The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pattern-Based Sequencing Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th August 2007
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Pattern-Based Sequencing

I use my Triton to sequence patterns and then chain them together as songs. I used to have more fun doin this on my Esq-1. I've been thinking about getting a used MPC 1000 for this purpose.

Are there any software programs that let you make patterns and chain them together, emulating an MPC style situation?

I'm lookin' into Guru, but it doesn't have that feature right?
Old 17th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

mpc1k will do it with JJ os, or FL studio.......right now guru doesn't sequence midi. just samples.
Old 18th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mix-it-well's Avatar
 

FL Studio is great for synthie-based Hiphop Beats.
It supports VSTs ,what would you want more?
Old 18th August 2007
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-it-well View Post
FL Studio is great for synthie-based Hiphop Beats.
It supports VSTs ,what would you want more?

thanks guys,

i forgot to mention that i'm on a mac, my bad. any choices mac-wise??
Old 18th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Any sequencing software

Just set bars 1-4 or 1-8 or 1-16 (however large you want your section) to loop, and make the pattern

Then work on another 8 bars, set that to loop, etc etc

Make another pattern, and so on

The copy/paste the sections as you desire
Old 18th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Ableton Live is great when it comes to pattern-based (live) stuff. thumbsup
Old 18th August 2007
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
Ableton Live is great when it comes to pattern-based (live) stuff. thumbsup
thanks, i'm gonna check it out
Old 18th August 2007
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
DanDolo's Avatar
 

Logic

Logic is great at pattern-based sequencing, just learn the key-command to pack a folder.
Old 18th August 2007
  #9
cpu
Gear Addict
 
cpu's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
Ableton Live is great when it comes to pattern-based (live) stuff. thumbsup
i'll second that emotion.
Old 19th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
I use my Triton to sequence patterns and then chain them together as songs. I used to have more fun doin this on my Esq-1. I've been thinking about getting a used MPC 1000 for this purpose.

Are there any software programs that let you make patterns and chain them together, emulating an MPC style situation?

I'm lookin' into Guru, but it doesn't have that feature right?
Ableton Live. Also I just bought an ESQ-1. I cannot figure out how to chain my sequences together with it. How can I do that? I did it in song mode on eps but this sequencer is a little bit different. Also is there a way to scroll patches from other devices directly on the esq-1? does it have any form of patch recall for other synths when u connect directly to it? Sorry to "jack your thread" you're the only person I have bumped into that has ever used one of these. I love the sounds on it. Why did you sell yours?
Old 19th August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Reasons Redrum supports pattern based sequencing. An old school fave...REBIRTH!!!
Old 19th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Guru has pattern based sequencing. After you create your patterns you can chain them together by using the Scene function.

You never really mentioned if you are looking for something to just sequence drums, or to sequence entire beats with.

Either way, all the suggestions so far should be enough to get you going on your researching.
Old 20th August 2007
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
right now guru doesn't sequence midi. just samples.
not true, it sequences MIDI and if you have a host that supports MIDI out from plugins (Cubase, Bidule, Sonar..) you can use Guru to drive other MIDI devices. It also exports MIDI (in any host) so you can drag patterns you've made in Guru straight to the arrange page in PT, Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Sonar, FL etc.
Old 20th August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic
mpc1k will do it with JJ os, or FL studio.......right now guru doesn't sequence midi. just samples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX View Post
not true, it sequences MIDI and if you have a host that supports MIDI out from plugins (Cubase, Bidule, Sonar..) you can use Guru to drive other MIDI devices. It also exports MIDI (in any host) so you can drag patterns you've made in Guru straight to the arrange page in PT, Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Sonar, FL etc.
I guess thats the kind of stuff we people can learn how to do from actually reading the manual first.
Old 20th August 2007
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Actually not.. its not in the manual yet as the Manual Guy here hasn't had a chance to update it since that update came out
Old 20th August 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX View Post
Actually not.. its not in the manual yet as the Manual Guy here hasn't had a chance to update it since that update came out
yeah i read the manual cover to cover.......didn't know my bad angus!
Old 20th August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

cubase 2.0 or Sweet16 on atari st, no modern sequencer touches these for midi timing and simplicity in putting together patterns
Old 20th August 2007
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Logic, its gets my vote. Ive been jumping back and forth between the MPC 2000XL + S950 combo, to Logic to keep things fresh. I love Logic.

Its the king of midi sequencing, in my opinion.

Peace,

Rob
Old 20th August 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Nuendo 3 has to be my favourite by far for great midi sequencing that doesn't try to hamper my creative process.

I gotta say that its also amoung the kings of midi sequencing IMO.
Old 21st August 2007
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
Ableton Live. Also I just bought an ESQ-1. I cannot figure out how to chain my sequences together with it. How can I do that? I did it in song mode on eps but this sequencer is a little bit different. Also is there a way to scroll patches from other devices directly on the esq-1? does it have any form of patch recall for other synths when u connect directly to it? Sorry to "jack your thread" you're the only person I have bumped into that has ever used one of these. I love the sounds on it. Why did you sell yours?
xabiton,

i haven't used the esq-1's sequencer in years, but its pretty easy if i remember correctly. you go into song mode, and within that you get steps, for each step you can select a pattern and how many times you
want it to loop/play.then on to the next step/pattern thats pretty much it. Just the simplicity of it used to make me create a bunch of change-ups
and breakdowns without killin ' the workflow. dont know why but i've never felt that way about the triton's sequencer... i still have it (esq) in storage, might pull it out...hit me up if you still can't get it goin'


everyone else,
thanks for the suggestions, gonna put the work in and check out these options...things just seem to flow when you get the right combo!!thumbsup


Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
Logic is great at pattern-based sequencing, just learn the key-command to pack a folder.
can PT do pattern-based as well??
Old 21st August 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
xabiton,

i haven't used the esq-1's sequencer in years, but its pretty easy if i remember correctly. you go into song mode, and within that you get steps, for each step you can select a pattern and how many times you
want it to loop/play.then on to the next step/pattern thats pretty much it. Just the simplicity of it used to make me create a bunch of change-ups
and breakdowns without killin ' the workflow. dont know why but i've never felt that way about the triton's sequencer... i still have it (esq) in storage, might pull it out...hit me up if you still can't get it goin'


everyone else,
thanks for the suggestions, gonna put the work in and check out these options...things just seem to flow when you get the right combo!!thumbsup
thanks i knew i forgot something somewhere i still wonder if there is anyway to call up patches from my juno on the esq1



Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
can PT do pattern-based as well??
i dont remember saying anything about logic. I have never used it I don't care much for macs. Ableton is good for patterns tho. And I think PT is all linear Ive never actually sequenced a track inside of Pro Tools
Old 21st August 2007
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDolo View Post
Logic is great at pattern-based sequencing, just learn the key-command to pack a folder.
can this be done in Pro Tools


Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
i dont remember saying anything about logic. I have never used it I don't care much for macs. Ableton is good for patterns tho. And I think PT is all linear Ive never actually sequenced a track inside of Pro Tools
thanks mane,
that question was for DanDolo, dont know why it put your name on it. As far as Juno patches on the Esq, I've never explored that, but i think its syntaur.com that has patches for it
Old 22nd August 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
another vote for logic man, Live left me in the huh, wtf stages.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
digiman / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
16
ellipse / So much gear, so little time
0
b3beater / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump