks i seen with them. They werent in any of the nyc studios i frequented. Blueberry, great river, et all r pretty new to the game and definately been under the radar for me. I see praises on the net but if i dont hear for myself i dont believe anything i read in regards to gear & plugins.

sm58's? never

whose metallica? didnt they do "the message"? heh
Old 21st August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Hey Tony, what more can you tell us about this 1.5k range mic that sounds similar to a C800G?

Is it one of them Studio Projects C1 - Neumann U87 type relationships again?
The mic we are talking about is the Peluso VTB:

John and I have been talking about this mic for the last two years, and it's now in production.

He has basically cloned the C800G capsule (same design/ same specs as the C800G) and is using a new low noise amplifier circuit with a more reliable tube.

I'll have it tomorrow... He says it's within + or - 1 db of the C800G throughout it's frequency range. That's within Sony's specs for differences between one C800G and the next... we'll all find out soon. I think we'll be selling it for $1271.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The mic we are talking about is the Peluso Bottle:

He has basically cloned the C800G capsule (a new capsule with the same specs as the C800G) and is using a new low noise amplifier circuit with a more reliable tube.

I'll have it tomorrow... He says it's within + or - 1 db of the C800G throughout it's frequency range. That's within Sony's specs for differences between one C800G and the next... we'll all find out soon.
very skeptical got to hear this. still wanna hear the KAT "c800g" as well.
Old 21st August 2007

Quote:
very skeptical got to hear this. still wanna hear the KAT "c800g" as well.
Why are you skeptical? He's been the authorized Sony repair guy for years... who better to make a similar sounding mic then someone who's working on them and also makes some great mics.. I'm pretty sure he can make this sound very close..
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why are you skeptical? He's been the authorized Sony repair guy for years... who better to make a similar sounding mic.
I'm skeptical about the peluso, not the KAT.
Old 21st August 2007

Quote:
I'm skeptical about the peluso, not the KAT.
I'm talking about John Peluso not Tracy Korby.... Tracy worked on vintage mics and fixed a couple Elam's for me in the past. John was Sony's guy....
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm talking about John Peluso not Tracy Korby.
i knew tracy korby tuned the sony's never knew about john peluso workin on sony's.

aint enough. i gotta hear it. If his $1200 sony clone sounds like a c800g he has a customer. need one to test here for a few days but i'll listen to ur "test first".
Old 21st August 2007

Quote:
i knew tracy korby tuned the sony's never knew about john peluso workin on sony's.

aint enough. i gotta hear it. If his $1200 sony clone sounds like a c800g he has a customer. need one to test here for a few days but i'll listen to ur "test first".
Well, we don't have to wait long....
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, we don't have to wait long....
Im definitely up for seeing how this mic holds up, I myself cant wait either heh.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus-sounds.com View Post
Hey. This is gearslutz! Get both.
They are so cheap and you will have two colors.
I recorded this guy, from the DC Area. This is Sugar Ray Leonard's (the boxer) newphew.

Blue Blueberry-> GR MEQ-1NV-> RNLA. Thats it

MySpace.com - F.T.P. - LANHAM, Maryland - Hip Hop / Rap / R&B - www.myspace.com/ftpland

I dont know what was used in the mix!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If his $1200 sony clone sounds like a c800g he has a customer.
+1
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

+2.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The mic we are talking about is the Peluso Bottle:
John and I have been talking about this mic for the last two years, and it's now in production.

He has basically cloned the C800G capsule (same design/ same specs as the C800G) and is using a new low noise amplifier circuit with a more reliable tube.

I'll have it tomorrow... He says it's within + or - 1 db of the C800G throughout it's frequency range. That's within Sony's specs for differences between one C800G and the next... we'll all find out soon. I think we'll be selling it for $1271.
Tracy Korby here in town also make a C-800 style mic
Old 21st August 2007
Thanks ShoBiz,
I'm going to buy the RNLA first. I'll post some clips in a week two when I get one.
Old 22nd August 2007

I've been playing around with the VTB tonight... I'm very impressed with this microphone. It's got the neutral mids like the C800G, and a wonderful top end... I'll do the comparison thing we talked about in a few days... I think it will hold up very well to the real 800G.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been playing around with the VTB tonight... I'm very impressed with this microphone. It's got the neutral mids like the C800G, and a wonderful top end... I'll do the comparison thing we talked about in a few days... I think it will hold up very well to the real 800G.
Hopefully it does, cuz if thats the case, that mic would be a perfect remote recording solution for having that 800G sound.

I'd probably get two of them...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I lent a friend my blue kiwi the other night to do an rnb track with this chick who had the hottest voice, was kiwi straight into his 001 no eq or comp and it sounded great. He's gonna bring the tracks up for me to do some eq with my avalon 2055 and some nice compression either through my buzz soc or essence or pendulum es8, either should sound real nice.

My new chain is blue kiwi > buzz elixir pre > buzz soc > avalon ad2055 eq > apogee, I'm now finally happy with it, sounds damn near perfect.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Tony that peluso vtb looks splendid. Does it have changeable caps?
Old 22nd August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Hey Tony that peluso vtb looks splendid. Does it have changeable caps?
Nope... no interchangeable caps...
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

So is there any new info to report in regards to the performance of that mic?
Old 24th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
So is there any new info to report in regards to the performance of that mic?
It sounds like a C800G... people will not be able to tell the difference.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
big statement there
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds good enough for me to invest in one of those next month, and try it out for myself. If all is good it should make for an awesome asset to my remote recording solution.
Old 24th August 2007

Quote:
big statement there
With the preface that all C800G's do not sound the same... this mic is as close to a C800G as one C800G could be to the next.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Well That's A Bold Enough Statement... Count Me In. I Take It Like Most Peluso's, It Requires A PSU - Could You Advise On How To Go About Ordering One Compatible For UK Voltage? (240v)
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the preface that all C800G's do not sound the same... this mic is as close to a C800G as one C800G could be to the next.
I'm definitely in. It would've taken me a while to save up for a C800G, so I'm very happy if all this is true.
Old 24th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
Well That's A Bold Enough Statement... Count Me In. I Take It Like Most Peluso's, It Requires A PSU - Could You Advise On How To Go About Ordering One Compatible For UK Voltage? (240v)
Yes, the VTB requires a PSU like all tube mics (which is included)... The units we sell have switchable power supplies, and will work anywhere in the world. You can drop me an email for more info.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with sethdk
that is a big statement...I'd love to hear some sound clips!

AA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search