The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which vocal mic for £200-£300? Condenser Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

Which vocal mic for £200-£300?

What mic do you guys recommend in the £200-£300 price bracket? Are there any popular models I should check out?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

ADK Hamburg is nice
Old 20th August 2007
I always hear good things about Audio Technica 4033, SE 2200A can be good...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Studio Projects C1

SM57

for a lil more than 3 i think, an AKG3000...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Afterwards I good question would be what preamp do you plan on running that through?
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
What mic do you guys recommend in the £200-£300 price bracket? Are there any popular models I should check out?

I would say with great emphasis, the Rode NT2000. I like the sound of that mic far better than my Blueberry, which cost over double.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Audio Technica 4033 CL.. I think its in that price range. I use to have the mic then I sold it to someone I do music with and we still use it to this day for rap vocals. It matches up with my Rode k2 in quality sometimes. Id buy it back if I was looking fot another cheap mic.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Best Mic For Hip Hop

Audio Technica 4040 with a Focusrite pre. Done - end of story. Its the best combination for hip hop out there for under 1K.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Audio Technica 4040 with a Focusrite pre. Done - end of story. Its the best combination for hip hop out there for under 1K.
Its depends man..

IMO, for an Audio Technica to do things I want it to do for me, I have to be running it through a very agressive sounding preamp. I tried it with an RNP once back in the day, very boring...... the RNP was too transparent and the 4040 too neutral to begin with for my tastes.

If your preamp is on the softer, less agressive or transparent side, get a mic with more character, like a C1, or maybe even a Rode.

If your pre has more bite, than something like a 4040 can be perfect, pretty smooth sounding.

Its worth noting though, while the 4040 can be used for vocals, they have other models of Audio Technica mics that were made to have a bit of a lift in the top end to make it more suited for voice over work. Like the 4050 for example..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search