The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help choose audio interface. Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Help choose audio interface.

Please help me choose a good interface thats stable with good sound quality. I am currently using
M-audio 1814 along with protools M-powered and I decided to pick up Logic Pro strictly to seqeunce soft synths and samplers. I am going to bounce files out of logic pro back to protools for mixing, vocal recording, and transfering session to other studios.

My budget is less than a grand. Please advise. Thanks
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

You don't need any interface to do this. You can just export each track one at a time. Then import them in to PT.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

what I am looking for is a better interface with better sound quality, I often read on this forum about interfaces like Halo, lavry, apogee etc, I am not familiar with them so a little insight would be helpful.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have the Metric Halo ULN-2. Only 2 in and 2 out plus headphones and monitor out... But the quality of this unit is outstanding. I use to have a Motu 828mkII and upgraded to the ULN-2. The difference is amazing! Well worth the upgrade...

I can highly recommend this unit....

Hugo
Old 20th August 2007
Lavry, Apogee etc are mainly converter manufacturers, not interface (apogee ensemble excluded). you'd still need your M-Audio interface (probably via S/P-DIF).

But, have you really got problems with your current interface? If you're not working in a treated room, with top quality monitoring, £2k of posh converter is unlikely to make a vast difference.

If you're going to spend that sort of money on a 2 channel interface (which, as the previous poster points out, you don't need to get sounds from logic to PT - just export audio) you'd better make sure you've already spent about the same on treating your room. If not, you'd be better off spending it on a good pair of monitors, acoustic treatment, extra soft synths, a good preamp etc - that sort of thing will make more of a difference to your setup. if you're just in the corner of your bedroom like most of us, it's a total waste of money.

I think you've been reading more about what you think you should get, rather than looking at what you actually need. What's causing YOU issues in your setup? What do YOU have problems with when working?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

For Less than a grand there is not much you can do to help your situation. What you need to look at is getting some external converters for your setup, at least some external Analog-to-digital conversion. But buying a good external AD/AD new could run close to 2 grand.

If you save up a few more hundred you can grab a brand new, much more effecient interface like the RME Fireface 800 for around $1500, that comes with great built in converters which can give you more than a great step up from what you have right now.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Lavry, Apogee etc are mainly converter manufacturers, not interface (apogee ensemble excluded). you'd still need your M-Audio interface (probably via S/P-DIF).

But, have you really got problems with your current interface? If you're not working in a treated room, with top quality monitoring, £2k of posh converter is unlikely to make a vast difference.

If you're going to spend that sort of money on a 2 channel interface (which, as the previous poster points out, you don't need to get sounds from logic to PT - just export audio) you'd better make sure you've already spent about the same on treating your room. If not, you'd be better off spending it on a good pair of monitors, acoustic treatment, extra soft synths, a good preamp etc - that sort of thing will make more of a difference to your setup. if you're just in the corner of your bedroom like most of us, it's a total waste of money.

I think you've been reading more about what you think you should get, rather than looking at what you actually need. What's causing YOU issues in your setup? What do YOU have problems with when working?
Hey thanks for taking time to respond. Currently my routine is composing beats with my mpc, track to protools, and then take it to another studio to record vocals.

Since I have been learning logic at a friends place i completely comfortable alternating btw my mpc and logic to produce. I figured I should get a really good converter to complement logic so I can take really good audio quality to the other studio. That in a nutshell is my current situation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search