The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SP606 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th August 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

SP606

I am looking for something that has pads a drum style sampler a sequencer isnt so important but the sound of it is. I want something that will help give my drums the color/tone from around 1998-2003. I want to keep it under $600 any suggestions? I think 16 bit may work better for me because 12 bit is going to be a little too gritty. I am thinking about the sp606 but I don't know how clean that will sound. The mpc 1000 may be too clean and Im not even sure if the mpc 2000 will be too clean. I want just a light distortion. Something dirty enough to do hip hop from that time frame but clean enough to step into the pop world as well. Any suggestions are appriciated thanks
Old 18th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
I am looking for something that has pads a drum style sampler a sequencer isnt so important but the sound of it is. I want something that will help give my drums the color/tone from around 1998-2003. I want to keep it under $600 any suggestions? I think 16 bit may work better for me because 12 bit is going to be a little too gritty. I am thinking about the sp606 but I don't know how clean that will sound. The mpc 1000 may be too clean and Im not even sure if the mpc 2000 will be too clean. I want just a light distortion. Something dirty enough to do hip hop from that time frame but clean enough to step into the pop world as well. Any suggestions are appriciated thanks
ensoniq asr-x
Old 18th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

hummm... I always thought the quality of the sounds comes from the selection of sounds/patches/samples you load into the drummachine.


and if you get something too old, It might be harder to repair it if you have a problem.
Old 18th August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
ensoniq asr-x
i didnt even think of the asrx
Old 18th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
hummm... I always thought the quality of the sounds comes from the selection of sounds/patches/samples you load into the drummachine.


and if you get something too old, It might be harder to repair it if you have a problem.
yes and no. an asr 10 does not sound the same way a mpc 2500 does and lets not forget how technology has gotten better since the 80s to now. I feel the machines of today are too clean/sterile sounding. I want something with that slight bit of distrotion but still clean enough to do pop records with. With pads. I think an asrx may be good for me
Old 18th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

Hummm... I own both. never thought that deeply into either and never will. I just turn it on and load sounds until I find what I want.

I have compared the ASR-X directly to the ASR-10. dfegad ASR-X. I would rather have my EPS16+ back first.

But that's only MY opinion. heh Seems like you already know what you want.
Old 18th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Hummm... I own both. never thought that deeply into either and never will. I just turn it on and load sounds until I find what I want.

I have compared the ASR-X directly to the ASR-10. dfegad ASR-X. I would rather have my EPS16+ back first.

But that's only MY opinion. heh Seems like you already know what you want.
whats the difference in sonic quality between the x and the 10? i've only touched an asr-x back in like 97 when i was too broke to buy one. i'd go to the local music shop and make beats on it like twice a week. haha.
Old 18th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Hummm... I own both. never thought that deeply into either and never will. I just turn it on and load sounds until I find what I want.

I have compared the ASR-X directly to the ASR-10. dfegad ASR-X. I would rather have my EPS16+ back first.

But that's only MY opinion. heh Seems like you already know what you want.
i do and i dont. i know the sound i want as in the tone. im not sure what machine that will achieve this that i actually want. i just thought the asrx was a genious idea. i am also lookin into the 16+ i have owned the classic and i miss it i may even get another one of those but i really would prefer something with pads
Old 18th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

check ebay too.....they're goin for insane cheap. like $200-300
Old 18th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

yea i think the most ive ever seen one go for is 400 i can dig it i gotta do some saving tho watching some videos with it on youtube i think it sounds like just what im looking for thanks
Old 18th August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
whats the difference in sonic quality between the x and the 10? i've only touched an asr-x back in like 97 when i was too broke to buy one. i'd go to the local music shop and make beats on it like twice a week. haha.
Well...I think they would have done better giving the X another name. Most folks that I know was looking for an upgraded 10 but were very disappointed. Many(that i know) did not like the onboard sounds. They didnt seem as smooth as the 10.

from Mirage to EPS to ESP16+ to ASR-10 was steps in the right direction. All that seemed to change with the ASR-X.

But hey...maybe it'll be better for someone that's not use to the other Ensoniq boards.
Old 18th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Well...I think they would have done better giving the X another name. Most folks that I know was looking for an upgraded 10 but were very disappointed. Many(that i know) did not like the onboard sounds. They didnt seem as smooth as the 10.

from Mirage to EPS to ESP16+ to ASR-10 was steps in the right direction. All that seemed to change with the ASR-X.

But hey...maybe it'll be better for someone that's not use to the other Ensoniq boards.
i own a esq1. I used to have a 12bit eps classic it was the first machine I ever used but I sold it kuz I couldnt figure it out but I loved the sound but want something clean sounding but not sterile like newer samplers. I still kick myself in the ass for selling my eps tho. After watching a few videos on youtube featuring this machine I think it may be perfect for me sound wise. I can learn a new machine. I even spent some time with the eps 16 rack and played with the keyboard version at guitar center 2 weeks ago. I would have to say Ive used or owned more ensoniq gear than anything else lol
Old 19th August 2007
  #13
Gear Head
 

SP-606

The SP-606 is a hot machine.

One thing that it DOES NOT DO that will piss you off is YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PITCH OF YOUR SAMPLES! It has a stupid thing that "pitch shifts" your loop or whatever to the selcted bpm, but I find it very unusable- it's no MPC.

It has balanced ins & outs, and the FX are killer. I have an MPC as well, but I use it conjunction with the SP and ALSO the SP-606 has a 'long' mode where you can sample at half the quality of 16bit/44.1- that adds a nice SP-12, EPS roughness to hits.

It has a cheapo chopper, and some other cool stuff- I use it as my live box, and many times in the studio I use it just for the FX- the samples time is sick (like 3 hours with the card in it) and that's time you have access to at all times- basically you could DJ with the thing (loading WAVs via USB takes 4-eva though---

Did I mention the FX, although not high quality are funner than a drunk hooker!

Good luck
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Maddstone / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump