The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When you get new records....
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

When you get new records....

do you leave the shrink wrap on, or take it off? I was just wondering about this as I just got some new vinyl in the mail and was curious was you guys do!

I personally try to make a slit at the opening to leave the wrap on, but that doesn't always work so well so I usually just rip it off...

Sorry for the lame thread, I know. I just love vinyl.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

I don't think I have actually gotten a vinyl with shrink wrap on it. I mostly order them straight from the records companies. I like vinyl too....it definitely gives things a more authentic sound. I need to put mine to CD format, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 17th August 2007
cpu
Gear Addict

I make a slit with my fingernail (which has more than once led to a nasty papercut over the last 10 or so years) and leave it on there. I find they hold up a little better. I am pretty rough on my records and gigs...shoving more than i should into my record bag and whatnot, and i think the shrinkwrap keeps 'em looking better for a little longer.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

pshhh.... amatuers!

you dont know the pants trick?

take the record, find the side where the opening is, then with that side against your leg, move the record back and forth really fast in a sawing motion for a few seconds. The friction will cause the shrinkwrap to split along that side, so you can get your record out and the shrinkwrap stays on and protects the cover.

viola!
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

vinyl? whats that?

used to have vinyl back in the days. been using serato on my radio show past 2 years and b4 that used cdj's. In europe and asia vinyl still warrants somethin. I sold my whole vinyl collection to japanese buyer.

never bought retail vinyl. my older brother was a radio n club dj and his connects at labels were grandfathered in but one thing i i've heard from way back is that if u keep the plastic on the vinyl it keeps the heat in during the hot months and they can warp ur records, especially in the crates.

to open just rub the sealed opening across ur thigh a few times. (pants or jeans on, not bare lol!) no more papercuts. old school trick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search